MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This would have been asked eventually... jordan19 General Discussion 57 10-10-2010 08:26 PM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM
Frequently Asked Questions: First Year ferreinm First Year Success 14 07-29-2008 11:57 AM

I know this question is asked very often but...

Old 02-19-2011 at 02:04 PM   #1
shayboy4

Liked: 0 Times

I know this question is asked very often but...
Will I get into Mac's Life Sciences Program...?
My marks are as stated.

Grade 11

Functions 85
English 80
Biology 90
Chemistry 92
Physics 88
Media Studies 81
Fitness 88
Drama 90

Grade 12

Advanced Functions 93
Biology 87
Physics 81
Exercise Science 82

I also have Chemistry, English and Calculus and Vectors this semester but I dont know the marks as they just started.

Other than that, I have like 80 something volunteering hours and I have volunteered at a hospital (if it makes it any better haha)

But what do you guys think? I'm extremely anxious and it's so nerve wracking waiting for a word from MacMasters. I really wanna study there...
Old 02-19-2011 at 02:07 PM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayboy4 View Post
My marks are as stated.

Grade 11

Functions 85
English 80
Biology 90
Chemistry 92
Physics 88
Media Studies 81
Fitness 88
Drama 90

Grade 12

Advanced Functions 93
Biology 87
Physics 81
Exercise Science 82

I also have Chemistry, English and Calculus and Vectors this semester but I dont know the marks as they just started.

Other than that, I have like 80 something volunteering hours and I have volunteered at a hospital (if it makes it any better haha)

But what do you guys think? I'm extremely anxious and it's so nerve wracking waiting for a word from MacMasters. I really wanna study there...
You can't really predict that with 3 of your courses unaccounted for. All you can really do is aim for the top part of the cutoff range, or higher.

Like other people have suggested on other threads, you could always apply for Environmental Science and shadow Life Science if you don't get into it this year.

Good luck!

Last edited by alh24 : 02-19-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2011
Stock
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-19-2011 at 02:30 PM   #3
shayboy4

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
You can't really predict that with 3 of your courses unaccounted for. All you can really do is aim for the top part of the cutoff range, or higher.

Like other people have suggested on other threads, you could always apply for Environmental Science and shadow Life Science if you don't get into it this year.

Good luck!
Thanks. but yeah what do people usually get in with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
**** OFF.

12charsbitch

wat.
Old 02-19-2011 at 02:35 PM   #4
Stock

Liked: 56 Times

ummmm hey guys i have like an 88 avg

and like will i like get into life sci?
Old 02-19-2011 at 02:36 PM   #5
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Thanks. but yeah what do people usually get in with?
That's dependent on a few factors. If the admission cutoff is mid- to high 80's, you should be aiming for the top of that range or higher. I know people who didn't get into Life Science with 85-87 averages in my first year. All programs have enrollment limits, so if there are a lot of applicants to Life Science with really high admission averages this year, a mid-80's average may not cut it. Aim high.
Old 02-19-2011 at 02:36 PM   #6
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
My marks are as stated.

Grade 11

Functions 85
English 80
Biology 90
Chemistry 92
Physics 88
Media Studies 81
Fitness 88
Drama 90

Grade 12

Advanced Functions 93
Biology 87
Physics 81
Exercise Science 82

A) No, volunteering doesn't make a difference unless you're applying to health science.
B) It's McMaster, not MacMasters >_>
C) You seem to be in the middle of the cutoff range, so try to maintain what you've obtained in your first semester for this midterm, or higher (preferably 87+) and you should be fine.

/thread

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-19-2011 at 02:37 PM   #7
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Look, the final average change from year to year, none of us have any concrete information on actual cut off ranges. When i applied 3 years ago, i got in with an 85, it has changed since then and official cut offs are rarely released. Focus on your school work and get a higher average. Also not getting into Mcmaster is not the end of the road, medical schools do not care where your undergrad is from.
Old 02-19-2011 at 04:25 PM   #8
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
ummmm hey guys i have like an 88 avg

and like will i like get into life sci?
What are your grade 6 marks?? That's all they look at.
Old 02-19-2011 at 05:19 PM   #9
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Wait a minute, mcmaster life science has that high of a cut off?? lol was it always this high?

iirc, getting into life science was not hard.....with your marks you should have no problem lol.....
Old 02-19-2011 at 05:29 PM   #10
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I don't think so. People I know in life sci has like 94% avg.

Also nobody on Macinsiders can tell you for sure. I can guarantee nobody here works in admissions Besides don't they say somewhere what avg. you need to get in?

I read your post again, and you need to chill out! Why are you asking if you will get accepted to Mac on a message board? Why don't you wait till you hear back from the school? There are lot of people spamming macinsiders with these questions.

Last edited by jo87 : 02-19-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2011 at 06:27 PM   #11
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I don't think so. People I know in life sci has like 94% avg.

Also nobody on Macinsiders can tell you for sure. I can guarantee nobody here works in admissions Besides don't they say somewhere what avg. you need to get in?

I read your post again, and you need to chill out! Why are you asking if you will get accepted to Mac on a message board? Why don't you wait till you hear back from the school? There are lot of people spamming macinsiders with these questions.
Yeah most people in the sciences came in with 92%+ but it all gets normalized when you go up against courses designed to destroy your GPA once you're in due to being run horribly, never having been updated since the 80s and bad professors

nothing to worry about, thread starter

Old 02-21-2011 at 10:33 PM   #12
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Yeah most people in the sciences came in with 92%+ but it all gets normalized when you go up against courses designed to destroy your GPA once you're in due to being run horribly, never having been updated since the 80s and bad professors
you forgot the bit about highschool marks being ridiculously inflated