MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-06-2012 at 09:56 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Kony2012
I'm not one to start debates or anything, but I think this is something we should be concerned about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

DMe3, guildenstern all say thanks to drpatel for this post.

Old 03-06-2012 at 10:49 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

There is also a facebook event for this too.

https://www.facebook.com/events/402143553136287/
Old 03-06-2012 at 11:58 PM   #3
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

there's also one on April 1st

as there is the issue of Exams during the 21st

https://www.facebook.com/events/243175069110317/
Old 03-07-2012 at 02:24 AM   #4
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I'll just leave this here: http://tinyurl.com/77bd29h

Remember to keep an open mind about these things.

Afzal, chinadian, Desda like this.
Old 03-07-2012 at 05:24 AM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
I'll just leave this here: http://tinyurl.com/77bd29h

Remember to keep an open mind about these things.
Also, there's http://visiblechildren.tumbl r.com/ . You're probably thinking, "It's a tumblr post... -_-;"

Click the links to which it leads to, if you won't bother reading the post itself.
TL;DR: What's linked are:
  • an opinion letter by a Yale Soc Sci prof on the errors in the creative process of Invisible Children, who are in charge of the rally
  • the same financial statement that Infinity links to, except in greater detail
  • an article about how the US military already had involvement against Kony
  • also, this picture, to show how immature the owners of the not-for-profit you support by supporting Stop Kony 2012

Desda likes this.
Old 03-07-2012 at 08:29 AM   #6
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

This man has been tormenting children for so many years, so why is it that people are starting to pay attention now?

Desda likes this.
Old 03-07-2012 at 08:31 AM   #7
3am Coffee

Liked: 157 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
This man has been tormenting children for so many years, so why is it that people are paying attention to this now?
I was going to make a post like this earlier, but i figured it would be deleted.

I really don't get it, this kind of thing has been going on for decades. And now because suddenly millions of people including celebrities are bringing this to attention, all the little sheep feel so largely about this issue?

I guess its just to feel like you're part of something?

Afzal, candyman, Desda like this.
Old 03-07-2012 at 08:46 AM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

What the last couple of people have said + this: http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02...ible-children/

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 03-07-2012 at 08:53 AM   #9
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Another link pointing out some possible flaws with IC... http://visiblechildren.tumbl r.com/...we-got-trouble
Old 03-07-2012 at 09:04 AM   #10
person33

Liked: 53 Times

there's flaws in everything- just do research and make an informed decision based on it
Old 03-07-2012 at 09:11 AM   #11
Andrew A
Elite Member

Of course, all I was doing was helping people in making informed decisions by giving them bits of research already done for them...
Old 03-07-2012 at 09:34 AM   #12
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
What the last couple of people have said + this: http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02...ible-children/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A
Another link pointing out some possible flaws with IC... http://visiblechildren.tumbl r.com/po...we-got-trouble
you know i hate it when people cite outdated stuff and think its valid for that point in time. the first link was created all the way in 2006. it speaks of how then it was old news that kony was doing this and asking why people were only starting to care then and compared it to someone just hearing about 9/11 and expecting rubble when they went to check out the site. the fact of the matter is that events such as these are long lasting. and even though kony has been around for so long what makes the situation soo bad is that his actions have continued over all these years.

as for the second site, even though that post was made today, the information that they refer to is also outdated.....this is especially so when they claim that the ugandan army assaults and rapes its people and that the "recent" rapes and assaults reported have been because of them and not kony's forces because they left uganda a while ago....now the resource he referenced this to was a report on the subject published in 2001... when kony's forces were still in uganda.... now the report does blame the UPDF but the thing is is that it does not claim that they are the main source of the reports of rape and assault... i would also think that rape from the public or police would be more so reported than that from a violent organization such as Kony's. its also important to note that in that part of the work corruption is prominent and things like this (police raping civilians) isnt all too new.

finally yes the ICF does seem to support the ugandan military but the thing is, kony cant be stopped by building schools, or delivering fresh water or food, or peace talks. with those things he will continue to kidnap, to rape, to kill. in order to stop kony they need to take military action, find him, and bring him to justice.
the only thing which i do not approve of is that out of the near 8mil they make as an non-profit only 33% goes to the cause

as for those that say why now? if this has been going on for years then why do you care now? people change, countries change, and society changes with time. thier values and the things they deem important and urgent change as well. an issue that we may be overlooking today might become mainstream and relevant a few years from now.
whats more is that this is mostly due to the previous ignorance of the subject. If you dont know, if your not told that something is happening and its bad or we, then you wont care and you wont do. once people know and they realize its so bad then they will act. ICF has been trying to stop kony for several years now, when the founder found out abo0ut him he started to do something about it, now the world is starting to find out about it and hopefully it will do something to.
Old 03-07-2012 at 03:06 PM   #13
Andrew A
Elite Member

Sure, some of the sources in there may be outdated. However, I'm certain that there are people who watched Invisible Children's video - which, if you pay attention, has very little in the way of citations at all, let alone outdated ones - and instantly had a gut reaction to throw their money at this organization. That $8 million figure you just mentioned points me toward making that assumption. I simply believe that showing people facts about the situation is better than showing them sensationalized propaganda. It's unfortunate that not all the facts are accurate when it comes to the discussion on what Kony is doing or where he is, but there are still facts about Invisible Children being a bit of a sketchy "charity" to give your money to.

I am in no way against the idea of stopping Kony. Of course I'd like to see the world rid of these sorts of atrocities. However, I simply do not believe that the best way to go about making this kind of real change is to give your money to people who will spend most of it buying video production equipment and producing more viral videos to draw in even more money.
Old 03-07-2012 at 03:20 PM   #14
tamarakucera

Liked: 6 Times

because people never knew about it. that's the point of the whole thing..to bring awareness
Old 03-07-2012 at 03:22 PM   #15
tamarakucera

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am Coffee View Post
I was going to make a post like this earlier, but i figured it would be deleted.

I really don't get it, this kind of thing has been going on for decades. And now because suddenly millions of people including celebrities are bringing this to attention, all the little sheep feel so largely about this issue?

I guess its just to feel like you're part of something?
because people never knew about it. that's the point of the whole thing..to bring awareness