MacInsiders Logo

Kony2012

Old 03-07-2012 at 04:00 PM   #16
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

And I'm all for that. The only thing I don't like about this Invisible Children campaign is that they're raising money and only sending 32% (taken from their own documents) toward actually helping. Why not give your money to a charity organization then that sends more of it on, eg the Red Cross, which, according to the Better Business Bureau, is much better with a 90% expenditure of their income on the programs they run?

Lessica, Yogurt like this.
Old 03-07-2012 at 04:08 PM   #17
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Spreading awarness? Sure, I can do that.
As for my money, that's going to Amnesty International, where much more than 31% of it will go to the people they promise to help.

Chevalier likes this.
Old 03-07-2012 at 04:25 PM   #18
person33

Liked: 53 Times

everyone has their preferred charities/causes they like to give to- one is not better or more right than the other, is completely a personal choice because specific charities go about issues in totally different ways
Old 03-07-2012 at 04:29 PM   #19
person33

also must be effective if politicans in canada and the us are even talking about africa- which is rare unless its libya or somewhere with oil and other interests
Old 03-07-2012 at 04:42 PM   #20
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I really like that they are targeting such a criminal in such a public matter, spreading awareness. There are many such war criminals and face it, no country wants to dedicate resources unless it becomes an election issue. Also, I had personally never heard of Kony before seeing it on facebook today, and find it surprising that he is so high on the warlord list.

However, I dislike one of their methods. Advertisement, targeting celebrities and politicians, facebook, a pretty good website, and encouraging petitions/letters are all pretty good and respectable methods of raising awareness. BUT publicly encouraging the defacement of multiple cities across the globe is pushing it for me. Other methods are available and would likely be just as effective. I support this cause but not this method.

On a side note I find it amusing that PM Harper is the only non-US "policy-maker" that they are targeting (with exception to the UN Secretary General).
Old 03-07-2012 at 06:32 PM   #21
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
everyone has their preferred charities/causes they like to give to- one is not better or more right than the other, is completely a personal choice because specific charities go about issues in totally different ways
31% of profits from IC goes to the people they help.
90+% of the profits of Amnesty go to the people they help.

But no, it's totally a personal choice and there's no difference whatseover. There totally aren't ratings to show you how different NPO's use your money. Nope.

Please. I'd rather have $27 out of my $30 go to actual aid, rather than $10. That's a pretty big difference.
Old 03-07-2012
aw07
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-07-2012 at 09:30 PM   #22
person33

but a person may or may not agree with how amnesty goes about spending their money where they do agree with the methods of IC- thats what i meant by personal choice im not debating how much money goes to what facet of any organization because as with anything all sides need to be viewed critically both pro and con- thats what if anything university has taught me personally and that facts are often produced for a purpose- its never just a case of facts are facts and thats it
Old 03-07-2012 at 09:54 PM   #23
KatieP

Liked: 0 Times

This is cool
Old 03-07-2012 at 10:35 PM   #24
mediagurl

Liked: 22 Times

http://www.blackstarnews.com /news/...010-06-02.html

Eye opener.
Old 03-07-2012 at 10:36 PM   #25
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times

Kony 2012? Is he the official republican candidate?

--HP--, Afzal like this.
Old 03-08-2012 at 05:15 AM   #26
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

On the other hand, there's this.
Old 03-08-2012 at 11:40 AM   #27
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

And there is this and this.
Old 03-08-2012 at 12:38 PM   #28
person33

i dont get it- first young people are stereotyped as lazy and not caring about anything but themselves, yet when they get involved in campaigns like this to bring awareness about issues like uganda people just assume and complain that they are sheep following the herd, and that they are just a bunch of misinformed kids- which is it? do people want kids sitting on the couch all day not even being aware of the world, or do they want to see kids taking an interest in things that go way beyond themselves- hopefully this dialogue that has been opened will continue far beyond kony and uganda regarldess of who is leading this; whats important is the issues being brought to the table
Old 03-08-2012 at 12:53 PM   #29
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
i dont get it- first young people are stereotyped as lazy and not caring about anything but themselves, yet when they get involved in campaigns like this to bring awareness about issues like uganda people just assume and complain that they are sheep following the herd, and that they are just a bunch of misinformed kids- which is it? do people want kids sitting on the couch all day not even being aware of the world, or do they want to see kids taking an interest in things that go way beyond themselves- hopefully this dialogue that has been opened will continue far beyond kony and uganda regarldess of who is leading this; whats important is the issues being brought to the table
What does it matter what other people think? Who actually listens to stereotypes anymore?

Besides, one should make informed decisions based on all the information available, but that doesn't mean ideas can't be challenged. A cause without research is a dead cause.

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 03-08-2012 at 01:06 PM.