MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Tutorial and Lab times Auror.lah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-08-2011 11:00 AM
psych 1x03 tutorial question krispies123 Academics 5 09-09-2010 01:48 PM
psych 1XX3 core/tutorial question ela232 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-12-2010 09:41 AM
Math 1ZA3 Question - Core/Tutorial Selection Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-22-2010 12:18 PM
Could someone please check my mock timetable? + Tutorial question katherinelew First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 06-13-2010 08:26 PM

Lab/Tutorial Question

Old 08-10-2011 at 11:12 PM   #1
Michael23

Liked: 0 Times

Lab/Tutorial Question
So I have Engineering 1do4 Lab Before a the Eng 1d04 Tutorial how does that work should you have your core and tutorial before a lab or does it even matter? Thanks
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:55 AM   #2
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

For 1D04, the lecture consists of a bunch of theory and useless stuff you don't really ever use (but must know the useless stuff for the tests). The tutorials are the T.A.'s sitting and explaining the actual applications of the "theory" stuff you learned, and actually teaching you how to write code in whatever language they're using. For labs, you'll receive a problem on a sheet of paper outlining a task of some sort (i.e. write a program that generates a red circle that grows by 10% if you click outside of it, and shrinks by 25% if you click inside of it), and you have the 3 hours to complete it and submit what you've done before you leave. T.A.'s aren't supposed to help a lot in labs, but they tend to anyway (as long as you aren't explicitly asking for answers).

So, it probably would be more useful to have tutorial before lab, so that you work your way up from the easier/basic stuff to the more complex stuff. With 1D04 though, this is an intro to programming, so if you took programming at all in high school it should relatively be a cakewalk. I had my lab 2 days before my tutorial and it was never a problem, in fact, I probably finished early nearly every lab (I took programming before though, even though I'm not that great at it). The only thing is that it made tutorial painfully boring, since I already knew how to do everything they were teaching, and it's mandatory attendance. Solution: play Pokemon on an emulator. Nothing better to do at 8:30 in the morning...

tl;dr -> If you think you're going to have some difficulty with the material, try putting your tutorial before your lab, otherwise you should be ok. Tutorial for 1D04 is basically "mandatory extra help" sessions.

Michael23 says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 01:00 PM   #3
Michael23

Liked: 0 Times

Well I have the same problem with physics but i have both the lab and tutorial on friday but there both every other week and there in the same time slot. Lab being from 8:30-11:20 and tutorial from 9:30-11:20. Since there EOW I know they will change back and forth EOW but how do we know if the tutorial is the first week and the lab the next? or vice versa?
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:46 PM   #4
Zimonada

It's probably dependent on whether you're in an even or odd lab section, but the safest bet is to just wait until the first day of classes, it'll list it in the syllabus, for sure. As for order, tutorial and lab don't really relate to each other a whole lot (beyond the fact they're for the same course...). You'll be quizzed and do group work in tutorials related to the content covered before that tutorial week (so it should moderately be "review"). Labs tend to not be related to a whole lot of anything, just do the prelabs and make sure you know what to do when you get there, get it done, and leave. Easy 10-15% of your mark.

P.S. -> For labs, watch your uncertainties.

Michael23 says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 03:02 PM   #5
PEBBLES

Liked: 2 Times

labs/tutorials full?????
When I look up CHEM1aa3 the lab sections show all full but there are several openings still under the tutorial sections. If you are assigned the same section for both lab and tutorial why would they both not be full? Will the labs/tutorials for both chem 1A03 and Biology 1A03 eventually start opening. They still are always full and make it impossible to change anything.
Old 08-11-2011 at 03:14 PM   #6
Zimonada

For CHEM 1AA3 (if it's like 1A03/1E03, someone correct me if I'm wrong) the tutorials aren't mandatory classes. They're optional, and held regularly throughout the week to go over sets of questions that will be posted prior to the tutorials. So, if you find enough time, you can do these practice sets (comparable to some test questions) and go get answers/help with what you didn't understand. Tutorials are pretty much an extra help session. I mentioned it somewhere else, but you might be better off just going to the drop-in TA's office in Thode the odd time you have questions rather than attending the scheduled tutorial, simply because it's more flexible. But by all means, if you can keep up with the tutorial questions (since it isn't explicitly scheduled into your timetable IIRC) then do that, it's probably better.

And think of it this way; they open up enough labs/tuts to accommodate all the students in the course. So right now, it's almost always going to be almost full since everyone needs a spot (unless they drop the course altogether). It really is just luck of the draw that the section you want is available when you get onto SOLAR. Keep checking periodically throughout August and more often during the first 2 weeks of classes; that's the last chance for people to drop/add/switch classes, so often people decide then what they need to make changes to.