MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Labour Studies or Hth Age? hello12311 Academics 6 07-09-2012 10:42 PM
LABOUR STUDIES 1A03 or COMMUNICATION STUDIES? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-28-2009 05:43 PM
Health Studies 1AO3 with David Penner shortyy88 Academics 2 05-06-2009 04:05 PM

Labour Studies 1AO3

Labour Studies 1AO3
Published by kl9988
08-03-2012
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
50%50%50%
Interest
50%50%50%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 65%
Labour Studies 1AO3

Easy elective !
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Labour Studies 1AO3!

Old 09-09-2012 at 09:37 AM   #2
tkola

Liked: 0 Times
whats easier, 1A03 or !C03?
Old 09-12-2012 at 08:09 PM   #3
RobWid

I'm in this class, Prof is Dr. Dave Goutor, he seems pretty good so far. Looking at the outline there is a lot of readings! To any upper year who has taken this course, how important are the readings would you say?
Old 09-13-2012 at 12:48 AM   #4
Lana02

Liked: 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWid View Post
I'm in this class, Prof is Dr. Dave Goutor, he seems pretty good so far. Looking at the outline there is a lot of readings! To any upper year who has taken this course, how important are the readings would you say?
I was in that class during summer school,i barely did the reading. And i ended up with a B.. so i didnt find it important. but it all depends on you. good luck! Gouter is a pretty cool prof

Old 12-17-2012 at 04:35 PM   #5
nadinee

Liked: 16 Times
I took this course and found it to be my easiest course here at mcmaster. You have to do two essays (no midterms) and the essays are not even that bad. Max 7 pages. The first one is 3-4 pages. The second one was the harder one, but it wasn't even hard to do. Even if you're bad at essay writing you'll be fine. You also get marks for attending tutorials (worth 15 percent of your grade) and all you have to do is show up and add your opinion or just say something once to get marks. The only thing is with this course I found it to be quite boring at times, maybe its me cause I'm not really interested in history, and canadas economy back then, but I found this course to be very easy, and you can certainly get an easy 11 or above. The final exam was not hard at ALL, and he gave two sample exams and they were practically identical. Just go to class, take good notes, put effort into your essays and you'll be well on your way.
Old 12-11-2013 at 11:35 AM   #6
Craigolas

I took this course with Dr. David Goutor in first-year and found it really interesting. His lecture style is pretty good, where he puts up a skeleton over-head with the main points and you just have to fill in the gaps. We had two short essays, marks for participating in tutorials, and a final exam. I found this course really easy because was interested in the content and the professor was really good. As long as you do the readings and go to lecture, it is definitely possible to get a 10-12.
Old 01-07-2014 at 05:29 PM   #7
fatimaa

Liked: 4 Times
Easy elective.
BUT would recommend:
- Going to lectures and taking notes (This helps when you're trying to memorize and recall information parts of the material is review from high school Ex. First Settlers, pioneers, etc)
- If you're not confident with your essay writing, go to your TA and create an essay outline or questions that he/she can check or help you on

I didn't really do any of the readings either, but it was all still manageable.
Old 01-09-2017 at 12:54 PM   #8
turkn

The Perfect Bird Course
I took Labour Studies last term with Dr. Goutor and it was one of my easiest electives. I took it because I thought it would relate to what I'm studying (first year commerce).

I found the material quite dry. I listened in class for maybe half the term before I started to slack but I honestly knew the material very well just from listening in lectures and taking very minimal notes. I did maybe 2 of the readings and the rest I didn't even touch.

The two papers were quite simple to do, took me a couple hours maximum for each and there were plenty of options to choose which topic you wanted to write about. The final exam was very straightforward and the professor posted the questions beforehand.

Honestly if you put effort into the papers, attend your tutorials and prepare for the exam, you're looking at a really good average booster with minimal effort and the dry material is 100% worth it for the mark you'll have in the end.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search