MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
language courses MacStudent1 Academics 5 08-04-2010 09:48 PM
Language course requirements? Flag Academics 1 11-22-2009 02:00 PM
Society for Language Sciences feonateresa MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-06-2009 07:59 PM
Language courses Goce Academics 31 07-13-2009 06:24 AM
Mohawk language course. What is it like? raine Academics 8 11-28-2008 06:27 PM

a language course as an elective

Old 12-09-2010 at 03:00 AM   #1
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

a language course as an elective
I originally wanted to take Spanish 1A03 "Intermediate Spanish I" but when I went to the website with the course listings http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1874.html the description has the following message:

"Not open to native speakers of Spanish. The Department reserves the right to place students in the course most appropriate to their abilities."

So since Spanish is my first language, I didn't take it. However, this means that I can take some more advanced level of Spanish, because not all of them have this message, but how am I suppose to take for example, second year spanish if they have first year as a prerequisite? who should I talk to?

Also, something else I've been considering, what if I take the course without telling anyone that is my first language, would I ever get caught? what are the risks?
Old 12-09-2010 at 03:07 AM   #2
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

You could probably take the first year course and nobody would figure it out but it would most likely be very boring for you since it's your first language and the other people in the course will be just starting out.

You could maybe talk to someone in the department and tell them that Spanish is your native tongue and that you want to take courses and blah blah blah explain it to them... they might waive the prerequisites for you.

Eternal Fire says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 12-09-2010 at 03:37 AM   #3
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
I originally wanted to take Spanish 1A03 "Intermediate Spanish I" but when I went to the website with the course listings http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1874.html the description has the following message:

"Not open to native speakers of Spanish. The Department reserves the right to place students in the course most appropriate to their abilities."

So since Spanish is my first language, I didn't take it. However, this means that I can take some more advanced level of Spanish, because not all of them have this message, but how am I suppose to take for example, second year spanish if they have first year as a prerequisite? who should I talk to?

Also, something else I've been considering, what if I take the course without telling anyone that is my first language, would I ever get caught? what are the risks?
I took Spanish 1A03 last year, and it was filled with native speakers. There were a couple people that were new immigrants and barely spoke English, but were in the class. I don't think you'll have a problem getting in.

Eternal Fire says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 12-09-2010 at 05:00 AM   #4
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

wow I didn't expect to get an answer so quickly this early in the morning, this website never sleeps!
Old 12-09-2010 at 05:38 AM   #5
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

It's actually the afternoon now for me lol