MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
McMaster Support Staff Strike Looms Chad MacInsiders Announcements 60 08-29-2009 11:33 PM

LCBO Strike Looms

Old 06-23-2009 at 09:10 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Yep, my friend stocked up as well.

Old 06-23-2009 at 09:30 PM   #16
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times
There are rules on how long a picket line is allowed to block workers/customers from crossing the picket line, but in the end they have to allow them to pass, it just causes an inconvinience.

Although unions hate hiring scabs it can be done and it would most likely be to the benefit of the LCBO, they can still be open but would pay their employees less because they are temporary, most likely wouldnt have to give them benefits or anything. All the time the striking workers lose out.

There was another post about violence trying to cross the picket line. Although this could happen because of some stupid picketers a smart company always installs security cameras to watch the picket line and record anything against the rules. (more so used in large plant strikes then store fronts but can be done.)

I am part of my 3rd union (Teamsters, 987, 362 and CUPE 18 x3) and have never seen the benefit to striking, although the workers usually get more out of the employer then they were originally wanting they always end up losing in extended strikes (the windsor strike right now and the ottawa transit workers a couple months ago) The pay raise is never going to cover the cost your lost wages, increased union dues after the strike to make it worth while from a wages point of view.
The windsor city workers have been on strike for 10 weeks now. If they make what I make at the City of Calgary they would be out over 5000 after tax dollars. There is no way that their pay raise and added benefits will cover the amount of money they could be earning if they were not striking.

Unions should suck it up like everyone else and stop thinking they are entitled to a 3% pay raise or something like that, just be happy that you still have a job and wait for next year like everyone else.

My two cents on the issue.

Old 06-23-2009 at 10:32 PM   #17
Maegs
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Unions should suck it up like everyone else and stop thinking they are entitled to a 3% pay raise or something like that, just be happy that you still have a job and wait for next year like everyone else.
In the 80s recession the teachers went on strike (I believe it was the Halton region in Ontario?) and wanted a pay raise. When the school board asked where they were supposed to get the money from, the teachers answer was to get it from the tax payers.

Things haven't changed!

Old 06-23-2009 at 10:51 PM   #18
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:

Too bad these workers may be losing their full-time jobs (pre-strike). They're fighting for job security, not a pay raise.

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:17 PM   #19
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times
Quote:

Yeah! How dare we fight for our rights! I mean, what have unions ever done for us?

Well, aside from the weekend.

And the 8 hour work day.

And sweeping safety standards.

And the minimum wage.

And protection from arbitrary dismissal.

And unemployment insurance.

Aside from all those things, what have they gotten us!?! I mean, my union (UFCW) does nothing for me...except ensure job security, clean and safe workplaces and a sense of community.

Its all fair and well for those among us privileged enough as to have not experienced a workplace where employees are mistreated and fired at random to say unions are useless and ask for too much...but its really another one of those "you don't know until you've experienced it" things.

During this recession, unionized workers are taking massive cuts in hours, wages and benefits and, yet, some companies have the audacity to dismiss or buy-out full time employees who have access to insurance and more benefits and replace them with part time employees who are paid less, have no fringe benefits and are less likely to organize.

The issue at hand is workers being exploited by employers, not greedy unions.

I'd gladly go without being in a drunken stupor every weekend for a month if it meant job security and workplace dignity for all workers.

Thats MY two cents on the issue.

BlakeM, .:callen:., Parnian all say thanks to c.erl for this post.

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:26 PM   #20
Maegs
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
During this recession, unionized workers are taking massive cuts in hours, wages and benefits...
During this recession, some people can't find a job in the first place, or can't get one that gives them more than 15 hours a week.

Also, all unions are not created equal. Certain ones get a lot more in benefits than others, but are still not willing to make any concessions, even when it means driving the company they work for towards bankruptcy.

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:42 PM   #21
JeffB

Quote:
Aside from all those things, what have they gotten us!?! I mean, my union (UFCW) does nothing for me...except ensure job security, clean and safe workplaces and a sense of community.
Your union no longer guarrantees you a safe work environment the government does. They just are an avenue to complain about infractions. To say that an un-unionized workplace is unsafe is pretty bold (kind of putting words in your mouth but the opposite side of what you just said)

Quote:
During this recession, unionized workers are taking massive cuts in hours, wages and benefits and, yet, some companies have the audacity to dismiss or buy-out full time employees who have access to insurance and more benefits and replace them with part time employees who are paid less, have no fringe benefits and are less likely to organize.
I think the only unions that are making cuts are the ones that are faced with bankruptcy if they don't they get to join the line of unemployed. The beauty of a contract is its a contract, they wont negotiate less if they don't have to. Why do you think it took so long for the CAW to renegotiate their contracts. They weren't willing to give anything up until they knew that they would all be without a job unless they did.

Quote:
The issue at hand is workers being exploited by employers, not greedy unions.
And the employee gets to exploit the employer when its a boom. I remember the past few years driving through Calgary and the signs looking for workers. The $11 an hour at DQ sign that had been up for over 2 years. Finding a job in a couple of hours and the only way a company would be able ot hire a labour position is if they offered them a job on the spot, you couldnt call back a few days later because they had already found something.

Quote:
I'd gladly go without being in a drunken stupor every weekend for a month if it meant job security and workplace dignity for all workers.
?

Old 06-24-2009 at 08:03 AM   #22
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
And the employee gets to exploit the employer when its a boom. I remember the past few years driving through Calgary and the signs looking for workers. The $11 an hour at DQ sign that had been up for over 2 years. Finding a job in a couple of hours and the only way a company would be able ot hire a labour position is if they offered them a job on the spot, you couldnt call back a few days later because they had already found something.
According to a few of my Calgarian friends, the cost of living in Calgary is much higher than here in Ontario. Minimum wage isn't what's important -- It's living wage.

Either way, gross generalizations of unions or employers are unfair.

Not all employers are money hungry and so greedy that they're willing to exploit their workers for a profit.

At the same time, union workers aren't all lazy individuals who are constantly trying to get a raise.

Old 06-24-2009 at 09:00 AM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
All that I keep hearing about the unions on the radio is the garbage strike in Toronto, and how they want to be guaranteed 18 sick days per year, which can be banked for early retirement.

I don't get why they should be entitled to that when what they're doing is unskilled work, which a lot of them just also happen to to a really shitty job at (i.e. the garbage guy near my house tends to leave the cans in the middle of the street and throw in the bungie courds which are there to keep the raccoons out).

Is the LCBO strike (which I understand the deadline for has been extended) is for more substantial reasons...

Old 06-24-2009 at 09:12 AM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Lol, in my neighbourhood they replaced the man system with the truck that picks up the plastic bins and dumps the garbage/recycling into the truck mechanically.

Old 06-24-2009 at 04:47 PM   #25
Lois
Elite Member

Ownaginatios - I wasn't sure if your last statement was a question or not, but the strike is for more substantial reasons in my opinion. A lot of full-time job are being converted to casual or part-time jobs. Also, the management wants to be able to lay off workers for 90 day periods during slow periods only to re-hire them after this time. They're not asking for a salary raise (which many people seem to think) or banking sick time, it's about ensuring their job security.

Old 06-24-2009 at 05:52 PM   #26
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
They reached a tentative deal -- so the strike is averted for now.

Old 06-24-2009 at 07:32 PM   #27
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

I don't get why they should be entitled to that when what they're doing is unskilled work, which a lot of them just also happen to to a really shitty job at (i.e. the garbage guy near my house tends to leave the cans in the middle of the street and throw in the bungie courds which are there to keep the raccoons out).
Basing your opinions on the job's required skill level is ridiculous. How would you like to pick up other peoples trash day in and day out? Deal with the smell, and the disgust of it in general? Sure it might not require a lot of education or skill, but these minimal skill labour jobs are needed. They're the crux of how we live. Without them we'd suffer greatly.
Sure they might not be the smartest people, but damn if they can clean up garbage for a living they sure do have guts.

Old 06-24-2009 at 07:41 PM   #28
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Garbage strikes sure do smell!

Old 06-24-2009 at 07:50 PM   #29
Maegs
Elite Member

I like how people are already dumping garbage in parks a couple days after the strike started. They can't keep a couple extra bags of trash in their garage for a week?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search