MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new student form handed in late emilyyoung First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-13-2011 08:59 PM
Left 4 Dead 2 anyone? Kendoon Gaming 29 10-17-2010 02:24 AM
Left Calculator at Exam... scott000 General Discussion 1 04-23-2010 02:16 PM

Left-handed desks?

Old 09-04-2016 at 03:09 AM   #1
penandbrain

Liked: 0 Times

Left-handed desks?
Hi everyone!

Not only am I an upcoming first year, but I am also a proud lefty!

All of the schools I've attended had "general" desks (rectangular in shape), but I've just realized that university lecture halls have pull out desks to the right side of each chair.

This being said, are there any seats with pull out desks to the left side of the chair? Or am I slowly entering my journey to becoming ambidextrous?

Thanks, and any help is appreciated!
Old 09-04-2016 at 08:58 AM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Left most seat of an isle (not left seat against wall) has a left handed desk. If you get get anywhere else you'll have to use the seat next to yours (if no one is sitting there) or you'll have to kinda turn and write on the right handed desk
Old 09-04-2016 at 10:08 AM   #3
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Yup, usually the leftmost seat of each row section has a left-handed "desk", if you want to call it that. I call it a "tiny writing board". As above, you can also sit in any seat, and use the tiny writing board of the seat next to you. But that will be nearly impossible in first year over the first month of classes, because probably every class you're in will be full. That's basically just the older lecture halls though. New lecture halls, like those in MDCL, actually have a big long table running all the way down the row. Such luxury! Even better, the new buildings also have ventilation! Also, watch out with tiny writing boards: the hinges and hardware underneath them will shred the hell out of your pants unless you have tiny skinny legs. If you get stuck writing a test or exam in a room with tiny writing boards, make sure you take a strong dose of antipsychotic medication beforehand: they're frickin' impossible to write tests on. The only thing worse is doing a test on a table you're sharing with some guy who hasn't showered in a month and constantly uses his eraser.
Old 09-04-2016 at 11:01 AM   #4
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Unless you're the ideal person (for designed height, size, handedness) practically all the furniture at university is an ergonomic nightmare, from lecture hall seats, tiny writing boards, tables, chairs to exam desks used in the gyms (oh those bloody exam desks, nothing like a wobbly desk to bring the best out of you during an exam).
Old 09-04-2016 at 11:57 AM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
This being said, are there any seats with pull out desks to the left side of the chair? Or am I slowly entering my journey to becoming ambidextrous?
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It doesn't matter what hand you use, people use both desks for convenience. In fact, being right handed I use left desk a lot, as it doesn't go over my legs making it really awkward to move or stand up. Also many people don't use those desks because of that reason, it's more comfortable to just put a binder on your knees and write on top of it.
Old 09-05-2016 at 08:34 PM   #6
penandbrain

Thank you so much!
Old 09-05-2016 at 08:36 PM   #7
penandbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It doesn't matter what hand you use, people use both desks for convenience. In fact, being right handed I use left desk a lot, as it doesn't go over my legs making it really awkward to move or stand up. Also many people don't use those desks because of that reason, it's more comfortable to just put a binder on your knees and write on top of it.
Was trying to make a little joke, clearly it was a fail But thanks for the advice, I'll try using my binder and the desk individually and see what works for me!