MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Left Over Meal Plan Money Duncanrob First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 04-04-2012 09:03 PM
can you transfer money from your freedom account to the basic account for meal plan? 327005646 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 04-02-2012 04:35 PM
Meal plan account - money discrepancy 5.98e24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-03-2011 10:31 AM
Cutting Costs and Saving Money on Your Meal Plan! mitch Food & Meal Plans 16 10-18-2008 10:36 AM

Leftover Meal Plan Money

Old 03-12-2013 at 09:37 AM   #16
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Some people I know lent their friends their meal cards to buy food, then got cash back.
Old 03-12-2013 at 08:09 PM   #17
JKKMac

Liked: 0 Times

^thanks for the idea! I didn't think of that
Old 03-12-2013 at 08:16 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

In the past, people bought food in bulk from hospitality services, but I don't know how that went down, or how to do such a thing.
Old 03-12-2013 at 08:18 PM   #19
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
In the past, people bought food in bulk from hospitality services, but I don't know how that went down, or how to do such a thing.
You can usually do this at the end of the semester... or maybe by emailing them?
Old 03-12-2013 at 11:06 PM   #20
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

:/ I feel like this is a fundamental problem with the meal plan system and that students shouldn't have to be forced to do all this just to avoid losing that money.
1.4k is a LOT. There should be some sort of regulation to prevent the university from taking it like that. It seems like downright fraud to me. Someone needs to report this to the ombudsman or the ministry of university/colleges/training. Or at the very least, the MSU should be lobbying to allow students to keep more of their leftover meal plan money.

pandabearxox says thanks to anon491 for this post.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 03-12-2013 at 11:36 PM   #21
Snowman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
:/ I feel like this is a fundamental problem with the meal plan system and that students shouldn't have to be forced to do all this just to avoid losing that money.
1.4k is a LOT. There should be some sort of regulation to prevent the university from taking it like that. It seems like downright fraud to me. Someone needs to report this to the ombudsman or the ministry of university/colleges/training. Or at the very least, the MSU should be lobbying to allow students to keep more of their leftover meal plan money.
Or at least able to transfer it to the flex plan so it can be used in later years, since after first year then centro food seems pretty good every once in a while

starfish likes this.
Old 03-12-2013 at 11:50 PM   #22
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Make sure you check what portion is on the flex plan!
I had around 400 bucks in my last week of school last year and spent it all on chips and gum and Aloe Water... which though delicious is ridiculously over-priced especially in bulk, I didnt want to just have that money deleted so I spent it of course. I totally forgot about the flex portion which carries over year to year, so instead of having a bunch of really expensive gum, I could have used that money on food this year.

True story.
Old 03-13-2013 at 10:04 PM   #23
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Hey! Why not take me (or some of my gal friends) out to dinner! We're really inviting, friendly, and open-minded. We promise to be fun and you'll definitely have a good time with us.
Bistro, Centro, Bridges, you choose! We'll help blow some of that money for ya
Old 03-13-2013 at 10:50 PM   #24
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Some people I know lent their friends their meal cards to buy food, then got cash back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmacfatpack View Post
Hey! Why not take me (or some of my gal friends) out to dinner! We're really inviting, friendly, and open-minded. We promise to be fun and you'll definitely have a good time with us.
Bistro, Centro, Bridges, you choose! We'll help blow some of that money for ya
we all tried that line, didn't work thanks to Zebedee he just had to state his great idea -.-

Zebedee likes this.
Old 03-13-2013 at 10:52 PM   #25
Mungo

Liked: 19 Times

In this thread: hungry students.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 03-13-2013 at 11:04 PM   #26
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

check your balances on the meal card site.. the basic portion is a use it or lose it kind of thing.. whereas the flex/freedom can be refunded if requested (or held over til nxt school year)
Old 03-13-2013 at 11:10 PM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Imagine all the beautiful things that could happen if rez kids could somehow spend mealplan money at titles...

Old 03-13-2013 at 11:53 PM   #28
youdontknow

Liked: 7 Times

You could start a delivery service to potentially "redeem" your money. You start a delivery service on campus which serves to deliver Bistro/Centro/etc food to the people who need to stay in their residences. People call you for the order and you use your meal plan to pay for the meal. Then you charge the customer an extra $5 for delivery (on top of the charge for the meal), and they must pay in cash.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 03-14-2013 at 12:19 AM   #29
Snowman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontknow View Post
You could start a delivery service to potentially "redeem" your money. You start a delivery service on campus which serves to deliver Bistro/Centro/etc food to the people who need to stay in their residences. People call you for the order and you use your meal plan to pay for the meal. Then you charge the customer an extra $5 for delivery (on top of the charge for the meal), and they must pay in cash.
Actually that isn't a bad idea, especially if a bunch of people wanted to get pizza/burgers for a party, just get a bunch of them to pay you and get $
Old 03-14-2013 at 03:54 PM   #30
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

BEST IDEA: If you want, you can spend your extra meal plan money and buy non-perishable items in order to give to a food bank. FEED THE BUS! The bus seen at BSB this week is open to non-perishable donations where many people are using their meal plans dollars for. They are donating all this donated food to a food bank in Hamilton!

This is a great way to spend your meal plan AND feel good about it!!