MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
levels? meklia Academics 3 06-09-2010 04:03 PM
Program Levels meklia Academics 1 06-05-2010 01:02 PM
B.Sc Life Science Levels II-III Energy44 General Discussion 5 08-20-2009 08:22 PM

a-levels

Old 08-29-2010 at 11:31 PM   #1
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

a-levels
HEYYYY can someone explain how A-levels work?
Old 08-29-2010 at 11:37 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

british equivalence of grade 11-12 courses, you study at home and then you get examined by the british council, you use them as admission perquisite courses for uni programs. thats what i know about them... correct me if i am wrong but thats how they are in my country

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-29-2010 at 11:57 PM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noor_toglaw View Post
british equivalence of grade 11-12 courses, you study at home and then you get examined by the british council, you use them as admission perquisite courses for uni programs. thats what i know about them... correct me if i am wrong but thats how they are in my country
Mostly correct, Except Alevels means highschool takes 13 Years. Also you don't always have to study at home. In Pakistan for example most students upper middle class and above go to private schools that teach the Alevel Curriculum. Alevels students usually concentrate on 4-5 Subjects over a period of two years. Oh and the Exams are conducted/made/checked by either Cambridge University or Oxford University Examinations Board.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-30-2010 at 04:53 AM   #4
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Mostly correct, Except Alevels means highschool takes 13 Years. Also you don't always have to study at home. In Pakistan for example most students upper middle class and above go to private schools that teach the Alevel Curriculum. Alevels students usually concentrate on 4-5 Subjects over a period of two years. Oh and the Exams are conducted/made/checked by either Cambridge University or Oxford University Examinations Board.
Or Edexcel.
Also, you don't necessarily need to do 4-5 subjects over two years. The way it works, Eco/Business subjects have 4 modules you need to complete, and the Science ones have 6. You can either split these modules over two years, or do them all in a year (which is recommended, as you can remember course material that is carried over from previous modules).

I think Mac needs 2 A Levels for any Science program, Math and either one of Physics and Chemistry. They're all pretty easy, but if I'd have the choice to choose again, I'd go for Math (C1, C2, C3, C4) with Mechanics (M1 & M2) or Statistics (S1 & S2), and Physics from Edexcel.