Life Sci 2N03 seanemone Academics 2 01-05-2012 02:21 PM
Life Sci 2N03 - How was it? EasternHeat Academics 5 12-24-2011 02:31 PM
Life SCI 2N03 Jason036 Academics 2 06-14-2011 01:11 PM

Life Sci 2N03

Old 05-01-2012 at 05:08 PM   #31
YungJoc

Liked: 7 Times

Life Sci 2N03
I took this course during the winter of 2012. I really enjoyed it.

The professor for the course was Dr. Pincivero. I think that the class had mixed feelings about him. One one hand, he was a very engaging and interesting lecturer. On the other hand, he tends to go off topic...

all say thanks to YungJoc for this post.

likes this.
Old 12-24-2014 at 09:47 AM   #30
patriots4eva

Liked: 5 Times
Hey,

Could someone explain the assignment please? Would I have to buy the textbook with the diet analysis to complete it?
Old 12-24-2014 at 11:25 AM   #31
patriots4eva

Liked: 5 Times
Does anyone know how the assignment works? Do we need that 3 year data analysis?
Old 01-04-2015 at 07:03 AM   #32
lilrush

Liked: 6 Times
You don't need that diet analysis software or whatever for the assignment. You are given an XLS spreadsheet to fill out for what you eat over a 3 day period and have to record the precise macro and micronutrient content of of those food items. Then you write a couple pages about overall what's going on in your diet and what benefits/deficits your diet may have. No software needed

patriots4eva says thanks to lilrush for this post.
Old 02-05-2015 at 08:40 PM   #33
Staver

Liked: 0 Times
Updates on the course?
Would anyone who's taken the course recently please state whether they felt it was easy or not? The previous post about this not being a bird course is a bit unsettling and I'd like some more recent input.
Thanks!
Old 02-08-2015 at 07:17 PM   #34
macskittles

I took this course in fall 2014 and I disliked it. Personally I don't enjoy courses where you have to memorize random facts. The breakdown was 10% quizzes, 2 30% midterms and a 30% exam and an optional assignment. The quizzes were okay although sometimes the answers to the questions did not make any sense or did not follow what the notes said. I had it with Pincivero and I thought he was an okay prof. He would go off topic sometimes but other than that I thought he was interesting. The midterms and exams have very random questions on it. Things that you wouldn't even bother studying and that it the worst part about this course. You basically need to know all the random facts thrown out there. Also the exam had mistakes and he wasn't there to address it. There was a lack of communication, he would never respond to any emails. I didn't do the optional assignment so I can't really say anything about that. The first midterm went well for most people but the second midterm was sorta disastrous. The average for the short answer was 48% and he remarked the tests and it went to 57%. If you are the type of person who memorizes everything this may be the course for you. I personally don't enjoy memorization too much so I didn't really like the course.
Old 06-23-2015 at 08:55 PM   #35
SaugaCity

LOL why are the reviews on here so bad for this course?

I took this course in Fall 2013 and it was definitely one of my favorite courses in undergrad. I am quite sure the course has not changed since then either. Yes, there is a lot of memorization, but the content is so practical and relevant (most of the time) that I don't mind it at all. However, if you aren't the type of person who is good at memorizing facts, then you're better off taking another course (For the sake of your mark).

Dr. Pincivero is a great professor. Sure, he goes off topic sometimes but the man is so relaxed and really knows his stuff. Make sure you ask him questions!

As for the testing material... There were a couple of quizzes, which were pretty easy if you attended class and actively listened. Also, I did with a couple of friends so it was easier that way. As for the tests, they were MC and SA. The MC were super easy, like straight memorization... the SA consisted explaining things in one or two sentences and labelling diagrams. Some people found the SA hard. If you study properly, and memorize the shit out of everything you're good to go.

This course requires time. If you put in the time you will do great. I ended up with an 11 in the course. It was my best mark that semester. If you're good at memorizing (what do you expect, its a kin-type course!) and willing to put the time in you will succeed. You will also gain beneficial knowledge when it comes to healthy eating in general. If I had to choose again, I'd take this course over MANY other courses. You can't go wrong with it!
Old 06-24-2015 at 07:58 AM   #36
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times
I don't agree with this. Yes I also took the course in Fall 2013 when Dr. Pinci was laid back and a fair lecturer. Sure his teaching style is awesome and he's an awesome guy but things changed in Fall 2014. My roommate took the course on my recommendation and it turned to be a horrible course. The SA section was brutal (according to many) and it was a very stressful experience. Yes an 11-12 is attainable but if it causes more stress than organic chemistry, I don't think its worth taking as an elective. When I took it, a 11-12 was almost handed to everyone but last year things have changed so I wouldn't recommend people thinking that it'll be an easy elective as it once was. With that said, it is interesting and the information is quite useful!

SaugaCity says thanks to bobsingh for this post.
Old 07-05-2015 at 02:53 AM   #37
lilrush

Liked: 6 Times
Why are the reviews so bad you say?
1. Average on the midterm was so bad that any reasonable grade was almost impossible.
2. Pincivero dodged us hard, not responding to any emails and deflecting us when pressed in his office.
3. The final included questions as random as the weight of a cow.

I could carry this list to at least a hundred reasons, but the point is, this course is bad now.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search