Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Life Sci 3M03

I took this course just this past semester of 2014. The main reason for taking this course was to aid in fulfilling my degree requirement for Honours LifeSci.

This course was taught by Dr. Dej for the first half, and then Dr. Da Silva for the 2nd half. It focused on cellular dynamics of the cell... We covered various topics such as how cells move, what cells consist of, what is needed for a cell to become cancerous, etc.

It consisted of:

4 Tests (Only top 3 marks taken) - 2 from Dej, 2 from Da Silva - %25 each
Research Draft Proposal - 10%
Final Research Proposal - 15%

The tests consisted of 20 MC and 25 SA. The MC were fairly straightforward and the only thing that could really screw you up was the SA marks. For the SA marks you really had to know your stuff and know how to convey that in detail. It focused a lot on experimental design of how to identify if certain mechanisms in a cell are present. For example: What would you to see if a motor protein, such as Kinesin, is required for the cell to move? - Good thing was that this was outlined in the lectures so you really need to pay attention as it really helps for the tests.

I found this course to be my hardest course in the term. The content was dense but wasn't that tough to understand if you read it over a few times. However, I found the content to be super interesting which made it a bit easier in some sense. But still I had to study my butt off for the tests. I found Dej's tests harder than Da Silva's.

As for the research proposal, this was done in pairs or in groups of 3's. This part wasn't too hard, but it required A LOT of time just to put things together. What you had to do was choose a topic we learned in class and make hypothesis by using a protein or something else to convey it. You just really have to do some proper research and know what you're talking about and hopefully you can get the marks. The profs were really helpful when it came to starting this project.

Although this course was probably my hardest for the term, It definitely was NOT boring at all. I enjoyed it a lot! If you have previous tests, those would really help you as practice. I ended up with an 11 in the course, but this was with a pretty solid amount of effort. The course itself is definitely not a bird course, but if you enjoy Dej/DaSilva courses and learning more about cells and their mechanisms, then this course is for you!
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Life Sci 3M03!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search