Math 3z03 e-norman Academics 0 05-18-2010 11:22 AM
EngScty 3Z03 micadjems 4th Year Course Reviews 2 12-15-2009 02:45 PM

Life Sci 3Z03

Old 04-20-2011 at 01:10 AM   #1
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Life Sci 3Z03
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has taken Life Sci 3Z03? i would like a review and your thoughts on it please.

Thank you
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:27 AM   #2
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has taken Life Sci 3Z03? i would like a review and your thoughts on it please.

Thank you
i heard u take photos........
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:32 AM   #3
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
i heard u take photos........
did too lol. but i wanna know more about it. how are the tests and shizz
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:42 AM   #4
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
did too lol. but i wanna know more about it. how are the tests and shizz
i was actually wondering about this course as well, i was also wondering about all the other life sci courses in 3rd year but so far no reviews.... prolly b/c they are so new
Old 04-20-2011 at 08:11 AM   #5
JasonMcGuirk

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
i was actually wondering about this course as well, i was also wondering about all the other life sci courses in 3rd year but so far no reviews.... prolly b/c they are so new

Life Sci 3A03 - Disorganized, but good course (mainly cause Dej teaches most of it). It is divided into 5 modules, each module has a concept paper (~500 words) and a test (2 weeks worth of material). Dej taught the 1st 3 modules and Dr. Macdonald and Dr. Ullal taught the 4th and 5th respectively. The modules were 1. schistomiosis 2. endocrine disruptors 3. Polio 4. Nutrition deficiencies (in third world countries i.e. Vitamin A and golden rice) 5. epilepsy. There was also an in class essay in the form of a letter addressed to a government concerning a topic from one the modules. The course is subject to change and the in class tests may become online quizzes. I think in the future each module will be taught by a dif prof. There is no final exam.

Life Sci 3B03 - First half taught by Dr. Ullal, basically a combination of his material from Psych 2E03 and 2F03 [more basic than his neuroscience course more like his sensory processes course (2E03)]. Basically with his material you don't have to understand it, just memorize the slides and you are good to go.

Second half is taught by Dr. Jacobs...Jacobs Kills. He goes into neurobiological mechanisms of learning. So he covers action potentials and synapses and synaptic plasticity of dendritic spines as a mechanism for learning and memory. He also covers some stuff on the retinal circuit (Retinal on and off circuits). I'm studying this crap right now and I'm so tired of it lol
With Jacobs' you have to understand the material, you can't blatantly memorize things and expect to do well on his test. His slides don't allow you to do that either, because his important concept slides end up being diagrams and figures with very little text.

The evaluation was as follows - Midterm 1 all ullal (Short answer pick 5 out of 6). Midterm 2 mostly ullal and some Jacobs (short answer for each prof pick 4 out of 5 for ullal and 2 out of 3 for jacobs). Final exam is short answer, same format with an emphasis on Jacob's material.

Also, there is a group seminar presentation (10 min pres, 5 min discussion). With 5% of the final exam material coming from the group handouts.

No textbooks for either one. Although, 3B03 uses a lot of info from Neuroscience 4th edition from 2F03.

LBJ.MVP says thanks to JasonMcGuirk for this post.

FKkk likes this.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:28 PM   #6
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMcGuirk View Post
Life Sci 3A03 - Disorganized, but good course (mainly cause Dej teaches most of it). It is divided into 5 modules, each module has a concept paper (~500 words) and a test (2 weeks worth of material). Dej taught the 1st 3 modules and Dr. Macdonald and Dr. Ullal taught the 4th and 5th respectively. The modules were 1. schistomiosis 2. endocrine disruptors 3. Polio 4. Nutrition deficiencies (in third world countries i.e. Vitamin A and golden rice) 5. epilepsy. There was also an in class essay in the form of a letter addressed to a government concerning a topic from one the modules. The course is subject to change and the in class tests may become online quizzes. I think in the future each module will be taught by a dif prof. There is no final exam.

Life Sci 3B03 - First half taught by Dr. Ullal, basically a combination of his material from Psych 2E03 and 2F03 [more basic than his neuroscience course more like his sensory processes course (2E03)]. Basically with his material you don't have to understand it, just memorize the slides and you are good to go.

Second half is taught by Dr. Jacobs...Jacobs Kills. He goes into neurobiological mechanisms of learning. So he covers action potentials and synapses and synaptic plasticity of dendritic spines as a mechanism for learning and memory. He also covers some stuff on the retinal circuit (Retinal on and off circuits). I'm studying this crap right now and I'm so tired of it lol
With Jacobs' you have to understand the material, you can't blatantly memorize things and expect to do well on his test. His slides don't allow you to do that either, because his important concept slides end up being diagrams and figures with very little text.

The evaluation was as follows - Midterm 1 all ullal (Short answer pick 5 out of 6). Midterm 2 mostly ullal and some Jacobs (short answer for each prof pick 4 out of 5 for ullal and 2 out of 3 for jacobs). Final exam is short answer, same format with an emphasis on Jacob's material.

Also, there is a group seminar presentation (10 min pres, 5 min discussion). With 5% of the final exam material coming from the group handouts.

No textbooks for either one. Although, 3B03 uses a lot of info from Neuroscience 4th edition from 2F03.
What about 3Z03??
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:32 PM   #7
JasonMcGuirk

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
What about 3Z03??
Sorry buddy, that is a brand new course that has yet to be offered (the first time will be in September 2011). So if you take it, you'll be one of the test pilots for it. If Dr. Dej teaches it, I would take it, cause she's awesome.

It looks like its going to expand upon Life Sci 2A03. I don't mean its going to be the same thing, but it looks like its purpose is to allow the student to gain an understanding of and an appreciation for (life) science. Also, it looks like it may have a field work component to it, kind of like Bio 3R03, 4J03 and 4JJ3. Those courses are coordinated by Marvin Gunderman and Kathy McIntosh, so maybe they have something to do with Life Sci 3Z03, you could try contacting them.

Also, if you contact Sara Robinson, she might be able to give you some more details or maybe Dr. Dej. However, Dr. Dej is really busy with her other courses right now, so you might not get a response.

This is all speculative based on what I read about the course description. Looks like a cool course, too bad I won't be around to take it.
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:59 PM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/lif...nt-centre.html

there is a very detailed description here, if you've already not looked at it... it seems to be an art class too (with the photography component)... sounds like a perfect summer class in my opinion!
Old 04-20-2011 at 04:18 PM   #9
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

So what exactly are we required to do in this course?
Write papers? or What?
Old 04-20-2011 at 05:24 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

This course looks neat... but I'm too much of a chicken to be in the first class of it.