MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LIFE SCIENCE Timetable :D Biochem47 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 08-26-2010 09:16 AM
Timetable 10/11 Life Science Aadilb7 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-26-2010 03:33 PM

Life Science 1 Timetable HELP!! (Please help me T T ..LOL)

Old 08-08-2011 at 10:19 PM   #1
HanPark9205

Liked: 1 Time

Life Science 1 Timetable HELP!! (Please help me T T ..LOL)
Please give me some feedbacks xD
(e.g. prof is good or bad... or whether my labs are going to be on the same week.. or any other stuff..)
Thanks!

Profs list:
Math 1a03 C01 = Haskell, D
Math 1a03 T01 = Haskell, D

Math 1B03 C02 = Krepski, D
Math 1B03 T01 = Lozinski, D
-> Different.. profs.. will it be okay?

Biology 1A03 C02 = Kajiura, LJ & Zhu X
Biology 1A03 L22

Chemistry 1A03 C04 = Dumont, R.
Chemistry 1A03 L26

Psychology 1X03 C31 = i have no info...
-> if u see my tuesday timetable... its so full of classes.. should i move my pscyh to other days since its online (I think)...

Thanks!

P.S. + more feed backs about whether i should move my labs to other days.. etc

Timetable Link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...metablexk.png/

Last edited by HanPark9205 : 08-08-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: picture not showing up properly
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:25 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Your timetable doesn't seem too bad, although if you go home on Fridays, maybe you should change chem cores? I haven't had either Chem profs that are teaching this year, but apparently more people like the other one (Emslie?)

As for whether your labs will be on the same week or not, you can try calling the chem/bio profs and asking them, or you can wait until the first week of class, when they tell you and then change sections if you need to.

For psych, the "C" section is actually a tutorial, so that part is not online. What's online are the lectures and you watch those and make notes on your own time. Honestly, your Tuesday looks pretty good; 3 hours in a row of different classes is best IMO. You end the day early and you're not THAT tired.

What I would suggest is that if you're not a morning person, maybe change your chem lab time? I had 8:30 chem labs last year and I hated waking up that early. Up to you.

HanPark9205 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:39 PM   #3
HanPark9205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
Your timetable doesn't seem too bad, although if you go home on Fridays, maybe you should change chem cores? I haven't had either Chem profs that are teaching this year, but apparently more people like the other one (Emslie?)

As for whether your labs will be on the same week or not, you can try calling the chem/bio profs and asking them, or you can wait until the first week of class, when they tell you and then change sections if you need to.

For psych, the "C" section is actually a tutorial, so that part is not online. What's online are the lectures and you watch those and make notes on your own time. Honestly, your Tuesday looks pretty good; 3 hours in a row of different classes is best IMO. You end the day early and you're not THAT tired.

What I would suggest is that if you're not a morning person, maybe change your chem lab time? I had 8:30 chem labs last year and I hated waking up that early. Up to you.
Ahh i see thanks!
Well, I am not that a morning person.. but def i can concentrate better..
I will think about that xD

btw, should i move my labs to weekend?
and as u can see my bio lab is l22 and chem lab is l 26.. do u think they will be on the same week? if so.. im deadasmzoixoweskldx :(
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:42 PM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanPark9205 View Post
Ahh i see thanks!
Well, I am not that a morning person.. but def i can concentrate better..
I will think about that xD

btw, should i move my labs to weekend?
and as u can see my bio lab is l22 and chem lab is l 26.. do u think they will be on the same week? if so.. im deadasmzoixoweskldx :(
Pretty sure labs don't run on weekends...unless that was the solution the MSU came up with >.>

Lol I honestly can't tell you, you're going to have to ask the profs. Usually even number sections will go one week and odd number sections will go the other, but as to which week the labs start, I have no clue

HanPark9205 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.

Flashaka1 likes this.
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:51 PM   #5
s.ma
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

you might want to change 8:30 labs.
if you are not a morning person it would just be hard for you.

i have friends that hated 8:30 labs because it was just a pain.

putting the lab on friday afternoon might be a good idea. by that time everyone you know would have finished the lab and you can ask them for help looool

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-08-2011 at 11:01 PM.

HanPark9205 says thanks to s.ma for this post.
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:13 AM   #6
rammramm

Liked: 10 Times

If you change your chem core to something else that fits your schedule you can move your early morning chem lab to either Monday or Wednesday afternoon. You can then also go home earlier on Fridays if you wanted. I wouldn't recommend a Friday afternoon lab because, even though it's great that everyone else has completed the lab already and you can get tons of help, most first year midterms take place Friday evenings. I personally would find it stressful to be running from my lab to my midterm.

HanPark9205 says thanks to rammramm for this post.

s.ma likes this.
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:27 AM   #7
HanPark9205

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammramm View Post
If you change your chem core to something else that fits your schedule you can move your early morning chem lab to either Monday or Wednesday afternoon. You can then also go home earlier on Fridays if you wanted. I wouldn't recommend a Friday afternoon lab because, even though it's great that everyone else has completed the lab already and you can get tons of help, most first year midterms take place Friday evenings. I personally would find it stressful to be running from my lab to my midterm.
Ahh thanks!
I see..
hmm I guess I should not move it to friday then..?
but the problem is.. if i dont move it to friday..
there are no possibilities for me to take the labs in after 8:30 ones... unless I move my tuesday schedule.. since it is kind a overloaded... what do you think?
should I move the lab to tuesday afternoon and move at least psych or math?

* If I move psych.. i am not sure how psych courses work.. but seems like theres a lot of cores...
theres cores in wednesday morning .. which i think i will be okay taking them

* If I move my tuesday math 1b03 tutorial to thurs, i think it would be okay unless i have too much sutff to do on thurs..

I guess moving psych would be a better choice..

If I move psych to wednesday.. do u think i will be able to get into tuesday 14:30 lab?
should i find a students who wants to drop that place..? i am not sure how the course changing works..

btw, to know whether my chem and bio labs are running in the same week or not... should i email the prof?

Last edited by HanPark9205 : 08-09-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:34 AM   #8
rammramm

Yep, you can do that! Move the chem lab to Tuesday and move your math tutorial to another slot if you feel that your Tuesday is too busy. You can move your psych core in addition to that as well. I just wouldn't recommend Fridays... that's just me though.

You can try emailing the profs to figure out if the labs are running the same week. It doesn't hurt to try. Or you can always just wait until school starts and they tell you in class when the lab sections will be starting and try to change it then.

Old 08-09-2011 at 08:36 AM   #9
HanPark9205

Quote:
Yep, you can do that! Move the chem lab to Tuesday and move your math tutorial to another slot if you feel that your Tuesday is too busy. You can move your psych core in addition to that as well. I just wouldn't recommend Fridays... that's just me though.

You can try emailing the profs to figure out if the labs are running the same week. It doesn't hurt to try. Or you can always just wait until school starts and they tell you in class when the lab sections will be starting and try to change it then.
I see. Thanks a lot!

I have a one more question.. how does the course changing thing works?
Do i need to drop first inorder to get the spot i want?
if i dropped and i can't get the spot i want or get worse spot..?
am i screwed :(....?
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:44 AM   #10
rammramm

Np!

You're just changing a section (a core or a tutorial) so you're going to be 'modifying' the course. There's a modify option beside your courses and that's what you'll be working with. So if the core or tutorial you do want isn't available to you then you just don't get rid of what you have currently. I'm not sure if this makes a whole lot of sense, but it will once you're actually in SOLAR.
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:46 AM   #11
HanPark9205

Quote:
Np!

You're just changing a section (a core or a tutorial) so you're going to be 'modifying' the course. There's a modify option beside your courses and that's what you'll be working with. So if the core or tutorial you do want isn't available to you then you just don't get rid of what you have currently. I'm not sure if this makes a whole lot of sense, but it will once you're actually in SOLAR.
Ahh cool Thanks!
Yes I guess I understood..
So if theres spot i can change it but if there arent, i just need to wait till ppl drop the places right?
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:48 AM   #12
rammramm

Yep, exactly! It'll let you know if a tutorial or core is full or not (in the same way it did when you initially chose courses and it would tell you if a course was full).

Old 08-09-2011 at 10:08 AM   #13
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Math 1B03 C02 = Krepski, D
Math 1B03 T01 = Lozinski, D
-> Different.. profs.. will it be okay?
I had math 1b03 with Krepski last year at 8:30 too. Really funny guy, but I found he would take too much time teaching the easier stuff (matrix multiplication, linear independence, etc.) and then rush through the more abstract ideas (vector spaces, etc.). The problem with this course is the first half is really easy, so the first midterm is a joke and everyone stopped going (average was something like a 78) but then the ideas became more abstract and would take a longer time to digest. By the time the second midterm came around the average was in the 50s.

The tutorials are usually ran by someone different than your professor; typically a 4th year/graduate student so that's fine.

Oh, and he bellcurved a lot of the marks, so don't worry if you don't do so well on a midterm!

Last edited by Moghue : 08-09-2011 at 10:13 AM.

HanPark9205 says thanks to Moghue for this post.
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:17 AM   #14
HanPark9205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
I had math 1b03 with Krepski last year at 8:30 too. Really funny guy, but I found he would take too much time teaching the easier stuff (matrix multiplication, linear independence, etc.) and then rush through the more abstract ideas (vector spaces, etc.). The problem with this course is the first half is really easy, so the first midterm is a joke and everyone stopped going (average was something like a 78) but then the ideas became more abstract and would take a longer time to digest. By the time the second midterm came around the average was in the 50s.

The tutorials are usually ran by someone different than your professor; typically a 4th year/graduate student so that's fine.

Oh, and he bellcurved a lot of the marks, so don't worry if you don't do so well on a midterm!

haha I see
Thanks!
I am kind a scared now xD
Do you think i will do well in math 1b03 if i got around 90 in vectors part of calculus and vectors 12 in high school without studying much..? I also did both 11 and 12 physics..
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:27 AM   #15
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
haha I see
Thanks!
I am kind a scared now xD
Do you think i will do well in math 1b03 if i got around 90 in vectors part of calculus and vectors 12 in high school without studying much..? I also did both 11 and 12 physics..
Have you worked with matrices before? That is the first road block most people have to deal with in this course.

The vectors part of this course (a whole chapter) is a complete review from highschool I found (calculating the distance from a point to a plane, etc.). Even if you don't remember anything, he will spend a whole lecture just talking about what a vector is, how it's made up of components, how to add/multiply, dot and cross product etc. So that section of the course was pretty easy.

It builds up pretty quickly though when you start to deal with Euclidean-n space (vectors in R^n, not just R^2, R^3). Also, the abstract part of this course (vector spaces, subspaces, dimension) requires a good understanding of vectors, so don't skip those lectures!

HanPark9205 says thanks to Moghue for this post.