Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science math

Old 07-02-2008 at 11:49 AM   #1
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Life Science math
I'm going to be entering Life Sci I this fall and I plan on either going into life sci, honours life sci, or maybe biology. Most of the year two programs that I'm interested in require MATH 1A03 but all the seats are full. I've taken 1LS3 and 1AA3. Will I still be able to get into the year two programs with these or should i think about taking 1A03 in summer school or something? Also, will more seats open up later so i can take it?
Old 07-02-2008 at 12:50 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

More seats will most likely open up. If this course is required for your degree you have priority, meaning they have to open up a seat for you. If all else fails, talk to the Prof about opening a seat for you. You may also want to talk to the Life Sciences Department. Unfortunately I could not find contact information for you.. which is weird, but here is the contact for the Science Faculty. They should be able to transfer you accordingly.

Old 07-02-2008 at 03:56 PM   #3
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin90 View Post
I'm going to be entering Life Sci I this fall and I plan on either going into life sci, honours life sci, or maybe biology. Most of the year two programs that I'm interested in require MATH 1A03 but all the seats are full. I've taken 1LS3 and 1AA3. Will I still be able to get into the year two programs with these or should i think about taking 1A03 in summer school or something? Also, will more seats open up later so i can take it?
Technically, yes: you can get into second year programs by just taking 1LS3 instead of 1A03, but the catch is that you need to get a 10 or higher in the class. I think they're going to open up more seats for Math 1A03, but for now I suggest you stay registered in 1LS3 and just take 1A03 if more seats open up.
Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008 at 05:27 PM   #4
Harlequin

Thanks, that helped.

Old 07-03-2008 at 10:48 AM   #5
Sohaibb

Liked: 0 Times

Heyy,

A few first year life science students including myself have had that problem. I went to the life sciences counselling office and asked them about it and they said that I should be taking life science 1LS3, which is why it is open and the other one is full. Most people are under the misconception that 1A03 is 'better' or the more 'appropriate' course we should be taking as our math credit, however the lady at the life sciences office said that I should be taking 1LS3.
Old 07-03-2008 at 05:30 PM   #6
Jayuna

TO NOTE:

I called the student-helpline thing today and asked the question about the two math courses.

She basically told me that it doesnt completely matter which one you take. 1LS3 will get you basically into all life science-type second year programs. as well, it's true that if you get above 10, it can be substitued for 1A03. However, if you look in the undergraduate calender for the second year programs - (our year being the admission 2009-2010) they need 3 units of either 1A03, or 1LS3, so it actually doesn't matter what you take, since both work. YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET A 10 IN THE CLASS TO GET INTO SECOND YEAR PROGRAMS (examples: honours bio, honours biochem, hon. bo and psych, etc). YOU ONLY NEED THE CREDIT. thus, a lot less pressur to get a 10 in the class. And I was only suggested to take 1A03 if I wante to minor in math, since otherwise its not needed.

Hope that helps!! ^-^

Honours MoleBio and Genetics, McMaster class of 2012

Last edited by Jayuna : 07-03-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2008 at 06:28 PM   #7
Harlequin

So, just to verify,
I do not need 1AA3 to get into the second year programs?
Old 07-03-2008 at 06:42 PM   #8
Jayuna

Most of them, no. MATH 1LS3 will do just fine to the majority (Most courses ask for hits (taken out of the calender) "(Honours Biology) 3 units from Math 1A03 1LS3" and you find this everywhere)- I never saw one that needed only 1A03 unless you plan to go into Biology and Mathematics =S BUt make sure to check your undergraduate calender to make sure. To note - our year is admission 2009-2010 for the second year stuffs. =)

Honours MoleBio and Genetics, McMaster class of 2012

Last edited by Jayuna : 07-03-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2008 at 10:06 PM   #9
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayuna View Post
TO NOTE:

I called the student-helpline thing today and asked the question about the two math courses.

She basically told me that it doesnt completely matter which one you take. 1LS3 will get you basically into all life science-type second year programs. as well, it's true that if you get above 10, it can be substitued for 1A03. However, if you look in the undergraduate calender for the second year programs - (our year being the admission 2009-2010) they need 3 units of either 1A03, or 1LS3, so it actually doesn't matter what you take, since both work. YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET A 10 IN THE CLASS TO GET INTO SECOND YEAR PROGRAMS (examples: honours bio, honours biochem, hon. bo and psych, etc). YOU ONLY NEED THE CREDIT. thus, a lot less pressur to get a 10 in the class. And I was only suggested to take 1A03 if I wante to minor in math, since otherwise its not needed.

Hope that helps!! ^-^
Hey Jayuna, thanks for clearing that up!

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my previous post: you only need to get a 10 or higher in Math 1LS3 if you want to apply for a program that only accepts Math 1A03 (for example, honours chemistry - you'll notice they only say Math 1A03 and not either or). A program like honours biology takes either Math 1LS3 OR Math 1A03, so it doesn't matter what grade you get in 1LS3 (as long as you obtain the credit).
Sorry about the confusion.

Old 07-04-2008 at 07:32 PM   #10
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

My Question then becomes this and ive emailed this to the Associate Dean of Science,

For GRADUATE and MEDICAL Schools, Which Math is more approporiate? For Instance if some of us are preparing for MCAT's then it might be in our interest to take Math 1A03 over the 1LS3 because it'll prepare us more because as people have said, it has more math and to do well on your MCAT's you need substantial knowledge and applications in math. (No doubt You'll probably be required to take the Math 1AA3 later in second term or second year, or something like that).

If not for Med Schools, do Graduate Schools look at which Math You took? I mean i cannot be sure and i don't really know if these 2 different Calcs will make a difference four years from now but its always better to be safe than sorry and ask, because im sure a lot of people are geared towards one of those 2 things....