MacInsiders Logo

Limousine & Paparazzi

Old 11-18-2009 at 01:57 PM   #1
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Limousine & Paparazzi
Does anyone know why there is a limousine near the student centre and University Hall?

I also saw this guy who had to DSLR who doesn't look like a student walking and looking in a hurry in the student centre who looked like a photographer/paparazzi?

Is someone famous/important visiting our school today? Does anyone know something?
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:02 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
Does anyone know why there is a limousine near the student centre and University Hall?

I also saw this guy who had to DSLR who doesn't look like a student walking and looking in a hurry in the student centre who looked like a photographer/paparazzi?

Is someone famous/important visiting our school today? Does anyone know something?

A lot of weddings have photo shoots at McMaster due to the awesome scenery, that's the first thing that popped into my head..
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:19 PM   #3
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
A lot of weddings have photo shoots at McMaster due to the awesome scenery, that's the first thing that popped into my head..
Who gets married on a wednesday? o_O
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:21 PM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Who gets married on a wednesday? o_O
You'd be surprised!

It could also be a pre-wedding shoot... who knows XD

(Or someone famous I guess)
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:28 PM   #5
Anamaria
McMaster Employee

Liked: 1 Time

It is for someone rather important. See here:

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /worth....cfm?I D=5397

reeves says thanks to Anamaria for this post.
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:42 PM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Thank God! I was worried it was the jonas bothers or something.

jachill likes this.
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:57 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Paparazzi, for an not-well-known author? Really? I guess they've got to pay their bills somehow. :/
Old 11-18-2009 at 03:19 PM   #8
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Paparazzi, for an not-well-known author? Really? I guess they've got to pay their bills somehow. :/
Lol don't jump to conclusions that early

It's the same thing Anamaria mentioned but that article misses one key detail: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=6478

Alongside that Author/Historian the VIP is the Sultan/Ruler of Sharjah(A Emirate part of UAE; Like for example Dubai is another province of UAE; each province is ruled by a Sultan) who has loaned the map collection to the McMaster Art Museum. Peter George was there as well.

I was actually surprised there was such low key security; Sultan's when going to less safe countries actually commonly travel with a big entourage of heavily armed guards and Armoured SUV's/Sedans.

I did actually go to the event because the MSU requested the SRA attend because they had very low student attendance(It was mostly older people); It was informative, until it turned into a political debate!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-18-2009 at 03:32 PM   #9
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I was there too, and I saw the limo pull up, but didn't think it was someone that important because of the low presence of any kind of security - it was really surprising. There wasn't even anyone who looked body guard-ish with him.

It's too bad more people didn't attend, it was interesting - I didn't see it advertised in the student centre or anything though, I just got a facebook message about it randomly a few days ago.

I didn't really understand what that guy at the end was asking, it sounded to me like the sultan had answered his question - that there's different names for it depending on the politics going on at the time (like the British carrying two different maps lol)
Old 11-18-2009 at 03:38 PM   #10
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post

I didn't really understand what that guy at the end was asking, it sounded to me like the sultan had answered his question - that there's different names for it depending on the politics going on at the time (like the British carrying two different maps lol)

Well he was implying that since Arabs have all the money and are spearheading any changes to maps for the past two centuries they automatically have the power to define what that region gets called: Persian Gulf or Arabian Gulf. He reckons they are trying to influence it to be the latter; when he thinks it has always been the former and should be the former. I didn't completely get it as well; like he stayed on afterwards and was chatting with a couple of people and he still appeared to be adamant that there is something wrong going on :S

I mean there is an element of truth to the fact that the more powerful entities get to define how maps are made but this isn't exactly the correct forum for it. This was about a foreign dignitary who came all the way to to donate his precious map collection to McMaster; there was no need to make it a political debate.

Old 11-18-2009 at 04:08 PM   #11
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I mean there is an element of truth to the fact that the more powerful entities get to define how maps are made but this isn't exactly the correct forum for it. This was about a foreign dignitary who came all the way to to donate his precious map collection to McMaster; there was no need to make it a political debate.
Totally agree with you on this - it wasn't anything to do with politics until he made it so. and powerful entities defining how things are is called history! lol But as far as I can remember I've always seen it called the Persian Gulf on (modern) maps, I think that's the general consensus for the name nowadays - maybe there's more debate about it in the region, but I'm not aware of it, so it seemed like an odd question to me
Iamanonymous
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-18-2009 at 04:18 PM   #12
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Lol don't jump to conclusions that early

It's the same thing Anamaria mentioned but that article misses one key detail: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=6478

Alongside that Author/Historian the VIP is the Sultan/Ruler of Sharjah(A Emirate part of UAE; Like for example Dubai is another province of UAE; each province is ruled by a Sultan) who has loaned the map collection to the McMaster Art Museum. Peter George was there as well.

I was actually surprised there was such low key security; Sultan's when going to less safe countries actually commonly travel with a big entourage of heavily armed guards and Armoured SUV's/Sedans.

I did actually go to the event because the MSU requested the SRA attend because they had very low student attendance(It was mostly older people); It was informative, until it turned into a political debate!

I knew it was someone important.There had like 2 black sedan Mercedes benz near the limo. The sort of mercedes benz the secret service people use.
That's awesome. Too bad I didn't know about the event before hand. I guess the sedans were bulletproof or something. That's so awesome though. Someone important was in our school.
Old 11-18-2009 at 04:39 PM   #13
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I would have totally gone! I lived in Sharjah my whole life:(

Maegs says thanks to Katia for this post.

aani likes this.
Old 11-18-2009 at 04:45 PM   #14
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
I would have totally gone! I lived in Sharjah my whole life:(
lol the Sultan seemed like a cool guy; like he actually knew ALOT about the Maps and Histroy! I mean compared to the mega spending maniacs at Dubai and Abu Dhabi; A good example being Dubai's investment and subsequent overspending at the english soccer club Mancity. He seemed less flashy!

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 11-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Maegs likes this.