MacInsiders Logo

Linear Algebra 1B03 - are tutorials mandatory?

Old 12-29-2011 at 04:41 PM   #1
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Linear Algebra 1B03 - are tutorials mandatory?
I am planning to take this class and I'm starting to get some course conflicts, as if I didn't have enough already. So it turns out this tutorial is on a Thursday 12:30-13:30, which is on top of my physics lecture.

Are linear algebra's tutorials the same as other math tutorials? I know in Math 1LS3, I never went to any tutorial, and did perfect in the course. The tutorials were just students asking questions. Is it the same with linear algebra tutorial?
Old 12-29-2011 at 04:48 PM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Nope, it's the same as any first year Math course. Tutorials are not mandatory.

omgwtfitsp says thanks to justinsftw for this post.

omgwtfitsp likes this.
Old 12-29-2011 at 05:02 PM   #3
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Nope, it's the same as any first year Math course. Tutorials are not mandatory.
Hey thanks for the info. Glad to know, makes my course conflicts easier to deal with. Anyways I noticed you are in bio chem. Can you tell me how that is, what its like, what kind of things you learn? I was interested in taking that but I don't know much about the year 2 programs. What program were you in first year too?
Old 12-29-2011 at 05:36 PM   #4
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

What was the course like? I'm taking it next semester too...
Old 12-29-2011 at 05:47 PM   #5
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

they are not mandatory but strongly recommend. 1b03 is the harder than 1a03 and 1aa3 IMO. You start doing 'proofs' towards the end of the course which can be difficult.
Old 12-29-2011 at 05:54 PM   #6
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Having just taken the course and having only attended the first tutorial, I can tell you they are NOT necessary. However, it depends on two things:

1. How well you grasp maths
2. How much practice you put in.

If you understand the concepts quickly and do all the practice problems, you should be set.

@Galleria: It depends on what you mean by 'like'. Was it hard? It was okay. I found that doing the practice problems and understanding the concepts were the main key to doing well.

Was it boring? Not really. I liked it, and though vectors scare me, I can say that I enjoyed it.

The best thing about this course is that if you follow the method, you get results. You don't have to extrapolate too much. Also, DO THE PRACTICE EXAMS AND PROBLEMS. Especially the exams. You should be good!
Old 12-29-2011 at 06:18 PM   #7
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

I didn't like the TA for first term this year that much :/ so I ended up not going after 2/3 weeks. Hope you get a better TA for second term. And they post up the tutorial notes on avenue anyways.