MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linguistics 1AA3 feonateresa 1st Year Course Reviews 17 06-09-2015 08:15 AM
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM

Linguistics 1AA3 Assignment #2

Old 07-16-2010 at 06:11 PM   #1
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time

Linguistics 1AA3 Assignment #2
Hey, since there's no formal discussion on ELM for this course specifically for the assignment, I was hoping that some of the MI users are in this course. Hopefully we can help each other out.

For section a) Question 5 - I think it's a hyponym but I'm not sure what the hypernym is. Also for 15, is it hyponym and the hypernym is computer terms?
Old 07-16-2010 at 07:23 PM   #2
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

I`m not in the course, but I took 1AA3 in winter 2010 and I`m pursuing a minor in linguistics, so I`m sure I could help you if you post the question. I also find it weird that you guys are starting off with semantics. When I took it, we did syntax for about 2.5 months, then semantics for about 3 weeks, and language acqusition for about a week-and-a-half.
Old 07-16-2010 at 07:53 PM   #3
luv.ng.u

We've already completed Syntax and now we're onto Semantics. That's why the second assignment is on Semantics.

a) Mark the following set of words as synonyms (SYN), hyponyms (HYP), conversives (CON), meronyms or parts of wholes (P/W or MER), anytonyms (ANT), homonym (HOM) or none of the above (N/A) and in the case of the hyponyms the relevant hypernym.

For 5: rat, beaver, mouse, squirrel, lemming, otter
15: megabyte, font, format, programme, hypertext

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2010 at 03:07 AM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv.ng.u View Post
We've already completed Syntax and now we're onto Semantics. That's why the second assignment is on Semantics.

a) Mark the following set of words as synonyms (SYN), hyponyms (HYP), conversives (CON), meronyms or parts of wholes (P/W or MER), anytonyms (ANT), homonym (HOM) or none of the above (N/A) and in the case of the hyponyms the relevant hypernym.

For 5: rat, beaver, mouse, squirrel, lemming, otter
15: megabyte, font, format, programme, hypertext

Thanks!
Hypernyms are the "category", for lack of a better term. ie, "dog" is the hypernym of lab, collie, chihuahua. The breeds are the hyponyms of dog.

I'm in your class, I guess, since you have the same assignment I do. Guess I should start that.
Old 07-17-2010 at 06:13 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

15 might be meronyms/parts of wholes and 5 would be hyponyms most likely.

Hypernym is like the umbrella term, and hyponyms fall under it. For example, furniture is the umbrella hypernym term and 'chair' 'desk' 'table' are example hyponyms.
Old 07-17-2010 at 06:34 PM   #6
luv.ng.u

Thanks everyone. I understood what the differences between hyponym and hypernym. It was just that I wasn't sure what the hypernym is specifically for the question. What would be the hypernym for rat, beaver, mouse, squirrel, lemming, and otter. Little furry critters? Lol.
Old 07-17-2010 at 06:47 PM   #7
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I understood what the differences between hyponym and hypernym. It was just that I wasn't sure what the hypernym is specifically for the question. What would be the hypernym for rat, beaver, mouse, squirrel, lemming, and otter. Little furry critters? Lol.
idk my animal families. Too sciencey for me. Are they all rodents?
Old 07-17-2010 at 07:34 PM   #8
luv.ng.u

I wiki'ed it, I don't think otters are rodents. But the others are...

Also, what would you suggest for Question 15. Types of computer terms? I'm practically computer illiterate.
Old 07-17-2010 at 07:51 PM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
I wiki'ed it, I don't think otters are rodents. But the others are...

Also, what would you suggest for Question 15. Types of computer terms? I'm practically computer illiterate.
I'm gonna put computer terms. There's nothing else I can think of to call them.
Old 07-17-2010 at 09:32 PM   #10
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

I didn't even learn what conversives or meronyms were in 1AA3. This makes me feel somewhat uneasy about taking Semantics this year. D:
Old 07-17-2010 at 10:18 PM   #11
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
I didn't even learn what conversives or meronyms were in 1AA3. This makes me feel somewhat uneasy about taking Semantics this year. D:
If you have 3 minutes of free time, and an internet connection, you have no need to worry.