MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have you ever tried listening to your study notes as an mp3? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 12-05-2011 04:24 PM
What are you listening to? tatski-p Music 92 09-15-2010 10:06 PM
What are you listening to? Jake Music 378 02-28-2010 03:54 PM

Listening to music while studying

Old 06-21-2012 at 07:45 AM   #1
Arisu4

Liked: 7 Times

Listening to music while studying
Well, I am not studying at the moment, but come September I will (hopefully!)

I am guessing others do it too, but when I study I like to listen to light music, for me it makes studying more interesting and its easier to concentrate.

I love this station (online radio), I hope linking it doesn't break any forums rules:
http://www.sky.fm/play/dreamscapes

- I don't know how to describe it, its just mostly non-vocal light trance/electronic music.

What music do you listen to while studying? if any at all?
Old 06-21-2012 at 08:00 AM   #2
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I listen to the same music whether I'm studying or not. It's all within the spectrum of metal, or at least a harder variety of rock.
Old 06-21-2012 at 10:51 AM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

If it's busywork I'll listen to whatever is on my playlist at the time (pop, soft rock, whatever is on mainstream radio, etc).

But if I'm actually studying it will be instrumental music (i.e., those without vocals). This may include classical or soundtracks to games, movies, TV, etc.

Pretty enjoyable stuff ^_^
Old 06-21-2012 at 10:58 AM   #4
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

It depends on what I'm studying. If I'm writing a paper for political science, I tend to listen to instrumental jazz, classical music or something a little more subdued. Nothing with lyrics because I tend to write what I listen to (it happens to everyone). If it's memorizing for another class, I'll listen to stuff like deadmau5 that's a little more upbeat so I won't fall asleep. If you want good music stations, iTunes divides it up by genre so you don't have to look for hours to find a good station.
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:01 AM   #5
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

I typically don't listen to music when Im studying but if I'm just researching for a paper or writing a prelab or something that I don't need to remember later on, I prefer soundtracks (best=LOTR and requiem for a dream)
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:05 AM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

It really depends on the mood im in, sometimes I need silence, but often I can do with music. When im doing as Alchemist said "Busy work" im usually good with anything I like, but if im actually studying its all instrumental usually based around rock/electronic stuff. Ratatat is really good if you wanted a recommendation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64liF2VuLxI

Arisu4 likes this.
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:11 AM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I've recently discovered that music is distracting. I used to listen to music while I worked/studied for years, but now I don't.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:17 AM   #8
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

In that case, OP, you'd love this: Elements 01.

It's a huge collab/compilation from various indie artists of ambient, organic sounding, electronic music, free to download in pretty much any format you want. My two favourites at the moment (but that's because I haven't listened to them all as yet) are To Space and Back (it starts off slow, but gets much, much better), and Breath.

Also, you'd love the Mirror's Edge soundtrack. Solar Fields created some of the best, atmospheric music for an amazing, really atmospheric game. It mixes upbeat electronic music with some incredibly good ambient sounds. Check out Kate and The Shard, and I really, really, really recommend playing the game. It's more than just a game, and a "work of art" isn't enough either, but it's one of the best experiences I've had (despite the lack of a gripping plot).

I'm combing my library for any more great tracks I have. I'll let you know.

Last edited by Yogurt : 06-21-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Alchemist11, Arisu4, jim1 like this.
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:31 AM   #9
Arisu4

ratatat & elements are awesome!!!

I have been looking to download similar music to that channel (so the elements 01 will be perfect)

@misspolitics, if I am typing, anything I hear just doesn't get to my brain (this involves people talking or music), although listening to music with lyrics would be distracting
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:37 AM   #10
omgmt

Liked: 21 Times

I tend to listen to http://8tracks.com/thegirlnamedjedrz...study-playlist while studying
Has a lot of movie soundtracks, helps me stay focused and awake
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:54 AM   #11
Yogurt

Okay, so I don't know how much you'd like post-rock (mind you, I hate categorizing music into genres), but it's somewhat similar to your tastes.

There's Twelve Days Awake by The American Dollar (I haven't listened to any of their other music), and some Sigur Rós that might appeal to you (Starálfur, Glósóli, Sćglópur, Gobbledigook, and Viđ Spilum Endalaust" (We Play Endlessly)).

Mind you, it can get louder than usual ambient music, and there are some lyrics (Icelandic)/instrumental vocals (Hopelandic) present. But it's great music.
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:58 AM   #12
winter02

I listen to music regardless if I am studying or not xP Usually, for me, instrumentals work the best. I get all my music from youtube. Here's one of the channels I listen to http://www.youtube.com/user/XxImmortalmagexX
Old 06-21-2012 at 01:57 PM   #13
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

I only listen to music when I'm studying for Econ or solving differential equations. I prefer classical, vocal trance and alternative rock.
Old 06-21-2012 at 01:59 PM   #14
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
In that case, OP, you'd love this: Elements 01.

It's a huge collab/compilation from various indie artists of ambient, organic sounding, electronic music, free to download in pretty much any format you want. My two favourites at the moment (but that's because I haven't listened to them all as yet) are To Space and Back (it starts off slow, but gets much, much better), and Breath.

Also, you'd love the Mirror's Edge soundtrack. Solar Fields created some of the best, atmospheric music for an amazing, really atmospheric game. It mixes upbeat electronic music with some incredibly good ambient sounds. Check out Kate and The Shard, and I really, really, really recommend playing the game. It's more than just a game, and a "work of art" isn't enough either, but it's one of the best experiences I've had (despite the lack of a gripping plot).

I'm combing my library for any more great tracks I have. I'll let you know.
Look into Clint Mansell's soundtrack for Moon. It's minimalistic (but in a good way) so I think it's pretty good study music and you may like it if you like the Mirror's edge soundtrack.
Old 06-21-2012 at 02:21 PM   #15
Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Look into Clint Mansell's soundtrack for Moon. It's minimalistic (but in a good way) so I think it's pretty good study music and you may like it if you like the Mirror's edge soundtrack.
Yup, I love the soundtrack (and the movie). Another of his great pieces, Leaving Earth (funny, I haven't played any of the Mass Effect games...yet, but I have all of, and love, the soundtracks).