MacInsiders Logo

A Little help please

Old 10-27-2010 at 12:28 PM   #1
Nueloas

Liked: 0 Times

A Little help please
hello. I'm a grade 12 student. I am going to apply to McMaster Life Science and Health Science undergrad.
On the website, it is mentioned that you need an 86 TOEFL score, would a score lower than 86 affect my acceptance ?
If my total average is above the cut off average, will a TOEFL score less than 86 affect my chances of getting accepted. Thanks alot
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:36 PM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueloas View Post
hello. I'm a grade 12 student. I am going to apply to McMaster Life Science and Health Science undergrad.
On the website, it is mentioned that you need an 86 TOEFL score, would a score lower than 86 affect my acceptance ?
If my total average is above the cut off average, will a TOEFL score less than 86 affect my chances of getting accepted. Thanks alot
TOEFL is "test of english as a foreign language" and only applies to you if you do not speak english fluently(mainly international students and recent immigrants). For canadians who speak english fluently you only need to pass the grade 10 literacy test. Based on your post I don't think this is a problem for you. But yes, if you are required to take the test and you don't meet the score I imagine it will be a negative factor in whether or not you are accepted into your programs.

Last edited by Replekia : 10-27-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Desda likes this.
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:39 PM   #3
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Back in grade ten, I had a dream that I got perfect on the literacy test...
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:43 PM   #4
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Back in grade ten, I also had a dream that I got perfect on the literacy test. Oh wait, never mind, it actually happened. I honestly don't see how people fail it. Most of the test was just answering questions on short stories. The short story was right there so you could go back and reread sections to find the answers. It's more or less an open book test..

lizziepizzie, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:45 PM   #5
anthony

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
Back in grade ten, I also had a dream that I got perfect on the literacy test. Oh wait, never mind, it actually happened. I honestly don't see how people fail it. Most of the test was just answering questions on short stories. The short story was right there so you could go back and reread sections to find the answers. It's more or less an open book test..
But how can you pass an open book test if you can't read?
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:46 PM   #6
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
TOEFL is "test of english as a foreign language" and only applies to you if you do not speak english fluently(mainly international students and recent immigrants). For canadians who speak english fluently you only need to pass the grade 10 literacy test. Based on your post I don't think this is a problem for you. But yes, if you are required to take the test and you don't meet the score I imagine it will be a negative factor in whether or not you are accepted into your programs.
You also have to take the TOEFL if you haven't lived in an English speaking country for 2 years, or maybe 3, something along those lines, the gr 10 literacy test doesn't apply for Mac's language proficiency requirements, you just need it to graduate from high school

REPLEKIA/. says thanks to waldo92 for this post.
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:46 PM   #7
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post
But how can you pass an open book test if you can't read?
How can you make it to grade 10 without being able to read?
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
You also have to take the TOEFL if you haven't lived in an English speaking country for 2 years, or maybe 3, something along those lines, the gr 10 literacy test doesn't apply for Mac's language proficiency requirements, you just need it to graduate from high school
you need to pass the test to graduate though; ergo it is a requirement.
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:50 PM   #8
waldo92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueloas View Post
I know U of T has a discretionary range (i.e. if your toefl marks are 3-5 points under the requirement, they're willing to let that go if you meet the other requirements). I'm not too sure if Mac has something similar, ask your guidance counselor at high school.
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:51 PM   #9
waldo92

Quote:
you need to pass the test to graduate though; ergo it is a requirement.
yeah, but it doesn't replace the TOEFL requirement, which is what the OP's talking about
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:54 PM   #10
waldo92

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /future/engli.html

says nothing about a discretionary range, it'd be best to ask one of the people on this page
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /futur...n-contact.html
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:58 PM   #11
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
I agree, I also received 100%. I guess maybe some kids don't speak "proper English." I think it depends on your grammar. Also spelling, of course. Best part of grade ten literacy test: we got a free breakfast (if you came early enough) and milk and cookies during the break! Milk and cookies! Like kindergarten!
Old 10-27-2010 at 03:14 PM   #12
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

We were never told what % we got. o.o; Just "pass" or "fail." Also, we got crappy juice boxes... ]:

I WANT SOME COOKEHS
Old 10-27-2010 at 03:20 PM   #13
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
We were never told what % we got. o.o; Just "pass" or "fail." Also, we got crappy juice boxes... ]:

I WANT SOME COOKEHS
Me neither. I wish I got my mark back; I remember I messed up a really stupid part of the test (I think I wrote too many words in my newspaper article or something) so for a while I thought I'd fail. :(
Old 10-27-2010 at 03:29 PM   #14
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
91% on TOEFL Paper-based
Old 10-27-2010 at 06:10 PM   #15
Kerbs

Liked: 17 Times

The Literacy test was epic! At our school, a few people rounded up and pledged to write about chuck norris wherever possible on it. Something I will never forget!