MacInsiders Logo

A Little help please

Old 10-27-2010 at 06:39 PM   #16
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbs View Post
The Literacy test was epic! At our school, a few people rounded up and pledged to write about chuck norris wherever possible on it. Something I will never forget!
Writing about Chuck Norris is silly because Chuck Norris doesn't read, he just stares the books down until they give him the information he wants.
Old 10-27-2010 at 06:46 PM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

wtf you guys actually got your mark back on that grade 10 literacy test? I thought they only told you if you passed (>75%)...
Old 10-27-2010 at 06:47 PM   #18
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Me neither. I wish I got my mark back; I remember I messed up a really stupid part of the test (I think I wrote too many words in my newspaper article or something) so for a while I thought I'd fail. :(
I never got my mark back either... wasn't the test just pass/fail, or did it change since I took it?

I remember I wrote too much for about 50% of the questions, used whiteout because I didn't know we weren't supposed to and I accidentally skipped 2 pages because they were stuck together in the booklet and I didn't notice until I was about to hand it in. I still passed... so I'm really not sure how on earth people manage to fail that test. How DO people make it to grade 10 without passing the test?
Old 10-27-2010 at 07:11 PM   #19
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueloas View Post
hello. I'm a grade 12 student. I am going to apply to McMaster Life Science and Health Science undergrad.
On the website, it is mentioned that you need an 86 TOEFL score, would a score lower than 86 affect my acceptance ?
If my total average is above the cut off average, will a TOEFL score less than 86 affect my chances of getting accepted. Thanks alot
I took the MELAB which also equivalent to TOEFEL. For engineering if you had 80 on TOEFEL or 85 on MELAB (this is for engineering, the requirement may change depending on which program you are applying for) you wouldn't have had trouble into getting accepted into McMaster as long as you meet the cut off average (which varies depending the average grades other people applying to the same program get).

The best thing to do is go to the website of the program you are interested in and they should have a link which tells you everythign you need to know about the english language requirements. if you are still not sure go to the guidance at your high school and they should help you contact the registrar office at McMaster to check whether you meet the requirements or no.

P.S. To all those talking about the grade 10 BS test, you only need that to graduate from high school and nothing else. So I dont know why or how you started taling about it. That is how in these threads we start discussing one thing and we totally drift onto a completely different topic. MOST OF THE TIMES TOTALLY UNRELATED.
Old 10-27-2010 at 07:31 PM   #20
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
We were never told what % we got. o.o; Just "pass" or "fail." Also, we got crappy juice boxes... ]:

I WANT SOME COOKEHS
LOL, same here.
We were only told "pass" or "fail".
LOL @ the people who failed. I remembering lol'ing at them.

Old 10-27-2010 at 08:08 PM   #21
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
LOL, same here.
We were only told "pass" or "fail".
LOL @ the people who failed. I remembering lol'ing at them.
Agreed. I laughed hard at the people who lived in canada there whole life and failed it.

BUTTT we did get super soft choco coookies and coke o.O
Old 10-27-2010 at 08:35 PM   #22
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

In my grade 12 year our school had senior volunteer "scribes" , aka they got senior students to pair up with the grade 10 students who had difficulty writing out their answers neatly or comprehending the questions :| I was a volunteer and trust me, I have never been so disappointed in the public education system and today's youth generation than I was on that day.

These kids can't write 3 paragraphs on why teenagers should/shouldn't have cell phones.
ridiculous. it's not even like it was just my partner, there were a LOT of kids who needed scribes.

the food was good though. cookies, chocolate dipped fruit, juice, muffins and milk :3
...they get spoiled so much these days.

edit: did I mention that they took away our math and english teachers a million times during the year to attend some lame literacy workshops so that they could learn how to teach the dumb gr. 9s/10s to do better on their EQAO/OSSLT? D< and because of that, I felt that our marks in our senior courses suffered.

Last edited by anon491 : 10-27-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2010 at 08:38 PM   #23
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

:/ So unfair...everyone's school seemed to have provided decent food except mine...I hate concentrated juice.
Old 10-27-2010 at 08:47 PM   #24
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Quote:
:/ So unfair...everyone's school seemed to have provided decent food except mine...I hate concentrated juice.
Ownd. But then again...that food was a distraction
Old 10-27-2010 at 08:49 PM   #25
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Ownd. But then again...that food was a distraction
You has 975 posts. I now has 475. o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o
Old 10-27-2010 at 08:57 PM   #26
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Quote:
You has 975 posts. I now has 475. o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o
Wow, at the time you wrote that it was true. Not any more.
Old 10-27-2010 at 10:05 PM   #27
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueloas View Post
hello. I'm a grade 12 student. I am going to apply to McMaster Life Science and Health Science undergrad.
On the website, it is mentioned that you need an 86 TOEFL score, would a score lower than 86 affect my acceptance ?
If my total average is above the cut off average, will a TOEFL score less than 86 affect my chances of getting accepted. Thanks alot
In some cases, if your grades are good enough and you seem to have a good grasp of English, they might even drop the TOEFL requirement, even if you technically need it.

I moved to Canada when I was in grade 11, so when I applied to university I hadn't been to school here for 3+ years, which meant I had to write the TOEFL test. I ended up writing it but for some reason my final score never actually reached Mac, and I was freaking out thinking that my offer would be rescinded.... but I called the school, and explained that English is my first (and pretty much only) language, and they dropped the requirement.

There are usually ways around these things, so don't worry!
Old 10-27-2010 at 10:21 PM   #28
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

I dont even think our school gave us food. :(
Kerbs, wanna back me up on that?
Old 10-27-2010 at 10:27 PM   #29
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

My school deff did not give food, or anything. And we just got pass/fail instead of marks. I feel gyped

Old 10-27-2010 at 10:28 PM   #30
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
My school deff did not give food, or anything. And we just got pass/fail instead of marks. I feel gyped
yeah count yourselves lucky if you got food, i wish I got food