MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Live in Mills for a week to raise money to build libraries in India! sosmcmaster MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-14-2011 07:19 AM
Want to be a tutor and raise money for charity? :) sosmcmaster Volunteering Opportunities 0 01-09-2011 01:29 PM
Wanna Live In Mills For A Week To Fund Raise For Libraries In India? sohanin Volunteering Opportunities 4 12-02-2010 12:44 PM
RAISE YOUR MARKS & HELP TO RAISE ROOFS! Exam revies- chem, math, physics, commerce dd1991 Academics 2 12-02-2010 12:39 PM
Anyone from India ?? Sidd Introduce Yourself 7 08-11-2010 09:37 PM

Live in Mills for a week and raise money for libraries in India:)

Old 01-12-2011 at 12:00 AM   #1
sosmcmaster

Liked: 2 Times

Live in Mills for a week and raise money for libraries in India:)
Wanna Live In Mills For A Week To Raise Money to Build Libraries In India?

DO YOU LOVE MILLS SO MUCH YOU FEEL LIKE YOU PRACTICALLY LIVE THERE??
WANNA HELP RAISE MONEY TO BUILD LIBRARIES IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES?

HOW ABOUT APPLY TO BE A CAMPER FOR LIVE-IN FOR LITERACY?

The live-in is a week long event hosted annually at Mills library. Two students spend one week living in Mills library to raise money for building libraries in third world countries. The live-in will happen from Jan 27th to February 3rd 2011.

Sooo… What is the Live-In?

The purpose of the Live-In is to raise awareness of literacy issues and to raise money for libraries being built in developing nations. This year, the focus is on libraries in India. We give all of the money we raise to an organization called Room to Read, and they are the ones that build the actual libraries. In terms of how we help, the live-in is the main event carried out by the McMaster chapter of Live-in for Literacy.

What am I going to be doing?
Two students will live in a roped-off area of the Mills lobby from January 27th (noon) until Feburary 3rd . Day and night, the campers will remain in their living quarters with their belongings for the week, which will consist of a tent, a mini fridge, desks, and other things, and promote the fundraiser by speaking out to people passing by. For every hour spent in the library, each camper will be given five minutes, which can be combined so that the camper can shower, attend class, etc. Also, the entire live-in will be broadcasted live via webcam!

SOUNDS AWESOME?? FILL OUT THE ATTACHED APPLICATION AND EMAIL IT TO [email protected] by Jan 14th 2011 at 11:59 pm !!
Attached Files
File Type: doc LIL 2010-2011 camper application (2).doc (72.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-12-2011 at 12:01 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

That sounds dumb, you would miss so much school and be so bored.

Afzal, macsci, xxsumz like this.
Old 01-12-2011 at 12:04 AM   #3
sosmcmaster

Its actually pretty fun and you get to engage with people coming to the camp site all day!
Its an event that is held across universities in Ontario for the past couple years and has managed to raise quiet a bit of money and build 6 libraries!
There's also activities being ran all day to keep you going and a lot of profs are quiet understanding
you get breaks so you can attend classes and dont have to miss out on school work!
Old 01-12-2011 at 12:05 AM   #4
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
That sounds dumb, you would miss so much school and be so bored.
But you will be a SUPERSTAR!

sosmcmaster likes this.
Old 01-12-2011 at 01:37 AM   #5
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

My friend practically lived in mills common area during first year...that place was always dirty and full of grease....
Old 01-12-2011 at 06:36 AM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosmcmaster View Post
Its actually pretty fun and you get to engage with people coming to the camp site all day!
Its an event that is held across universities in Ontario for the past couple years and has managed to raise quiet a bit of money and build 6 libraries!
There's also activities being ran all day to keep you going and a lot of profs are quiet understanding
you get breaks so you can attend classes and dont have to miss out on school work!
You get 5 minutes every hour to combine to attend classes... which means you can attend an average of 2 classes a day, if you stay in there for 24 hours. I'm still not getting how this is even remotely possible for people who want to do well in school?

I like the idea of helping people, but what does this even have to do with literacy? :S
Old 01-12-2011 at 11:43 AM   #7
sosmcmaster

Well the money raised is going towards building libraries and other educational facilities in third world countries. Many of these teach and promote the local children to read and write.. so thats why you're living in mills to support literacy
Old 01-12-2011 at 11:46 AM   #8
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

My whole issue isn't even missing class... I WANT MY SHOWERS!!!!!!!

JEFF_CHAN likes this.
Old 01-12-2011 at 01:28 PM   #9
sosmcmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
My whole issue isn't even missing class... I WANT MY SHOWERS!!!!!!!
Well it is a CHALLENGE for a reason ...not intended for everyone
its like biking across the country for a good cause ..its a challenge and not everyone wants to /can do it.
But a great way to get involved is just stopping by mills during the live-in and supporting the campers and donating some money to the cause!