MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-30-2011 at 03:22 AM   #1
none92

Liked: 1 Time

Livescribe Pen
Do you think a livescribe pen will actually help me take notes in lectures? Any Pros and Cons?
Old 08-30-2011 at 05:48 AM   #2
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Is it like Rita Skeeter's Quick-Quotes Quill or something? I actually haven't heard of it before and it sounds quite interesting...

-Ish-, DMe3, MacPack like this.
Old 08-30-2011 at 08:32 AM   #3
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Demo in MacMicro at the Bookstore
If you want to try the Live Scribe there is demo pen in the Bookstore at MacMicro that you can play with.

DMe3 says thanks to staceygab for this post.

DMe3 likes this.
Old 08-30-2011 at 07:08 PM   #4
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Don't waste money on a livescribe when you can get this:

http://inkling.wacom.com/
Old 08-30-2011 at 08:42 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
Don't waste money on a livescribe when you can get this:

http://inkling.wacom.com/
lol, I was wondering when someone would post about it. that was fast.

although it's got potential, looks like the ink cartridges will need to be replaced often if you use it for heavy note-taking, and judging by wacom's prices for other replaceables, that could get pricey.
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:12 PM   #6
staceygab
Campus Store

Inkling is neat but it doesn't do sound recording and play it back when you tap the stylus on your handwritten notes like the Livescribe.
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:20 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

live scribe looks a bit to complex/complicated, good old pen and paper or even a laptop is good enough to get down all your notes in class. also with the livescribe it looks like you need that special book or w.e with the play record and stuff at the bottom, or does it work without the book? anyways too much of a hassle for a non techy like me
Old 08-30-2011 at 09:43 PM   #8
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

But with livescribe you need special paper, and Wacom is pretty much a standard in the CGI/Graphics design industry.

I've recorded some lectures on my iPhone but honestly... I doubt you'll find the time or drive to go back and actually listen to them again. Even if you wanted to, the best best would be to record it while you take notes, and jot down the time at a certain section so you can jump right to that part in the recording.

But yeah, you'll find that most of your notes (at least for me in science) are powerpoint slides that your prof will post and that you will print out and add additional notes to in class.

Edit:

I checked the Wacom site, they give you 4 extra ink cartridges. I then checked the specs, it just says: Standard Mini Ballpoint ink refill (1 mm ball size), black ink.

So in the end I think the Wacom would be way cheaper as you wouldn't have to keep buying the Livescribe paper.

Last edited by zango : 08-30-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2011 at 07:49 AM   #9
staceygab
Campus Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
live scribe looks a bit to complex/complicated, good old pen and paper or even a laptop is good enough to get down all your notes in class. also with the livescribe it looks like you need that special book or w.e with the play record and stuff at the bottom, or does it work without the book? anyways too much of a hassle for a non techy like me
The Livescribe "special" paper can be printed on any laser printer, so you don't have to keep buying it, and the ink refills are 5 for $5.99, so they're pretty cheap.