Register An Account / Login Tour  •  About  •  Advertise  •  Help  •  Contact   •  Conduct

MacInsiders Logo

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community! Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!

Disclaimer: Post in this section appear as 'anonymous'. Regular forum rules still apply. Anonymity is not guaranteed. Questions? Please contact us.

Long-Distance - Uni to high school

Old 06-19-2008   #1

Anonymous

Long-Distance - Uni to high school
Alright, so I'll post the obvious one for a university forum... long distance, how's it gonna work.

I'm not that worried about being far away, we're already five hours away from each other, going to university is actually bringing us closer, but i'm worried about meeting other people. I really like her, and don't want to cheat, or start liking someone else... is this going to be a problem? I'm worried that I won't be able to stop myself, and then really regret it.

she's in grade 11, so will still be at her school next year. i'm not too worried, because there's somthing about the same environment that it's harder to start something up. but i'm off to mac, and i think we're both worried about what's going to happen.

thanks!

Sponsored LinksLogin to hide ads

Old 06-19-2008   #2

Anonymous

Dear LongDistanceLover,

The answer is simple: If your relationship is strong, you should and will be able to overcome temptation. Don't be stupid and destroy what you've built up by cheating. Any relationship, regardless of the distance, requires a lot of work and compromise.

You are lucky in that you are already familiar with how a long-distance relationship functions, so that may actually be of help to you.

University is a huge transition. Because university is a new environment, you will need to get out and meet other people, because otherwise you will completely regret isolating yourself. Friends are useful...so make them while it is easy (ie during Welcome Week and the first few weeks of classes). You can still make new friends without putting your relationship in jeopardy.

Since you say you really like her and don't want to cheat, then some tips to help you do that include:

1. Focus on academics
Your schedule will also be changing everyday, and you have a lot to get used to in terms of the academic environment. Your workload will also be a lot more challenging than anything you've been faced with...you're going to have to spend more time on your studies in order to do well. Although there is an increase from eleventh to twelfth, it is not comparable to the difference between twelfth grade to first year of university. While it is important to have a balance and not to immerse yourself only in books, your first year marks are very important in order to keep up your entrance scholarship(s) if you have any, as well as getting yourself on the Dean's Honour List, or even to compete to get into a limited enrollment program in your upper years. Focusing on academics can help you stay away from distraction.

2. Keep up communication
When you haven't spoken to your girlfriend in a long time and start forgetting about her it leaves you vulnerable. Organize a time when you can call each other up on a regular basis. This way you will be able to catch up on what you are each up to, and continue building that relationship. Telephone calling is much more personal than e-mail, and I suggest you don't do this over e-mail or Facebook.

3. Pick situations wisely
If you think you're going to cheat, don't put yourself in a position where you will. Being alone with someone watching a movie on their bed can spell disaster.

4. Re-evaluate
As for the rest...I can't tell you what to do or what not to do. Human emotion isn't something you can simply switch on and off. If you do start to like someone then you need to re-evaluate your relationship. If your feelings for her have changed, and it is no longer something you wish to continue, it isn't fair for you or her to stay in the relationship.

I do know people who managed the long distance thing all four years of university, so it is definitely possible!

Good luck.

Sincerely,
The Dating Insider

Old 06-23-2008   #3

Anonymous

Perhaps you can webcam it? This way you can see her and she can see you. Most importantly though, if you are even considering cheating, perhaps you should re-evaluate just how much you care for her. I am not going to scold you, but that should never cross your mind if you do truly care for this girl.