off campus - how long to wait asmrke General Discussion 5 01-19-2009 05:55 PM
Long Distance Calling janeller General Discussion 7 09-09-2008 09:48 AM

The Long Gun Registry

Old 09-19-2010 at 11:34 AM   #1
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

The Long Gun Registry
Hey guys,

What are your inputs on the issue? Comments, queries and everything else!

Let it begin!

Cheers

Old 09-19-2010 at 11:41 AM   #2
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

$30 million a year for something that doesn't do much except police law-abiding citizens and doesn't do much for the illegal gun crime isn't exactly something I fancy, but considering $1 billion was dumped into it to set it up and the police think it's a worthwhile expenditure, I don't really know what to think.

Leaning towards abolish it, but could swing either way. I don't foresee it happening any time soon unless the Conservatives can whisk away some votes from the Liberal-Bloc-NDP group.

Old 09-19-2010 at 11:53 AM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Yeah, I'd get rid of it. I don't think having to register a gun is a huge burden to ownership, but the amount of wasted money for something that has little to no benefit is too hard to look past. I know we've already wasted a lot of money on it, but sunk cost fallacies aren't a good basis for policy.
Old 09-19-2010 at 05:03 PM   #4
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

The REAL REASON WHY we should get rid of it or keep it has been washed away by the squandering between the parties. Kinda pisses me off.

That said, I say scrap the GUN registry. We need to keep up on the PEOPLE who have them. The Posession and Acquisition Licenses handle that. I think some time down the road I'll be getting mine, there are a few rifles within my family and I'd like to take up target shooting for funsies sometime.
Old 09-19-2010 at 05:07 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Can i get a link to what you're talking about?
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:21 PM   #6
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Aisde from registry, Canadian citizens SHOULD have the right to own ANY kind of firearm (semi, auto...).

The US shares a big border with Canada, and its so easy for people coming into Canada to smuggle any kind of firearm. The law abiding citizen wouldn't have possession, but those who don't follow the law will. And when you ban automatic firearms, you only punish the law-abiding citizens.

Plus, if a group of 5 armed men broke in your house. I am pretty sure an automatic rifle is going to be more useful than a shotgun, semi rifle, or calling 911. A shotgun would have a large area effect but there is greater error if you're not very close to your target. And when you're facing multiples, you need an auto so you can keep shooting.
Old 09-29-2010 at 12:09 AM   #7
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

a situation where the undemocratically chosen liberal leader is being undemocratic, fun to watch