MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Scuptures hidden around McMaster's campus... can you spot them all? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-29-2011 11:56 AM
Cutting Costs and Saving Money on Your Meal Plan! mitch Food & Meal Plans 16 10-18-2008 10:36 AM
CFMU - McMaster's campus radio Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 0 07-17-2007 08:16 AM

A look into the future of McMaster's Cutting-edge Downtown Health Campus

Via Hamilton Magazine

When completed, the McMaster Health Campus promises to be a hub for students, teaching, patient care and research, seeing up to 54,000 patient visits every year and allowing some 15,000 Hamiltonians now without a doctor to have a family physician. It will bring 4,000 McMaster students downtown and serve as home to 450 McMaster employees, to say nothing of the jobs spinoff during design and construction phases. When Hamilton’s General Issues Committee assented to the campus plan, Hamilton Mayor Bob Bratina fairly beamed. “This is our finest hour,” the Mayor said. “We will take pride years from now that we’ve made this happen.” McMaster president Patrick Deane described the achievement as a “beachhead in downtown."

75,000 patient visits a year. “The partnership would bring together two of the city’s leading institutions and their missions to provide the very best learning opportunities, community services and partnerships,” said then-president of McMaster, Peter George. The facility was to combine a large primary care and learning centre with complementary research groups and commercial activities.

"a building estimated at $80 million and 152,000 square feet total. The more palatable pitch hooked council, who voted to commit more than $47 million over 30 years to the project, one that is hoped to raise a number of boats on adjacent blocks, attracting like-minded businesses and professionals, and economic uplift as a result"

Read more

Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 12-16-2011 at 10:24 AM   #2
Wings
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Thats so cool
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-16-2011 at 10:59 AM   #3
Sintos
Program: Honours Life Science
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 85 Times

_Luu_ likes this.
Old 12-16-2011 at 01:37 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
Residence: SOCS FoSo!

Liked: 160 Times
What year is this to finish?

Old 12-16-2011 at 02:08 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
Cool, it will be right beside Jackson square and the convention centre
Old 12-16-2011 at 05:29 PM   #6
nomchock
Program: Business
Year: Fourth

Liked: 31 Times
i wonder who is going to pay for this once the project is overrun 3 or 4 fold
Old 12-16-2011 at 08:07 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
Are you kidding me?
You think 4,000 students want to be downtown?

Welcome to Hamilton! Enjoy your stay!

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-16-2011 at 08:10 PM   #8
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle
Program: Shapeshifting and Transfiguration
Year: Fourth
Residence: Evil

Liked: 325 Times
Built long after I give a ****.
Old 12-16-2011 at 08:33 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Are you kidding me?
You think 4,000 students want to be downtown?
Welcome to Hamilton! Enjoy your stay!
Well part of the argument is that the university campus will be responsible for making the area better.. if you're going to increase the foot traffic in an area trending to more 'well-off' people, you could say the area will tend to improve. This will increase local business' profits, better housing prices, increase vendors in jackson square (so many vacant spots inside) and lead to more housing development to accomodate the influx of students.

I'm sure you could come up for reasons why it could get worse ('well-to-dos' being target of crime, etc), but I think its better. The problem is that you're judging what will happen there in the future based of how it is currently, but there's a 'feedback' you're not considering.

Do you think having McMaster where it is made the surrounding area better or worse?

p.s. that video is horrifying

soltintal likes this.
Old 12-16-2011 at 08:53 PM   #10
LWright
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: Les Prince Hall

Liked: 3 Times
I work on Main and Wentworth and it's really not that bad. It's not the same as where Mac is not, but it is not like you can't walk outside. There have been just as many stabbings around Mac!

soltintal likes this.
Old 12-17-2011 at 01:17 AM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Hamilton's not actually as bad with Crime as most people perceive it to be http://www2.macleans.ca/crime-chart/

Hamilton here is ranked a lowly 42nd in the Country despite it's multitude of Economic problems, the Crime here on average is close to the Canadian Average. But a point made above is definitely true, once there is higher foot traffic and activity crime usually tends to go down and police presence tends to go up. Despite it's problems Hamilton has taken some positive steps, for example the crime rates around Gore Park have gone down with increased police presence. As for the stabbing incident, the perpetrator is more akin to a serial killer since it's allegedly his third unprovoked stabbing of the month. He is clearly an extreme example of a mentally disturbed individual.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-18-2011 at 10:44 PM   #12
Jessicaaaa
Program: Law and Anthropology
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 42 Times
they even included all of the people smoking outside the health campus. How accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search