MacInsiders Logo

Looking for good acoustic guitar for beginners

Old 09-29-2012 at 09:08 PM   #1
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Looking for good acoustic guitar for beginners
Hi MI,

I am very new to guitars, I wanted to give it a shot. I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction, in regards to buying a used/cheap guitar to start on, somewhere in Hamilton?
Old 09-29-2012 at 09:22 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

There was a thread related to or on buying guitars a few days ago. I'll try and find it and post a link here.
Old 09-30-2012 at 07:28 AM   #3
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Seagulls are excellent acoustic guitars.

Revolution1 likes this.
Old 09-30-2012 at 10:00 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

There are two music shops on james street I walk by every day (one just opened), there's one on Lock street before the bridge. I thought there was one in westdale, but haven't seen it recently so..

Apparently MacBEAT meets every thursday in Bridges Cafe too. If you're buying a 'beginners' guitar, it'll run you anywhere between 150-500, depending on quality; there's one listedin the macinsiders marketplace two weeks ago for 320$.
Old 09-30-2012 at 12:14 PM   #5
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
There are two music shops on james street I walk by every day (one just opened), there's one on Lock street before the bridge. I thought there was one in westdale, but haven't seen it recently so..

Apparently MacBEAT meets every thursday in Bridges Cafe too. If you're buying a 'beginners' guitar, it'll run you anywhere between 150-500, depending on quality; there's one listedin the macinsiders marketplace two weeks ago for 320$.
Do you think 200-250$ is a good range? maybe for a yamaha?
Old 09-30-2012 at 12:30 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
Do you think 200-250$ is a good range? maybe for a yamaha?
I'm not experienced on these sort of things, but it depends on what shape its in; you could find some as low as 150, and the price/quality would be good for a beginner (where intonation and whatnot isn't as important). Purely for practising and learning you shouldn't have much of a problem picking one up 150-200. I'd probably sell the yamaha kicking around my house for about that much, because its untuned and the body isn't in tip-top shape.
Old 09-30-2012 at 12:41 PM   #7
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

For $200 - 250, you could get into the nice entry-level acoustic guitars, as long
as you're comfortable with buying used.

It's a buyer's market out there. You could get a used $400 - 600 guitar for $200 - 250 on
Kijiji / Craigslist.

Look into Seagull, Takamine (not Jasmine), Yamaha, Art & Lutherie, and Fender.
Yamahas are great, BUT you have to be picky and do your research. They have some models that
are downright horrible - but then this goes for every guitar manufacturer.

Don't just pick one up because it's cheap. You know what they say - if it's too good to be true...

Things to what out for are cracks (especially on the neck, fretboard, neck joint, and body),
lifting bridge, twisted neck, concavity of the neck, fret life (a well used guitar will have dents and divots
on the frets), functioning truss rod, etc.
Old 09-30-2012 at 01:07 PM   #8
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
For $200 - 250, you could get into the nice entry-level acoustic guitars, as long
as you're comfortable with buying used.

It's a buyer's market out there. You could get a used $400 - 600 guitar for $200 - 250 on
Kijiji / Craigslist.

Look into Seagull, Takamine (not Jasmine), Yamaha, Art & Lutherie, and Fender.
Yamahas are great, BUT you have to be picky and do your research. They have some models that
are downright horrible - but then this goes for every guitar manufacturer.

Don't just pick one up because it's cheap. You know what they say - if it's too good to be true...

Things to what out for are cracks (especially on the neck, fretboard, neck joint, and body),
lifting bridge, twisted neck, concavity of the neck, fret life (a well used guitar will have dents and divots
on the frets), functioning truss rod, etc.
I see your point. How is the yamaha fg700s? Do you think I coud still keep the resale value if I buy used? Thats the only thing that pushes m to buy a new one.
Old 09-30-2012 at 01:23 PM   #9
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Quote:
I see your point. How is the yamaha fg700s? Do you think I coud still keep the resale value if I buy used? Thats the only thing that pushes m to buy a new one.
I haven't had any experience with the FG700s, but judging from the specs,
it looks like a good one. Remember that wood is very inconsistent and quality
varies greatly from one guitar to another. You have to play one to know if it's good or not.
Take a friend who knows how to play (I mean PLAY)
and let him/her play it for you and ask for his opinion.

About the resale value: Definitely. Guitars are not like cars where the number of past owners
matter - except for the really collectible ones like vintage guitars.

I have NEVER flipped a guitar that I bought used for a loss. I have owned almost 50 guitars
at one time and have bought and sold anywhere between 150 - 200 guitars.

lifesciman1 says thanks to VastHorizon for this post.
Old 09-30-2012 at 06:51 PM   #10
Revolution1

Liked: 77 Times

Seagulls all the way! They look classy and sound great. Personally, I hate those cheap, glossy beginner acoustic guitars.

Someone is selling one used in the Classifieds here.
Old 09-30-2012 at 07:20 PM   #11
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Ahh, what the heck... Let's throw some guitar pr0n on here.

Martin!

Old 10-15-2012 at 10:18 PM   #12
VastHorizon
Elite Member

So... What did you end up getting?
Old 10-16-2012 at 09:58 AM   #13
lifesciman1

The Seagull S6
Old 10-16-2012 at 11:40 AM   #14
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Quote:
The Seagull S6
Good choice.

lifesciman1 says thanks to VastHorizon for this post.