MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-30-2010 at 03:21 PM   #1
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

looking for a job
im just wondering, im looking for a job able to fit into my schedule, but haven't had costumer service experience in Canada. do you know any place that's hiring and/or isn't to sketchy about costumer service experience? looking for something in hamilton or mississauga preferably!!!
Old 12-30-2010 at 03:25 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Why does it have to be customer service?
Old 12-30-2010 at 03:31 PM   #3
santiagoeb

i didn't mean that, just that relatively most of the jobs require some sort of experience of the kind. it does not necessarily have to be in costumer service
Old 12-30-2010 at 03:46 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Try Tim Hortons and what not, they generally start fresh.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-30-2010 at 04:26 PM   #5
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

OSCAR is a pretty good place to manage and find job placements.
Old 12-30-2010 at 04:27 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post
OSCAR is a pretty good place to manage and find job placements.
Yup, its how I got my summer job.

The only suggestion I give for it is to check it early and check it often.. the placements you're likely to get depend on you being the first 10 people to apply to it.
Old 12-30-2010 at 11:33 PM   #7
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Burger king on main street is hiring. Night job-part time or full time

lawleypop, santiagoeb all say thanks to kanishka for this post.
Old 12-30-2010 at 11:45 PM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

If you need some cash on the quicks, then go work at an Asian restaurant. Chances are you'll be underpaid, overworked, and working illegally. It's a quick alternative sometimes.

....as long as you're Asian and can speak Mandarin/Cantonese.
Old 12-31-2010 at 07:44 AM   #9
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
....as long as you're Asian and can speak Mandarin/Cantonese.
Hm "Santiago" sounds kinda spanish to me.

santiagoeb likes this.
Old 12-31-2010 at 03:29 PM   #10
santiagoeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
Hm "Santiago" sounds kinda spanish to me.
Oh hey, is it that evident?

mcmasterrrrr likes this.
Old 12-31-2010 at 07:09 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoeb View Post
Oh hey, is it that evident?
Haha just a little
Old 12-31-2010 at 08:31 PM   #12
santiagoeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Haha just a little
i was already working on my disguise for the Asian restaurant guess it wouldn't work either way
Old 01-01-2011 at 12:28 AM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoeb View Post
i was already working on my disguise for the Asian restaurant guess it wouldn't work either way
Haha no worries. I know of a few non-Asians who work at Asian restaurants, not many, but still possible
Old 01-01-2011 at 11:52 AM   #14
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

The trick to finding employment with hours flexible enough to fit with your university schedule is to think of what sort of places hire students and will be alright with hiring you despite your limited availability and apply there. Some good places to start looking are: Fast food restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, and department stores. Cashiers and stockboys are almost always needed, especially near the beginning of summer and the start of fall, as this is when many student workers go on vacation and/or move out of town to go to university. After you find a place that will likely be alright with you working limited hours, write up an excellent resume and make it specific to each store. If you write a generic resume that looks like you handed it out to every store around town (even if you did..) you are less likely to be hired. Stores like thinking you want to work there specifically. Even if the store is not hiring right away, submit a resume anyway and if possible ask to speak to whomever does the hiring and hand it to them directly. If your other prospects don't pull through immediately, they might pick up the resume down the line when they do need workers and give you a call, especially if you made a good impression while submitting the resume in person.

Another, albeit probably not helpful suggestion, is to check with the local YMCA. If it's anything like the YMCA from my hometown, it will always be in need of people. Although you'll definitely need a criminal reference check and perhaps some first aid qualifications to be anything but a janitor. Also if you have some swimming credentials already, go the distance and become a lifeguard, it's essentially a guaranteed job anywhere and looks amazing on a job application down the road.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 01-01-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2011 at 12:28 PM   #15
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Cashiers and stockboys are almost always needed, especially near the beginning of summer and the start of fall
This. So unfortunately, now is the worst time to be looking for a job. Right after Christmas most retail places terminate seasonal workers and hours are cut back big time.