MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Love Jam! etoilex3 General Discussion 0 10-14-2010 03:49 PM
Having sex if you are not in love.... chrisjones Dating & Relationships 135 10-13-2010 12:54 PM
Red Sky: I Love My Bike rickmeister Computers & Tech 3 02-16-2010 10:40 PM
Why Do You Love the Library? lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-09-2010 10:50 AM

The I love MSU and SRA thread

Old 06-17-2009 at 07:07 AM   #1
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

The I love MSU and SRA thread
People are constantly looking for flaws within the SRA and the MSU. There is a HUGE difference between trashing an organization and giving constructive criticism. We can all point fingers and jump at every opportunity we can to trash an organization. However, we are all students and we truly want what is best for McMaster. Sometimes we disagree with one another's actions but deep down we're sincerely trying to help students out. I know I've moved on from the MSU (extra curricular wise) and onto the IRC. However, the MSU has made me into the student I am today. I was never involved at all in high school and I never thought I would get involved in university. If it wasn't for the MSU service Maroons (the first thing I ever got involved in) I don't think I would currently be the Vice President Communications of the IRC. That being said, this thread is dedicated to writing ONLY positive comments about the MSU and it's services which include Maroons, SRA, PAC, SWHAT, Horizons, CLAY, etc etc etc.

finklej, lorend, Nino, jmbauman all say thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 06-17-2009 at 10:03 AM   #2
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

i love the MSU for:

QSCC
Union Market
the HSR pass
MSU clubs!
Compass
student representation
...and more!
Old 06-17-2009 at 10:05 AM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

MSU Clubs (like MacInsiders) ftw!
Old 06-17-2009 at 11:42 AM   #4
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

The SRA who sit through agonizing 16 hour meetings trying to make this school the best it can. The dedication of the BoD, who put themselves in the line of fire with every decision that they make. The service managers who struggle to find the fine line between offering a competitive service for students, while still managing to break even at the end of the year.

All of these factors combine to make one helluva MSU.

maya_kanani, jmbauman all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 06-17-2009 at 01:42 PM   #5
Chris.Martin

Liked: 0 Times

We're an organization entirely run by students, and we're respected on the provincial and federal level. Students are at the forefront of Post-Secondary reform policy thinking, and we're doing it through organizations we created ourselves.

I know that sounds nerdy, but I'm pretty proud of us for that.

Lets also not forget that when we say MSU, we mean every student too, since we're all members of the corporation.

Chris Martin
Vice-President (Education)
McMaster Students Union

Last edited by Chris.Martin : 06-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2009 at 01:44 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I was under the impression that MSU Inc. was separate, although related body of the MSU.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-17-2009 at 02:14 PM   #7
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

MAROONSS!! and OUSA!
Old 06-17-2009 at 02:44 PM   #8
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Yeap, the MSU is actually underrated as a great oppurtunity to partcipate in a number of volunteer oppurtunities on campus and contribute to the overall well being of the student body. Being an elected member of a couple of MSU positions right now, there is nothing more I find liberating then the feeling that I am doing something for the greater good of everyone. If only more individuals start taking part and help us do something constructive things would be even better; I will not deny the fact that there are a small number of people who are actually actively involved and working within the MSU and at first it looks like an exclusive little bubble, but what people forget is that everyone starts somewhere and I actually started out the same way a couple of SRA members here(like Mr Finkle) are saying: Going to the 14 hour meetings, reading up on Minutes and other posts, watching over and contributing to Macinsiders discussions and so on. It was intimidating at first but very soon I assure you, you will come to love this organization and what it does(mostly on a volunteer basis) for students.

However having said all that I still think the SRA still needs ALOT of work as far as communications and visibility is concerned, a regular student is more then capable of keeping up with details and seemingly complex issues if he is so inclined. Run of the mill/Cliche press releases only serves to create a false sense of disconnection with the MSU. Neverthless the new SRA has taken a good few steps(SRA Blog, more regular MSU website updates, and Caucus leaders using FB and Twitter) but still it needs to continue and provide people with more details so that(as happened this week) people aren't made to fill in the blanks with their own imagination and perceptions.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-18-2009 at 11:54 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Don't forget PAID work experience! That's really important too; especially if you're a PTM or a FTM because the positions can be very beneficial to you later.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement