MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-11-2009 at 01:16 AM   #1
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Low GPA...
So wat are the consequences of not having a GPA of 6 in first level life science by the end of this semester????
Old 01-11-2009 at 01:24 AM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Do you mean a CA, as in Cumulative Average?

See the Academic Regulations here

Honours Life Sciences requirements here

If you don't make the cut off, you don't get into the program. You can however shadow the program and bring your grades up. Speak to an advisor about it.

Old 01-11-2009 at 02:01 AM   #3
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

alright... one more question...Do i need to take math 1AA3 inorder to move onto Level 2 life sci?? Just making sure
Old 01-12-2009 at 12:32 AM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Just to expand on what kokosas has said...

When they say 'shadow your program' it basically means that you will be an 'unofficial' member of the life sciences program. You won't be registered in it, but you can have a 'probationary position' in the required courses. If by the end of 2nd year, you can raise your cumulative average to a 6, then you'll be put into the program.

If you fail to meet a CA of 6 by the end of 2nd year (but are above 3), you will have to enroll in a general (ie. "non-honours") degree program and graduate after 3 years.

And if you're below 3, you will have to withdraw from the university for at least one year...at least I think that's how it goes. Please correct me anyone, if you see any obvious mistakes.

----------------------

As for your other question, are you entering next year? (ie. Sept. 2009)

Then the answer is no:

EFFECTIVE 2009-2010: Completion of any Level I program with a Cumulative Average of at least 6.0 including: 3 units from MATH 1A03, 1LS3 9 units from BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03 (or 1AA3), PSYCH 1X03 (or 1AA3), 1XX3 (or 1A03) with an average of at least 6.0 12 units from Life Sciences I Course List

And this note:

ADMISSION NOTES (EFFECTIVE 2009-2010)
  1. <A href="http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calendar/year2008/crs_178.htm">BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03 (or 1AA3), PSYCH 1X03 (or 1AA3), 1XX3 (or 1A03) must be completed by the end of Level II.
  2. Completion of one of <A href="http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calendar/year2008/crs_2133.htm">PHYSICS 1B03 or 1L03 will be required by the end of Level II.
So no, you don't need Math 1AA3.