MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is the passing mark we need? 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 10-09-2011 02:03 PM
Math 1M03 Mark Sayora Academics 1 05-03-2011 06:31 PM
BIO 1M03 still not appearing on grade mark luna Academics 3 05-02-2011 10:11 PM
If my final mark is... Mac12 Academics 15 04-22-2011 04:31 PM
Mark Check syan9184 Academics 18 12-25-2009 12:41 PM

Low mark in bio 1m03...

Old 03-19-2012 at 07:21 PM   #1
Driftking24

Liked: 0 Times

Low mark in bio 1m03...
I just saw my multiple choice mark for my second bio 1m03 midterm, and I got around a 66%. I studied for this one and aced Quinns' section of the test, but got destroyed by Evan's part. Including both short answer and multiple choice, I got about 69-70% on my first midterm.

I'm really worried that this course will bring my overall average down. I wouldn't be so stressed if it was only one midterm, but this is the second time now. The only chance I have to pull up my mark will be the final exam.

I usually get 9 or 10 in most of my courses (last term), and I'm getting similar marks right now. Is it possible to still end up with around 9 or 10 in the course? The final exam is worth 40%, but I'm not sure how I did on the PBL project (worth 10%).
Old 03-19-2012 at 07:40 PM   #2
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

just like you said just study really hard for your final exam and see how you do
you can't do anything else but that

Driftking24 says thanks to cjdzl for this post.
Old 03-19-2012 at 08:43 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftking24 View Post
I just saw my multiple choice mark for my second bio 1m03 midterm, and I got around a 66%. I studied for this one and aced Quinns' section of the test, but got destroyed by Evan's part. Including both short answer and multiple choice, I got about 69-70% on my first midterm.

I'm really worried that this course will bring my overall average down. I wouldn't be so stressed if it was only one midterm, but this is the second time now. The only chance I have to pull up my mark will be the final exam.

I usually get 9 or 10 in most of my courses (last term), and I'm getting similar marks right now. Is it possible to still end up with around 9 or 10 in the course? The final exam is worth 40%, but I'm not sure how I did on the PBL project (worth 10%).
do the math--assuming the tests are worth 25% each (to add up to 100% with the exam and PBL project), 0.65*25 + 0.69*25 = 33.5 out of a possible 50 marks. You still have 50 more marks to go, meaning your highest possible grade is 83.5. The likelihood of this happening is slim-to-none. Even getting 46.5/50 on the rest of the course is unlikely. So, your best likely scenario is a 9.

If you get less than 85% of the remaining 50 marks, you'll get an 8 or below.

At the end of the day, it's a required course, too late to drop now without failing anyways, so yes, it will probably bring your average down, but there's nothing you can do to change your past marks. It's not even a question of if you should drop the course...just do better on the exam, and learn to deal with getting the occasional low mark.

Driftking24 says thanks to nerual for this post.

britb, RyanC like this.
Old 03-19-2012 at 08:50 PM   #4
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

Do not go to hard on yourself. I'm getting 12s on almost all my courses, but unfortunately 1M03 was one of those courses that distroyed my GPA (i took it last semester and i know how brutal it can get). Its hard, exhausting and annoying. Make due with the best you got. The exam shouldn't be too bad, i wrote it last semester and it was tricky but fair.

Best of luck

Driftking24 says thanks to sam_akbari for this post.
Old 03-20-2012 at 08:12 AM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^1m03 is much harder this term compared to last term. Everyone got 10+ last term in it. New prof now is real tough. everyones not doing as well as they hoped in it.

tc, you can easily get 10 still in the course. midterms were only 30% each. tutorials and pbl project and other things are like a free 25/30 marks at least. and btw, you have one of the better marks i have seen on the midterms.

Driftking24 says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:12 AM   #6
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_akbari View Post
Do not go to hard on yourself. I'm getting 12s on almost all my courses, but unfortunately 1M03 was one of those courses that distroyed my GPA (i took it last semester and i know how brutal it can get). Its hard, exhausting and annoying. Make due with the best you got. The exam shouldn't be too bad, i wrote it last semester and it was tricky but fair.

Best of luck
Don't take english, it'll distroy your GPA even more.

britb, Driftking24, Watoko like this.