MacInsiders Logo

Lying to get the job

Old 06-21-2011 at 02:14 PM   #1
FYCO

Liked: 1 Time

Lying to get the job
Would you lie about your availability just to get a job? Like let's say you were going back to school and you knew you wouldn't be able to work after the summer would you still say you available?
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:17 PM   #2
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

No, because then they'd expect you to be available, and when it turns out you aren't, shit will hit the fan. Albeit, if you start working now, you could make some money, but Iunno how much trouble you'll get into later.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:18 PM   #3
missscarlett

Liked: 9 Times

I wouldn't mention it, but I wouldn't lie to their faces either.

Old 06-21-2011 at 02:19 PM   #4
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Nope.

^Though I guess most people would advise not to mention it on your own.

Last edited by Faer : 06-21-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:20 PM   #5
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Karma!
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:22 PM   #6
FYCO

Liked: 1 Time

lol I know lying is bad. I just received a call for a job and they ask my availability and I said I was going back to school. It seemed like that was the deal breaker but my friends were saying that I should of said that I would still be available and when it gets to September just say things have changed and then quit.

Anyone gone through the same thing recently?
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:23 PM   #7
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYCO View Post
Would you lie about your availability just to get a job? Like let's say you were going back to school and you knew you wouldn't be able to work after the summer would you still say you available?
i was in this situation last summer for a job in toronto and i told them that while i go to school in hamilton, and will be returning in sept, i'm willing to work on the weekends - and i managed to get the job and keep it throughout the year - occasionaly commuting on the weekends to/from toronto.

another thing to consider is the type of position - mine was casual so it really didnt matter but if its part time or full time and they expect a certain number of hours from you then lying is definitely not a good idea.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:23 PM   #8
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Well, I applied to Best Buy, and I wrote that I will be going back to school but I can manage weekends. So if you have the chance, tell them that you could still do weekends when you go back to school (unless you can't, then don't lie and just nod and smile).
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:38 PM   #9
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Sometimes I find that being truthful in situations of obvious disadvantage actually ends up being beneficial. Good luck, anyhow.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:43 PM   #10
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I don't think lying is the best idea, but I've always wondered, what's the worst they can do? fire you? lol by that time you wouldn't want to be there anyways...

Faer likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:44 PM   #11
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

All I could think about when I read the title was that random deodourant commercial on TV about lying about knowing Dutch (which, I may add, in that situation is the DUMBEST thing ever).

Anywho, don't say you aren't going to school. Just say something like I have school in September but I could probably manage a job. If you can, great. If you can't? You can't. If I'm the employer and someone lies to me about something like going to school, I'm not stupid. They did it to get the job. That means a bad reference.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:47 PM   #12
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
All I could think about when I read the title was that random deodourant commercial on TV about lying about knowing Dutch (which, I may add, in that situation is the DUMBEST thing ever).

Anywho, don't say you aren't going to school. Just say something like I have school in September but I could probably manage a job. If you can, great. If you can't? You can't. If I'm the employer and someone lies to me about something like going to school, I'm not stupid. They did it to get the job. That means a bad reference.
but why would you give them as a reference?
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:49 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
I don't think lying is the best idea, but I've always wondered, what's the worst they can do? fire you? lol by that time you wouldn't want to be there anyways...
Only if after you quit you delete all records of every working there. If your next employer has to ability to find out then you're pretty much screwed.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:19 PM   #14
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYCO View Post
Would you lie about your availability just to get a job?
Yes, yes I would...

J. Dorey, lizziepizzie like this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 05:52 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
Well, I applied to Best Buy, and I wrote that I will be going back to school but I can manage weekends. So if you have the chance, tell them that you could still do weekends when you go back to school (unless you can't, then don't lie and just nod and smile).
Any 'ol idiot can work weekends... you're competing with people who are looking for full time work, so its kind-of a given... what sets you apart from the other applicants is what matters to an employer.

p.s. did you get the best buy job?