MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-16-2008 at 11:32 PM   #1
jeff87

Liked: 0 Times

Mac Gym
Anyone know much much a membership costs, how much locker rental is, and when and how do you get these?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2008 at 12:44 AM   #2
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

If your only using the Gym for casual use (basketball, squash, badminton, etc) then I believe its free.

If you need to use the Fitness equipment then you need a Pulse membership:
http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/registration/pulse.htm

For locker rental and other services:
http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/registration/services.htm

"To purchase a membership or service package, please go to registration office located in room WG 101 of the David Braley Athletic Centre"

Cristina_n13 says thanks to Allan for this post.
Old 07-17-2008 at 08:15 AM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

The basket ball courts, the pool, the track and the squash courts are free. Squash racket rentals are 2 dollars I believe. With the exception of the pool and the track you need to sign up for an open time slot.

Pool hours:http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/aquatics/swimtimes.htm
This is from 07-08 but this is the general idea

BlakeM, Cristina_n13 all say thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 07-28-2008 at 03:27 PM   #4
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Like the others said, the pool and the track are free. Squash is free too, if you have your own raquet. They cost like $3 to rent, plus you have to sign up for an open room.

Last year, the gym membership (meaning the weight lifting equipment, cardio machines, etc) was $94 for the year. You can buy only for one term though, if you want that instead.

You don't need to buy a locker. There are lockers called "day lockers", which means anyone with a lock can use them for the day. That's for someone who goes to the gym maybe twice or three times a week and wants to put their stuff away. They are free.
At like 11pm every night, I assume everything is taken out of the day lockers. So make sure you don't leave anything in there. The only problem is, if it's busy, there might not be any empty lockers (if you're going to the gym with a friend, share a locker so there's more for other people)

You can pay to rent a locker, and that will be YOUR locker only for as long as you rented it for.

Cristina_n13 says thanks to HeatherH for this post.
Old 07-28-2008 at 04:16 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

And if you forget your lock for the day locker it's $1.00 for a lock which comes with a little lamenated piece of paper with the code on it. Don't lose it or you replace the lock!

Old 07-28-2008 at 04:45 PM   #6
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

do a lot of first yrs go to the gym on an occasional student? Im speakin as a first yr engineering student..i want to get a pass but I dont think I'll have much time..
Old 07-28-2008 at 05:43 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
do a lot of first yrs go to the gym on an occasional student? Im speakin as a first yr engineering student..i want to get a pass but I dont think I'll have much time..

I'm not an engineer but I know quite a few and I'd have to say that it's a mixed answer that really depends on you and your study habits. Some don't find first year engineering that hard and can manage going to the gym, I knew an engineer who went to the gym every day for all 4 years of his study. I also know quite a few who barely have time to shower and eat let alone think of working out. Perhaps you would be best to do first semester without the gym and if by the end of first semester you feel you can handle it then you can sign up for a second semester membership!

Old 07-28-2008 at 07:58 PM   #8
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

For squash and the gym make sure to check out the SHORT STOP!

For:
- Squash raquettes rentals and purchases
- Squash goggles and balls
- swimming equipment
- Cheap locks
- showering stuff (soap, shampoo, deoderant)
- and for some wicked clothes to wear to the gym or just sport off!

on that note, I would urge you to try to go to the gym as much as possible. Yes you will be working really hard in school for eng, but the gym helps get your mind off of it and recover for a bit. even if its jus for 40 minutes between classes! And its a great place to meet new friends or run into old friends and socialize while working out!

temara.brown says thanks to Ian Finlay for this post.
Old 07-28-2008 at 10:18 PM   #9
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
You don't need to buy a locker. There are lockers called "day lockers", which means anyone with a lock can use them for the day. That's for someone who goes to the gym maybe twice or three times a week and wants to put their stuff away. They are free.
So the lockers are free if we bring our own locks?
Old 07-28-2008 at 10:36 PM   #10
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
So the lockers are free if we bring our own locks?
Yup. But keep in mind, if it's busy, there might not be any empty lockers left.
Old 07-29-2008 at 12:34 AM   #11
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

LOL yay promos!! I also quite enjoy traversing through the short stop.. quite enjoyable

...and I definitely agree with the fact that you'll have time to go to the gym for at least 1/2 an hour here and there! It's sooo nice inside, why would you not want to?

....and the smoothies!!!....

here's another article about the David Braley center for further research purposes =)!
Old 07-29-2008 at 11:31 AM   #12
HartleyW

Liked: 0 Times

How often would you say the gym lockers are all in use and none are free?
Old 07-29-2008 at 12:31 PM   #13
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I think it depends on what time in the day you get there.. earlier in the morning is the best time
Old 07-29-2008 at 12:46 PM   #14
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

And during the summer you rarely have a problem getting a day locker

Old 07-29-2008 at 08:23 PM   #15
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

there is usually no problem to get a locker. The only time its hard is the first 3 weeks of january, since people do the whole new years thing but then it goes back to normal