MacInsiders Logo

How is Mac Life Science :D

Old 12-05-2012 at 09:13 PM   #1
superman208

Liked: 3 Times

How is Mac Life Science :D
Hi, im planning to come to Mac, my avg is well above 90%, but im having hard time choosing between Mac and UTSC (I know UofT is hard, but i heard UTSC is a bit easier).

I really want to come to Mac, but unfortunately its too far :( and expensive.
I plan to apply to pharmacy after 2 yrs undergrad of life science!

I want to know if Mac is a bit easier than uoft, if anybody knows. I know no uni. is easy but I need a GOOD GPA for pharmacy!
If I can get a nice GPA, i will come!

Can you guys give me general information, and why Mac is better than UofT.
Old 12-05-2012 at 09:35 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Mac LifeSci, especially first year is however you make it. I found it to be quite chill, obviously it takes hard work to do well but it certainly wasn't anything unreasonable. I cannot speak for UTSC but I can say that if you put in the effort at Mac you will come out with a decent GPA.

And Mac is the greatest school in the world and i'm not even THAT biased. That's why it's better then UofT.

superman208 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.

DMe3, swarly like this.
Old 12-05-2012 at 09:37 PM   #3
superman208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Mac LifeSci, especially first year is however you make it. I found it to be quite chill, obviously it takes hard work to do well but it certainly wasn't anything unreasonable. I cannot speak for UTSC but I can say that if you put in the effort at Mac you will come out with a decent GPA.

And Mac is the greatest school in the world and i'm not even THAT biased. That's why it's better then UofT.

How much is a decent GPA
Old 12-05-2012 at 09:41 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

What would you say a decent GPA is?
There are certainly no gaurentee's but if you put the work in 3.5+ is manageable in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2012 at 09:50 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

You will get a good GPA if you enjoy what you're doing and where you are...the attitude you seem have, where how "easy" or "hard" a school is will determine your GPA, will get you nowhere. How easy a school is is subjective, the people are biased, there are no real statistics so you're just going off of unreliable hearsay and it very much depends on the person. This should be the very last factor in a decision, if it even factors in at all. Also, keep in mind that some people need to work harder than others to get a GPA that they're happy with.

Plenty of people do their undergrads at Mac and go into pharmacy. Plenty of people also do undergrad at UofT and go into pharmacy.

Your program is what you make of it, and different programs/schools suit people differently.
Choose a school where you will actually enjoy yourself.

superman208 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 12-05-2012 at 10:02 PM   #6
superman208

Thats the problem idk where i would enjoy myself, im thinking if Mac is actually worth the money.
Old 12-05-2012 at 10:08 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman208 View Post
Thats the problem idk where i would enjoy myself, im thinking if Mac is actually worth the money.
There's only one way to find out. If and when you get accepted to McMaster, choose McMaster. Then, ask yourself if it is actually worth the money. Besides that method, you can only speculate..
Old 12-05-2012 at 10:10 PM   #8
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Thats the problem idk where i would enjoy myself

In a dark place where no one can see you?

im thinking if Mac is actually worth the money.

Okay, so if you dont like the program take something else, like engineering for example. Jokes.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 12-05-2012 at 10:14 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

if its too far and expensive, choose whatever is closer. there wont be much difference in the undergrad if youre just gonna do pharmacy anyways.
Old 12-06-2012 at 01:39 AM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

The thing is, you're banking on the fact that you're going to get into pharmacy right? what if by the time second year rolls by, you decide you're not interested in it anymore? I disagree with the thought that you should just pick whichever is more convenient, just because you have the end goal of pharmacy in mind.
Visit both campuses, see which environment you like better, and checked out what other programs you might be interested in for upper years. Because in the end, putting all your eggs into one basket only to end up stuck somewhere you dislike would really suck.
Not trying to downplay your enthusiasm about pharmacy, I just know a lot of people in various programs who had really specific goals, only to find out they didn't want to pursue them. I was that way myself (former lifesci, too). But the thing with university is you have to keep an open mind.

Last edited by anon491 : 12-06-2012 at 01:45 AM.

superman208 says thanks to anon491 for this post.

TheCrucible, Yashoda like this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 11:47 AM   #11
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Yes...once you enter univ, there's a good chance you'll change your mind.
I came gung-ho on research, and now I'm applying to med school to become a clinical physician.

superman208 says thanks to Zebedee for this post.

Yashoda likes this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 04:36 PM   #12
superman208

Do you guys know how Mac is compared to other universities for life sciences though? What do your friends say who go in life science at UofT, York, Waterloo ?

And do you guys know if Mac is recognized in the united states as much as UofT?
Old 12-06-2012 at 04:47 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Do you guys know how Mac is compared to other universities for life sciences though? What do your friends say who go in life science at UofT, York, Waterloo ?

I have no idea what people in the US think of Mac, but it is ranked pretty decently on international lists.

Only someone who has actually done life sci at multiple schools can properly compare, and even so, it's highly dependent on the person's preferences. What other people say tells you pretty much nothing.
Old 12-06-2012 at 06:37 PM   #14
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:

who cares about life sci at schools. its gonna be the same almost and life sci at mac is just a bunch of electives anyways after 1st year. other schools are probably gonna be like that too for life sci. macs other science programs like biochem, chembio, bio, w.e, etc are all good enough and these are programs you can apply to after 1st year. if you wanna stay in life sci and just do electives, go where its cheaper.
Old 12-06-2012 at 08:58 PM   #15
superman208

I dont want to go to some shitty university, i want to go to a well reputated university that is not as hard as UofT, and where its possible to get 3.5 GPA + in life sciences if you put effort in it.

I'm thinking Mac because its not as hard as UofT and its not as low ranked as York. Its an excellent university and a plance where 3.5 GPA is achievable?

Out of 100 people how many do you guys think have 3.5 GPA?

Afsha-noon likes this.