MacInsiders Logo

How is Mac Life Science :D

Old 12-06-2012 at 08:59 PM   #16
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman208 View Post
I dont want to go to some shitty university, i want to go to a well reputated university that is not as hard as UofT, and where its possible to get 3.5 GPA + in life sciences if you put effort in it.

I'm thinking Mac because its not as hard as UofT and its not as low ranked as York. Its an excellent university and a plance where 3.5 GPA is achievable?

Out of 100 people how many do you guys think have 3.5 GPA?
That isn't a realistic question to ask someone on here...

superman208 says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

superman208 likes this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 09:05 PM   #17
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

My room mate transferred to Mac because he had a tough time at UofT...

Anyways, my advice is if your looking for an easier ride, try to avoid the research-intensive universities.

McMaster, UofT, Western, Queens, Waterloo, etc are all great universities known for their research. The life science programs these schools offer will be anything but easy.

Look at undergraduate schools that aren't as well known but have generally positive reviews...unfortunate ly I can't recommend any but my advice is to do research to find out which school would work for you...

superman208 says thanks to mastercool for this post.

superman208 likes this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 09:23 PM   #18
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I dont want to go to some shitty university

Then don't go to University of Ontario Institute of Technology.

Just kidding.

Also you start sounding like a person that thinks that university's name is the only, and most important thing when you are looking for a job. It's not true. It's not only where you do your education, but also what you do besides it, and how well you do it. I'm talking about projects, teams, student life participation and whatnot. If you think if you go to Harvard, graduate with 55% and get a job, that's not how it works.

Also what grade system you are talking when referring to GPA? In McMaster system 3.5 is like 60%. I think you can get it in any program with little to no effort.

superman208 says thanks to AngryBean for this post.

superman208 likes this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 09:50 PM   #19
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
I dont want to go to some shitty university, i want to go to a well reputated university that is not as hard as UofT, and where its possible to get 3.5 GPA + in life sciences if you put effort in it.

I'm thinking Mac because its not as hard as UofT and its not as low ranked as York. Its an excellent university and a plance where 3.5 GPA is achievable?

how do you know mac isnt as hard as uoft? what makes you think uoft is hard? why is york low ranked to you? why does it matter where you do life sci which is just a program where you take electives? why does university rep even matter especially when youre just planning on leaving in 2 years, if you get in to pharm.

superman208 says thanks to Silver for this post.

superman208 likes this.
Old 12-06-2012 at 10:06 PM   #20
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:

You really don't get it, do you?

You want a good education, you're going to have to work for it.
People get excellent grades at EVERY school, UofT included.
People get poor grades at EVERY school, Mac and York included.
The percentage of people who have above a 3.5 GPA is completely meaningless because that says absolutely NOTHING about what your GPA will be. You determine that all by yourself.

superman208 says thanks to starfish for this post.

Old 12-07-2012 at 11:46 AM   #21
superman208

Liked: 3 Times

Okay thank you to all of you, I made my decision, I will be coming to Mac because..

1) one of the best schools for sciences
2) nice environment
3) NOT AS HARD as uoft, so i think i can handle it
4) everybody who graduates has positive things to say about Mac
5) if i dont make it to pharmacy school (god forbid) i can do masters etc here

anyways how many electives do i get in my first year life science?

Zebedee likes this.
Old 12-07-2012 at 12:12 PM   #22
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass..._2012-2013.pdf
Old 12-07-2012 at 01:41 PM   #23
superman208

Liked: 3 Times

3 each semester right? so 6 in total.

and what are you guys planning to do after life sciences?

Last edited by superman208 : 12-07-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2012 at 02:24 PM   #24
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

3 in total. And I transferred into Health Sciences, still not sure what the future holds however.
Old 12-10-2012 at 01:36 PM   #25
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Okay thank you to all of you, I made my decision, I will be coming to Mac because..

2) nice environment

Personally I feel that you are still choosing Mac for the wrong reason. I love Mac and think it's great but you continuously say that Mac is not as hard as UofT. I don't think you can say that. Nobody has completed Life Sci at both schools so a comparison can't be made. Other people have said this many times before, but university is what you make of it. Learning and teaching styles are very different from high school and you will have to put a significant amount of more effort into school. So don't choose Mac because you think it will be easy. I was in life sci first year and I can tell you that it is definitely not a walk in the park if you want a high GPA.
Old 12-10-2012 at 03:07 PM   #26
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:

2) nice environment

There are a few things wrong with you thinking. First off never come to a school for "hardness". You will find that the main programs at each competitive school are all very similar. Only specialty programs can be significantly harder. In fact sometimes schools like mac that are trying to become more known and better can be more difficult. Mac is usually rated (internationally) top 4 university in canada after UofT, UBC, Mcgill respectively. Because Mac is competing for that spot constantly it is trying to bring in the best students and up its curriculum.

Another thing: I have several friends in Life Sci and it is one of the most flexible science based programs. Your could make Life Sci relatively easy or make it one of the hardest programs at the university based on what electives you choose to take, particularly in later years.

Highschool is a joke. You could go into the easiest program at the shittiest university and still find it miles above highschool. Prepare yourself no matter what program you go into that you are going to be working hard.

Dont get too set on a single career choice. Many people change their minds through first year. For example in engineering there is general first year and then you pick your stream. I know few people that are in the stream they originally came to the university for, purely because their interests changed.

Finally dont just consider money or program. Visit the campus, talk to people and get a feel for it. You (whether commuting or not) will essentially be living on campus for the next 4+ years. Pick something you are going to enjoy and be happy with. When i was in your position I had the choice between two nearly identical programs at UofT and Mac and chose mac because of the campus, the size, and the much more friendly people.

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-10-2012 at 06:03 PM   #27
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

not to get personnel, but are you seriously considering graduate studies with that kind of attitude? Going for the easiest route, with the least amount of work required is a shitty life attitude to have. But if you really want the easiest route to getting high marks you can just take the mandatory courses (chemistry, biology, math, physics, etc) online at Athabasca or something. It'd be cheaper and easier if that is the goal in mind.

Good luck with your future endeavors