Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
That was me who posted the picture

As stated above I used GeekTools and Candybar
Here is the pic if you have any questions PM me
Could I get the script for the top of your screen?
The weather. day and time etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
I almost missed this thread

Colin, very nice setup. Is it a Macbook or an iMac?

Here's mine:

A lot of people don't like it because the dock icons are all similar. I really like it to be as minimal as possible so it was perfect for me.

Nobody uses MSN anymore, it's kinda sad to see 3 people on..

Where did you get your dock from? I am loving it.

Sorry if it seems like I'm bumming stuff of you guys xD. I just managed to get the weather to work but it does not look as cool! haha

Last edited by Crzyrio : 08-24-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2011 at 09:18 PM   #17
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Over the past 2 years, I have slowly handcrafted* every inch of differences in my Mac's UI. I have a library with about 2000+ icons I use because what pisses me off more than anything else is sharing my screen with somebody to have them rip off my Icon Set. That took me months to compile.

I will share if I'm brave enough.

*Edit for clarity: Not my icons, not my digital property

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 08-25-2011 at 02:25 PM.

UlteriorMtve likes this.
Old 08-24-2011 at 09:24 PM   #18
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Over the past 2 years, I have slowly handcrafted every inch of differences in my Mac's UI. I have a library with about 2000+ icons I use because what pisses me off more than anything else is sharing my screen with somebody to have them rip off my Icon Set. That took me months to compile.

:o This sounds good. We would love to take a look at it. I swear I won't rip anything of without your consent.

It is just awesome seeing what is possible with these programs. It really only stops at your imagination
Old 08-24-2011 at 09:34 PM   #19
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Where did you get your dock from? I am loving it.

Sorry if it seems like I'm bumming stuff of you guys xD. I just managed to get the weather to work but it does not look as cool! haha
Haha no worries, I basically copied a dock I saw online because I thought it looked awesome and I'm not pro enough to make my own.

Here's the link to it: http://arctictransfuse.devia ntart....ons-154466636?

He included a template for the icons which you'll need for some programs that aren't included in the pack.

The dock itself I removed completely (I'll try to find a link that explains how to do it, I don't know how off by heart) and then I added a black bar to the wallpaper I wanted that serves as the dock itself.
Old 08-24-2011 at 09:43 PM   #20
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Also, you can use ThemePark to modify the traffic lights and scrollbars. ThemePark isn't updated for Lion as yet.

I tend to do the scrollbars manually, as ThemePark isn't very user friendly. They're located at
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

There's two files you have to change. Use Extras2.rsrc if you have a Intel-based Mac and Extras.rsrc if it's PowerPC-based. A quick Google will give you some results for both scrollbars and traffic lights, but check deviantART and MacThemes to save some time.

Also, make sure to back up the original files.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of my desktop, with modified scrollbars and stoplights. I like to keep it simple. Tried out GeekTool but 1) don't have the patience, and 2) on a 13" notebook, there isn't much screen real-estate on your desktop so having desktop widgets will just be clutter without the function. I prefer a minimal look.

EDIT2: Also, see here for the very popular Aqua Extreme theme, New Dock, and Obsidian Menubar. Use CandyBar for the docks, and the themes come packaged, so no work involved. Just run the installer and you're good to go.

Last edited by Yogurt : 08-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 08-24-2011 at 10:05 PM   #21
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Also, you can use ThemePark to modify the traffic lights and scrollbars. ThemePark isn't updated for Lion as yet.

I tend to do the scrollbars manually, as ThemePark isn't very user friendly. They're located at
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

There's two files you have to change. Use Extras2.rsrc if you have a Intel-based Mac and Extras.rsrc if it's PowerPC-based. A quick Google will give you some results for both scrollbars and traffic lights, but check deviantART and MacThemes to save some time.

Also, make sure to back up the original files.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of my desktop, with modified scrollbars and stoplights. I like to keep it simple. Tried out GeekTool but 1) don't have the patience, and 2) on a 13" notebook, there isn't much screen real-estate on your desktop so having desktop widgets will just be clutter without the function. I prefer a minimal look.

I have somewhat similar scrollbars except I just used this: http://www.fif7y.com/themes/sog/

Much lazier way to do it
Old 08-24-2011 at 10:40 PM   #22
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I PMed u my scripts

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-24-2011 at 10:41 PM   #23
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Over the past 2 years, I have slowly handcrafted every inch of differences in my Mac's UI. I have a library with about 2000+ icons I use because what pisses me off more than anything else is sharing my screen with somebody to have them rip off my Icon Set. That took me months to compile.

Thats a little selfish dont u think ? there is nothin wrong with sharing, sharing is caring.

Last edited by L'Étoile : 08-24-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2011 at 11:20 PM   #24
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

12characters

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 08-31-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Old 08-24-2011 at 11:21 PM   #25
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thats a little selfish dont u think ? there is nothin wrong with sharing, sharing is caring.
I have no problem with personal requests to check out my desktop. I just don't normally post up my stuff on the web for public display.

The judgement is a little unnecessary.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-24-2011 at 11:35 PM   #26
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

LOL how am I judging you ? you said you dont want to share with others what you have been collecting for two years. Based on this data alone I said "thats a little selfish, dont you think?" You can answer with NO i worked hard for the icons or YES i am a mean little girl. The choice is yours. I did not judge at all.

And thanks for sharing the icons

Old 08-25-2011 at 07:51 AM   #27
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
I have no problem with personal requests to check out my desktop. I just don't normally post up my stuff on the web for public display.

The judgement is a little unnecessary.
Quote:
LOL how am I judging you ? you said you dont want to share with others what you have been collecting for two years. Based on this data alone I said "thats a little selfish, dont you think?" You can answer with NO i worked hard for the icons or YES i am a mean little girl. The choice is yours. I did not judge at all.

And thanks for sharing the icons
Quote:

I, on the other hand, do think it's selfish. Initially I thought you were referring to icons you made yourself. Then I saw your screenshot and reread your post.

You have a library with about 2000+ icons. Not your icons. Icons other people made. Icons made for anyone to freely use...and you're worried about people ripping off 'your' icon set? I've never seen such an instance of self entitlement in a long time.

There are tons of gracious designers who spend their free time creating icons and art for us to use, free of charge. 1) You cannot rip free work, it's already free. Why would anyone spend time trying to rip it if it's already available out there, directly from the creators, free to use. 2) You're not even the intellectual owner of the property. You didn't conceive the metaphor, design them, shade them, or do anything to aid in the creation process. They're not yours. The designers put them out there for people to use. People. As in anyone. Freely. TO USE. ANYONE. NOT JUST YOU. TO USE.

It's great that you've added their icons to your collection. That's why they're out there. That doesn't give you any rights to them. Just because you worked hard to collect the icons doesn't mean other people can't or shouldn't use them. That's some pretty stupid logic.

I understand you can choose whether or not you want to share your screenshot (obviously), what I can't understand is your reasons for not wanting to. It seems incredibly selfish, from what I gather.

Last edited by Yogurt : 08-25-2011 at 08:54 AM.

L'Étoile says thanks to Yogurt for this post.

Cliu91, L'Étoile like this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 08:51 AM   #28
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
I PMed u my scripts
Thanks

got my evening plans, haha xD

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 02:24 PM   #29
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
I, on the other hand, do think it's selfish. Initially I thought you were referring to icons you made yourself. Then I saw your screenshot and reread your post.

You have a library with about 2000+ icons. Not your icons. Icons other people made. Icons made for anyone to freely use...and you're worried about people ripping off 'your' icon set? I've never seen such an instance of self entitlement in a long time.

There are tons of gracious designers who spend their free time creating icons and art for us to use, free of charge. 1) You cannot rip free work, it's already free. Why would anyone spend time trying to rip it if it's already available out there, directly from the creators, free to use. 2) You're not even the intellectual owner of the property. You didn't conceive the metaphor, design them, shade them, or do anything to aid in the creation process. They're not yours. The designers put them out there for people to use. People. As in anyone. Freely. TO USE. ANYONE. NOT JUST YOU. TO USE.

It's great that you've added their icons to your collection. That's why they're out there. That doesn't give you any rights to them. Just because you worked hard to collect the icons doesn't mean other people can't or shouldn't use them. That's some pretty stupid logic.

I understand you can choose whether or not you want to share your screenshot (obviously), what I can't understand is your reasons for not wanting to. It seems incredibly selfish, from what I gather.
Yes, my compiled library of freeware icons. I never said I had rights to them. They're not my intellectual property or digital property.

But:
I didn't just go online and google 2000+ icons and download the entire set.
I spend 2 years handpicking that library from some absolute crap. It's like having a bookshelf or a wine list and just sharing your entire catalogue with the world. I am happy to tell you the websites I used:

DeviantArt
IconFactory
PixelGirlPresents
and various other links that branched off from those.

the same way I would tell you to go to Chapters if you wanted a limited edition version of a book I had. But I won't photocopy it for you.

I'm not going to put my library up for collective share unless I know you. No, they're not my icons. I said they were a library. It's not being selfish. If you saw my desktop and PMed me to invite you the Dropbox that I use to share those icons, by all means. They're not mine. If I find a cool icon set, I share that with people I know. But I also get a little pissed off when people I don't know ask to be invited to that library and just copy the setup exactly.

Now, some of my setup is using stock icon sets from Iconfactory. But not all of it. A lot has been customized, especially because I mix and match.

I think you're reading into this a bit much.
When one of the original posters asked to see my desktop after I said "I wasn't brave enough", I posted a screenshot. Now, if they wanted to know what icon set I used for some of it, they could PM me, and I would send it to them.

It's great that you think that's selfish though. You are entitled to your opinion to judge people based on one small perspective of theirs toward something, without knowing them at all.

Edit: However, I do understand and accept that saying "handcrafted" was a shitty choice of words because it does sound like I said they were mine. So I edited that for clarification and to emphasize they were not mine. I do appreciate you pointing that out. I do not claim things that are not mine.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 08-25-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2011 at 03:23 PM   #30
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Finally Got around to changing it.

Not completely happy with it but will work for now. I want to edit my wallpaper so I can display some of the information in a corner. GeekTools only lets you work with rectangles, I want Triangles!! lol

http://imageshack.us/f/508/screensho...28at4 09.png/