MacInsiders Logo

Mac scientists make blood cells from skin cells!

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...lood-from-skin

Dr Mick Bhatia's lab has discovered a way to make ADULT WBCs, RBCs and platelets--that is, the key components of blood--directly from adult human skin cells! This huge leap forward completely eliminates the middle step of creating stem cells that are then coaxed into other cells. When the previous method was used, it only created fetal blood cells, which are not very useful to adult patients, and these cells had a high propensity to become cancerous. All of the testing done so far indicates that blood cells produced by this new method are indistinguishable from normal blood cells.

The full article was published online today in Nature, one of the highest-impact science journals out there!

Published by
Account Disabled by User

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-08-2010 at 10:10 AM   #2
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times
so i guess getting swabbed the other day was a complete waste of time.. awesome that such groundbreaking research is happening at Mac though.

Old 11-08-2010 at 10:16 AM   #3
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times
Moar links:

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/1011....2010.588.html
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/main/news/new..._to_blood.html

Old 11-08-2010 at 10:51 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor_92 View Post
so i guess getting swabbed the other day was a complete waste of time.. awesome that such groundbreaking research is happening at Mac though.
This is only the beginning. A lot of further testing has to be done to make sure that these blood cells won`t have any adverse effects. Afterall, these were only tested in mice (but with human blood cells - not sure how that works). There`s still clinical trials and what not. But anyway, something like this won`t be implement for at least another 5-10 years.
Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXL68SFxc4M

dustman likes this.

Old 11-08-2010 at 10:58 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Thats pretty cool, I think Dr.Bhatia came and spoke at one of my bio lectures, hes a pretty smart guy

Yay, one more step to the defeat of leukemia !

Old 11-08-2010 at 11:09 AM   #6
escape

Liked: 38 Times
Exciting news!

i like how all ages are able to convert skin cells into adult blood cells - not just limited to young people.

Old 11-08-2010 at 06:14 PM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Suck it, Toronto!

lol.

AelyaS, jon.john23, noor91 like this.

Old 11-08-2010 at 07:13 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times
Way to go McMaster!