MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-25-2011 at 09:33 AM   #1
cristian

Liked: 1 Time

Mac vs, PC
Hey guys, I got in for Engineering I at mac and I wanted to ask the obvious question, what would be best for me in this program? A mac or a PC? I know most of the pros and cons of either system, I love macs due to the relatively virus-free way their OS is. Also, I know i can install bootcamp to run windows too but I wanted to ask you about your experiences and which one i should go for. Budget is not much of a problem.
Old 05-25-2011 at 09:48 AM   #2
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

I love my PC due to the relatively virus free operation, and love that i can VM to other operating systems, I also love the fact that my PC is probably same speced as a MBP 15, at a fraction, of the weight, and price, despite having a smash the shit out of it, and get another one warranty for three years.

Really though, either one is fine, buy on your own preference, I'd say PC due to a generally higher price to performance ratio.

cristian says thanks to Rubicon for this post.
Old 05-25-2011 at 09:49 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

This almost exactly the same thing as a topic that was posted a few weeks ago:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5.html?t=41395
Old 05-25-2011 at 09:54 AM   #4
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Since budget isn't a problem, I would say go for the Mac. You can always run windows applications alongside Mac OSX (Vmvare Fusion or Paralells) or setup Bootcamp.

Im not sure if specific windows programs are used in Engineering. But I've heard most people tend to write notes on paper for Math and Physics type courses.

If someone in Engineering could elaborate..
Old 05-25-2011 at 10:02 AM   #5
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

anyone who says macs are better are fools. Sure they are decent but you are paying premium (and I mean premium) for a mac. There is a site out there that shows you how much to the dollar you are overpaying for your mac.

PC can:

-Run Windows
-Run Linux
-Run Mac operating systems
-Play video games
-Use just about every program in existence
-Easily upgradable and cheap
-Easier to clean out too
-cheap
-PC are virus free unless you go on dangerous sites like:
-crack sites
-hacking sites
-pr0n
-torrent sites

On a side note MAC may have less chance of getting viruses but they still will get viruses. I have fixed about 5 MACs in the last year from serious virus that have damaged the operating system and/or other aspects of the mac.

Best thing for any engineer/science is the following:

Partition your hdd into 2 partitions and install windows on one and put something like ubuntu on the other. All you use is linux's boot loader and viola an awesome PC. I have this setup on my laptop. i do all my programming in Ubuntu and I do all the word documents, homework, regular web browsing on windows. If you hate having to reset your pc to switch between operating system you can put a virtual box on windows (or one on ubuntu) and run windows/ubuntu from that. If you feel this is too complex trust me it isn't that bad. There are walkthrough on the internet for this kind of stuff.

cristian says thanks to thedog123123 for this post.
Old 05-25-2011 at 11:47 AM   #6
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Ya I like how mac fans always boast about being able to run windows like you cant do the same on a pc, although no one does because there is no reason to run leopard ever when windows can do anything anyone could want.
Old 05-25-2011 at 11:55 AM   #7
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

ITT: PC enthusiasts whine about how inferiors Macs are, and bicker over which PC maker doesn't suck (Though they never seem to agree).

I personally prefer Macs. I wasn't really fond of laptops till I tried out a Macbook Pro. In the grand scheme of things, are you screwed either way? No. But I definitely would have regretted not getting a Macbook Pro. I love the thing. My friends to do. Up to you.
Old 05-25-2011 at 11:56 AM   #8
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

If budget is not a problem, buy both.

Engineering 1 involves a few software that does not available in Mac OS version (Inventor, Matlab) and you'll need a windows anyway. You can: 1) Run in on virtual machine, which is highly inefficient. I doubt you can run Inventor smoothly with Win7 (someone please correct me); or 2) Bootcamp, you'll need a restart every time you switch system. And its apparently more lags than in Mac environment. (Based on Thode's borrowed Macbook)

Plus Mac is ridiculously overpriced. Think yourself.

One more thing, Mac version MS Word 2008 does not support formula writing.

Add: some real useful advice. Go to Bestbuy or Futureshop or ask your friends and try both out. You are happier to use the one you like than the (technically) better one.

Last edited by mikefung : 05-25-2011 at 12:07 PM.

cristian says thanks to mikefung for this post.
Old 05-25-2011 at 12:05 PM   #9
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Another one of THESE threads eh

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 05-25-2011 at 12:13 PM   #10
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quasi-troll statement:

Anyone with a mac has more money than brains, LOL.

Though in all seriousness, I could never justify paying so much for a Macbook when other computers are so much cheaper for the same performance. I don't subscribe to the arguments that Macs are superior due to lack of malware. In this day and age, people should know how to navigate the internet without accumulating malware. If you don't, you're probably the type of person that blindly pays all the computer stores' special "setup" fees, or who pays someone $50 to reformat your computer when it stops working. People should be more tech savvy..

And then I've heard the argument that Mac batteries have a longer lifespan before you need to replace them. Okay.. Well, does that add up to a $700+ price difference for essentially the same hardware? I could buy 5 new batteries for that difference, so I don't buy that one either.

Last edited by Freak705 : 05-25-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2011 at 12:13 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

For Engineering,

I'd used a PC based laptop.
Old 05-25-2011 at 12:40 PM   #12
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

If you can afford a mac go for it, otherwise a PC would do just as good.

I don't think people have the right to say one is better than the other without having at least a couple of months with each laptop/operating system.

I have had the chance to use both and I deff do not regret buying my Macbook. There is so much that it has, that you will have to go through so much to have the same ability on a PC

The only thing you will be getting by going with a PC is 200-300$ depending on what model your buying.
Note: I am not bashing Windows, i am simply stating a facT. I cant go a single day without having to boot into windows.

If you need any more info on it let me know, I'm at work right now and cant stay on long. >.>
Ill add more later.

*** If you are buying a Macbook, you have to be willing to spend atleast a week on figuring everything out in order to truly appreciate it lol. Otherwise your just gonna end up hating it.

Also to all those sheep jokes! lol. I agree that there has lately been an influx of people buying Apple Products and have no idea how to use it. I feel like hitting my self in the head when i see people with Macbooks who only use Windows and dont take advantage of OS X

You guys need to respect the fact that there are people out there that know what they are doing and dont buy Mac's because they look nice. I assure you if we sat down for 10mins i would be able to show ya numerous reasons why i prefer my macbook over a PC

Last edited by Crzyrio : 05-25-2011 at 12:57 PM.

RememberTwce, xFLY like this.
Old 05-25-2011 at 01:22 PM   #13
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
If budget is not a problem, buy both.

Engineering 1 involves a few software that does not available in Mac OS version (Inventor, Matlab) and you'll need a windows anyway. You can: 1) Run in on virtual machine, which is highly inefficient. I doubt you can run Inventor smoothly with Win7 (someone please correct me); or 2) Bootcamp, you'll need a restart every time you switch system. And its apparently more lags than in Mac environment. (Based on Thode's borrowed Macbook)

Plus Mac is ridiculously overpriced. Think yourself.

One more thing, Mac version MS Word 2008 does not support formula writing.

Add: some real useful advice. Go to Bestbuy or Futureshop or ask your friends and try both out. You are happier to use the one you like than the (technically) better one.
Small correction: Matlab DOES work on a Mac. The only program you need windows for is AutoDesk Inventor.
Old 05-25-2011 at 02:33 PM   #14
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Mac's a way better university than PC.

L'Étoile, RyanC like this.
Old 05-25-2011 at 02:34 PM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Depends what program you're in though...

If you're in Social Sciences or something a Macbook is suitable for you but if you're in Engineering or in Computer Science for example, a window-based laptop is more friendly.