cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

I dont really go to starbucks so my vote is on PC
Old 07-15-2011 at 08:55 PM   #17
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

The primary reason why i have a Mac is the trackpad. No PC laptop has been able to replicate the experience provided by the macs trackpad. Also is Apples ability to provide a good display. The majority of PC manufactures play a 1200 doller price tag on their notebooks but offer a sub par display.
Old 07-15-2011 at 09:04 PM   #18
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
The primary reason why i have a Mac is the trackpad. No PC laptop has been able to replicate the experience provided by the macs trackpad.
Use a mouse? Lol
Old 07-15-2011 at 09:09 PM   #19
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Use a mouse? Lol
its just not the same i mean, its the simple things that matter to me. I love kinetic scrolling, expose the smoothness of all the multi touch gestures.
Old 07-15-2011 at 09:12 PM   #20
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
The primary reason why i have a Mac is the trackpad. No PC laptop has been able to replicate the experience provided by the macs trackpad. Also is Apples ability to provide a good display. The majority of PC manufactures play a 1200 doller price tag on their notebooks but offer a sub par display.
I spent 900 after taxes and got a damn good trackpad (textured, physically left AND right clickable) and a great resolution, a bright as hell IPS display, and also an extended 9-cell battery too.

Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads also have the best keyboards in the business, bar none.
Old 07-15-2011 at 09:14 PM   #21
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I spent 900 after taxes and got a damn good trackpad (textured, physically left AND right clickable) and a great resolution, a bright as hell IPS display, and also an extended 9-cell battery too.

Yeah, my lenovo is stylish (Y560), has a nice textured touchpad, and SOLID keyboard.
Old 07-15-2011 at 09:18 PM   #22
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:

The X220 has a sub par screen in terms of contrast and overall color spectrum. My father has one, it pales in comparison to my antiglare display. Great resolution, I cant help but laugh. Lets be real here, 1366*768 is plain abysmal and apples 13 inch macbook pro also has this problem. And the problem of the keypad does not exist in the hardware itself it is a software issue. Apple designs and creates the software itself, where as for your windows based computer its synaptics attempting to create one experience for all. To reiterate your X220 will never provide an experience similar to that on OS X.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:01 PM   #23
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

okay macbook pro is amazing for school work and games. I have one game and that's KOTOR
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:35 PM   #24
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
hooray for legitimate discussion! Thanks for not saying "it just works"
I just got a Mac last year after spending my childhood and high school years glued to a PC. One of the major reasons I got it was to try out a different OS and develop my own perspective on the argument instead of letting other people rant about it on the interwebs.

I know both sides of this argument and hate it when people are irrational, no matter which side they argue for.
Old 07-16-2011 at 12:11 AM   #25
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
if you are asking such a question you probably want a mac.

if money isn't a factor and you you use your computer only for casual stuff like internet and taking notes then get a mac. IMO PC users know they want a PC because of things like gaming, value, and advanced computing like programming or tweaking things or anything like that. Since you aren't sure it tells me you don't care about gaming or getting behind the scenes of your OS so pay more for the cool product with a simple OS and better than most PCs battery life. Also you can then go to a starbucks without feeling like an alien if you have a macbook.

p.s I actually hate macs, but I just have different priorities than the average unversity student.
a) Wow, when did mac become the "casual stuff" option. Seems weird still.

b) I take offense to the suggestion that Windows is better for programming.
i)If you use linux, I retract my comment.
ii) Native Unix is where it's at. Same goes for advanced computing.
iii) Tweaking... well... I have wine running on my mac... just have to get used to modifying makefiles.
iv) Or do you do the fake VB programming? Visual Studio is the disdain of my life. I've dealt with too many programs which companies built quickly without a thought for future modifications. The interface is too tied to the underlying hardware (make that software). You don't build a database to suit the form. You create the necessary data and formulas, then give it a face. Sorry... just started venting about software I'm stuck using for the summer. Definitely breaks way too much rules of programming.

c) I take no offense to your hate of macs... it's a common thing.

tl;dr Mac vs. Windows at programming... Mac wins. Mac vs. PC at programming... Linux wins. Mac vs. PC, TI-89 wins.

Last edited by kldv : 07-16-2011 at 12:36 AM.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 07-16-2011 at 12:30 AM   #26
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

@kldv, Your user title says "just some guy" but honestly you should be "the guy" you clearly understand what you are talking about and you prove your point effectively Thank god people like you exist other than people who just argue blindly.

You got yourself a secret admirer jk haha

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-16-2011 at 10:28 AM   #27
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
The X220 has a sub par screen in terms of contrast and overall color spectrum. My father has one, it pales in comparison to my antiglare display. Great resolution, I cant help but laugh. Lets be real here, 1366*768 is plain abysmal and apples 13 inch macbook pro also has this problem. And the problem of the keypad does not exist in the hardware itself it is a software issue. Apple designs and creates the software itself, where as for your windows based computer its synaptics attempting to create one experience for all. To reiterate your X220 will never provide an experience similar to that on OS X.
I wouldn't expect it to provide a similar experience. I'm not saying that my optioned-out X220 is better than the $350 more expensive base model 13" MacBook Pro, for that kind of price difference I'd damn well expect that the MBP will out-spec the Thinkpad. I really do think that Apple makes great laptops, I just don't think they're worth the extra cost based on what people actually need.

I like Windows because I have the option of tweaking things how I want them. One of the first things I did with my X220 was completely format and wipe it clean, and re-install Windows with a lean, clean, minimalistic image without the bundled software. I'll go through the extra few hours of work and pocket the $350, thanks

I also can't believe how disgusting it is when people put on their rose-coloured glasses in the Apple store, listening to everything the salesperson tells them, and plunking down thousands of dollars without consideration. Again, I'm not saying these are bad computers or anything, I just marvel at the Apple marketing machine and how so many people get sucked in.
Old 07-16-2011 at 11:15 AM   #28
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
I wouldn't expect it to provide a similar experience. I'm not saying that my optioned-out X220 is better than the $350 more expensive base model 13" MacBook Pro, for that kind of price difference I'd damn well expect that the MBP will out-spec the Thinkpad. I really do think that Apple makes great laptops, I just don't think they're worth the extra cost based on what people actually need.

I like Windows because I have the option of tweaking things how I want them. One of the first things I did with my X220 was completely format and wipe it clean, and re-install Windows with a lean, clean, minimalistic image without the bundled software. I'll go through the extra few hours of work and pocket the $350, thanks

I also can't believe how disgusting it is when people put on their rose-coloured glasses in the Apple store, listening to everything the salesperson tells them, and plunking down thousands of dollars without consideration. Again, I'm not saying these are bad computers or anything, I just marvel at the Apple marketing machine and how so many people get sucked in.
What kinds of tweaks are you talking about that you're doing to Windows?

One of the first things you don't need to do with an Apple computer is get rid of bloatware... I'm not sure why that's a selling point for Windows computers.
Old 07-16-2011 at 11:22 AM   #29
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
I agree, I only wanted to stress the importance of the trackpad and how large of a role it has played to facilitate success for apple. No pc manufacture has been to successfully imitate it. The latter bit does not only apple to apple employees. Have you been to a Future Shop? A few days ago the sales representative was telling a prospective buyer that the intel 3000 was an excellent card for gaming. Its human nature, if X wants to sell to Y, he/she will make it seem better than it actually is/lie to make the sale.
Old 07-16-2011 at 11:28 AM   #30
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

PC is better than Mac. If you don't know why, you are using a mac.

1) Price. Seriously there are websites that compare how ridcoulous some of the prices are for hardware options. (some of them make you lol)

2) Hardware. I'am sorry but I like to have a PC that can keep up with me. I do stuff on a pc very quickly and hence i want a computer where I get zero lag. Furthermore you haven't truly played a video game till you go max graphics with a top of the line pc.

3) programming. PC are easy to install multiple operating systems (by virtual box are just a dual boot). I do all my programming on ubuntu. nuff said. (I can also do alot of programming on windows as well.)

You might think But mac can have linux dual boot and yada yada yada. Do you really want to program on a simplistic mac? It is like having a kickass car (you name it: camero, veyron w/e) and coloring it pink with hello kitty pics on it and flowers. seriously GTFO.

My brother works for a company that does programming (and have video game tournaments on Fridays instead of the usual casual Friday option... lucky bastards...). Guess how many use macs? ...... 0