MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-16-2011 at 11:53 AM   #31
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
PC is better than Mac. If you don't know why, you are using a mac.

1) Price. Seriously there are websites that compare how ridcoulous some of the prices are for hardware options. (some of them make you lol)

2) Hardware. I'am sorry but I like to have a PC that can keep up with me. I do stuff on a pc very quickly and hence i want a computer where I get zero lag. Furthermore you haven't truly played a video game till you go max graphics with a top of the line pc.

3) programming. PC are easy to install multiple operating systems (by virtual box are just a dual boot). I do all my programming on ubuntu. nuff said. (I can also do alot of programming on windows as well.)

You might think But mac can have linux dual boot and yada yada yada. Do you really want to program on a simplistic mac? It is like having a kickass car (you name it: camero, veyron w/e) and coloring it pink with hello kitty pics on it and flowers. seriously GTFO.

My brother works for a company that does programming (and have video game tournaments on Fridays instead of the usual casual Friday option... lucky bastards...). Guess how many use macs? ...... 0

I don't have a problem with anyone giving their opinion. What I don't get is why people have to force their opinion onto others to satisfy themselves instead of just being content with whatever system they're using.

It seems to me your whole argument is based on what you prefer. You clearly game a lot and do a fair bit of programming. I can understand why a PC might be a much better fit for you. That being said, other people have different needs that may be better satisfied with a Mac. While Windows may be better for you, there are people out there who prefer OSX.

You can't say Windows is better in every single way when compared to OSX, that would just be silly. They each have their own strengths.

Also, it doesn't really matter what your brother's company uses as it doesn't speak for everyone who is of that calibre with computers. Randell Munroe, the writer of xkcd, has a Macbook Pro and I consider him to be a pretty smart guy.

Dopematic, Tailsnake like this.
Old 07-16-2011 at 11:59 AM   #32
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Either one is better depending on what you want from an Operating System. Mac OS is better for somethings, just like Windows OS. I agree with UlteriorMtve 100%.
Old 07-16-2011 at 12:23 PM   #33
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

It`s all about personal choice. Die-Hard Mac users hate on PC`s, the same goes with Die-Hard PC users. At the end of the day, there`s no convincing the other; so get what you like.
Old 07-16-2011 at 12:23 PM   #34
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Been using the same MacBook for the past 4 years. No complaints here.
Old 07-16-2011 at 02:02 PM   #35
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Your best options are to research a variety of PC's with the specs you're looking for, and go in person, avoid the sales associates and play around with them a bit. Then, go to the Apple store, again avoid the Geniuses, and play with their models.

I have a Mac, but I know it has problems.
I've always had my suspicions that I purchased a defective piece simply because of all the things that started going wrong very quickly. I don't game extensively and downloaded most files to my external HDD, but my motherboard blew out within 6 months. I need to emphasize the "blew out" part. It began heating up within 10-20 seconds beyond any normal operational temperature, and then there was a loud pop which screwed the hinge a bit. My Mac also lags considerably compared to models in the same class with the same specs, even with a complete reformat of the HDD.

So yes, I enjoy a Mac for the general stability, but I do not appreciate the quality of my build. A good Windows computer can rival the performance I sought from Macbooks easily, but I am not a big fan of the bloatware, as somebody else put it. I prefer OS X because it's so damn streamlined and everything is fairly straightforward. However, if I want to really toggle with my settings, as an experienced, but far from knowledge computer enthuiast, I prefer Windows.

The final call is yours to make, there is tons of information on the Web to support this decision and really, it boils down to what you need and what you like. If you provide that information, I think this discussion may be a lot more meaningful for you

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-16-2011 at 04:15 PM   #36
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Your best options are to research a variety of PC's with the specs you're looking for, and go in person, avoid the sales associates and play around with them a bit. Then, go to the Apple store, again avoid the Geniuses, and play with their models.

I have a Mac, but I know it has problems.
I've always had my suspicions that I purchased a defective piece simply because of all the things that started going wrong very quickly. I don't game extensively and downloaded most files to my external HDD, but my motherboard blew out within 6 months. I need to emphasize the "blew out" part. It began heating up within 10-20 seconds beyond any normal operational temperature, and then there was a loud pop which screwed the hinge a bit. My Mac also lags considerably compared to models in the same class with the same specs, even with a complete reformat of the HDD.

So yes, I enjoy a Mac for the general stability, but I do not appreciate the quality of my build. A good Windows computer can rival the performance I sought from Macbooks easily, but I am not a big fan of the bloatware, as somebody else put it. I prefer OS X because it's so damn streamlined and everything is fairly straightforward. However, if I want to really toggle with my settings, as an experienced, but far from knowledge computer enthuiast, I prefer Windows.

The final call is yours to make, there is tons of information on the Web to support this decision and really, it boils down to what you need and what you like. If you provide that information, I think this discussion may be a lot more meaningful for you
Side note aimed at current mac users/goodnews.inc: if you have any other major issues happen again, call apple and request a replacement. They have no problem giving you a replacement, and they give you the option of transferring your warranty or buying a new one. My first mac had some serious failures (mainboard died 3 times), I replaced it 3 months shy of my long-term warranty running out, I have to admit, the updated warranty was INSANE ($500), but, on the flip side, I got a new mac for $500 and this one is 2 years in without a problem. Worst thing I have had happen is the battery life drop down to 4 hours.

goodnews.inc says thanks to kldv for this post.
Old 07-16-2011 at 04:26 PM   #37
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Interesting; I never knew that. I've had massive problems with a very very loud fan. I've used several other Macs; none produce this kind of sound or heat, but every time I take it in, I get very pleasant customer service assistants but they tell me that there's nothing else that can be done. The fan got so loud one night that it woke me up and my bed is about 3 feet away.

Even when the motherboard was shot, they stated they found cat hair inside the system but again, nothing that could be done except a replacement of the parts, not the computer.

I'm not sure if at this point, whether I have those options or not. I know my Mac does not run like other Macs do, but I'm just not sure if it's something they'll make good on.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-16-2011 at 04:40 PM   #38
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Sorry to the others for briefly derailing this thread, but this is my last post in this respect, I swear.

Anyways, when you go in to talk to the apple techs, there is so much they can do. You can talk to people who can make a difference by phone instead. They will go through what your issues have been with you and judge whether or not it is worth replacing. Again, major issues are a strong case in your favour, but either way, they will get you to the point you're happy with your laptop. That's the reason Apple's customer service is so highly ranked both publicly and by private companies.

goodnews.inc says thanks to kldv for this post.
Old 07-18-2011 at 01:00 AM   #39
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldv View Post
a) Wow, when did mac become the "casual stuff" option. Seems weird still.

b) I take offense to the suggestion that Windows is better for programming.
i)If you use linux, I retract my comment.
ii) Native Unix is where it's at. Same goes for advanced computing.
iii) Tweaking... well... I have wine running on my mac... just have to get used to modifying makefiles.
iv) Or do you do the fake VB programming? Visual Studio is the disdain of my life. I've dealt with too many programs which companies built quickly without a thought for future modifications. The interface is too tied to the underlying hardware (make that software). You don't build a database to suit the form. You create the necessary data and formulas, then give it a face. Sorry... just started venting about software I'm stuck using for the summer. Definitely breaks way too much rules of programming.

c) I take no offense to your hate of macs... it's a common thing.

tl;dr Mac vs. Windows at programming... Mac wins. Mac vs. PC at programming... Linux wins. Mac vs. PC, TI-89 wins.
ya I know I remember when our family computer was a mac and it was so weird no one had them at the time now it seems to be becoming more standard IMO

when I say PC I include Linux as well because you can easily have both on any PC. I admit I do not have extensive programming usage in a mac so it isn't fair to say that. God no I'm not in grade 10 I'm not touching visual basic I actually had to think about what you were referring too lol

I'm sure there is a way you can tweak and access system files and stuff like that (I need to find a better term for this) on Mac OS but I know for a fact it is easy and encouraged to do so on PC's (including Linux).

and my disdain with mac's is almost entirely with the price tag and sudden cool factor they carry for no reason. Basically marketing just turned them into like an exclusive cool club like Blackberrys and longboards but don't get me started on longboards...
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:27 AM   #40
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I find it amusing that Mac users call their techs 'geniouses' and pc users call theirs..... 'other pc users'.

/more valuable contributions to thread

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:15 AM   #41
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I dont like a lot of the bias opinion we have here.

Both are Great Products it all depends on what you want and need.

First @UlteriorMtve. one of the +'ve of mac is its OS. Yes Mac's may lack in hardware but the OS
more than makes up for it, there is no need to believe that a mac will lag by doing to many thing. If anything
I assure you that someone running an i5 Mac could keep up with a PC on i7

That being said here is my outlook on things. I have been a PC user all my life untill 2 years ago.

Positives

-- OS X operating system is just amazing, far better than Windows (Although Windows 7 did a might good job catching up)
With the release of Lion next week it will be even better. Just the way everything flows makes doing
a lot of thigns easier. Not to mention the chances of you getting infected by a virus is a lot less likely.
You rarely ever have background process slowing down your computer aswell.

-- VMware is awseome, i used to be in a computer engineering course and bumped my ram to 8GB, there was a point
in one of my courses where i had OS X, Ubunto and Windows Running at the same time. No Lag within the operating
systems themselves. There was a little lag when switching spaces to the OS's however.

-- Bootcamp makes installing Windows, easier than installing Windows on a normal COmp.

-- Their Customer sevice is amazing. My first macbook was the non-unibody one and so it started to break open.
Was in at the Apple store at 1:15, they told me it is a common problem to come back in 30 mins. By 2pm i was
out with my macbook looking brand new at no charge.

-- Their resale value. I sold my year+ old Macbook for 850, i have bought it for 1100.

Negative (Windows Positive)

-- Gaming, Unless you get the 15in + the best you will be able to do is COD MW 2 on Medium-low. Other than
that the games are decenet with steam out for mac now it is nice. But like everyone has said if your up for some
serious gaming you most deff wont be able to do it on a Macbook.

-- Compatability. If you have been using Windows for awhile it will take you some time to find a replacement
program.

-- Learning Curve. Be prepared to spend a good 2 weeks going into the details of the system, <- if you dont
do this, there is no point in having a mac. There are soooo many 'easter eggs' in OS X that make it what it is.
There are a lot of people i know that have a Macbook but dont know how to use it to its potential,
and feels like they just wasted a good grand.

Mis-Conceptions

-- Mac's dont get viruses/malware
They do get them, but you have to be very oblivious to get one (compared to oblivious on windows xD i jk)
There was recently a wide spread malware attacks on Mac's. Apple did release a update to solve it immedeately. But
just keep that in mind

-- Mac's are not customizeable
That is like saying you cant paint your car a different color. Mac is just as cusomizeable as Windows.
-->http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3291158403/ . It might be a little harder but there are more and
more programs coming out making it easier as they become popular

-- Mac's Dont freeze
That is like saying certain cars dont get into accidents (can you tell i am enjoying myself with these?)
With my last Macbook, I had bad ram in there and God was it a nightmare. I would have constant lock up's
and a lot of times i would get the screen saying "YOU NEED TO SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER" compareable to
the blue screen of death.

-- Mac's are not upgradeable
That is like saying...(lol ill stop). They very much are, I have upgraded my ram to 8GB ram and
a 500GB Hybrid dive and all you need is a screw Driver. ONLY annoying part is the tiny ass screws Apple uses,
i have to invest in a Precision screwdriver set to change it lol (15$ from Canadian Tire). If you need more upgrades go get a Desktop

I SHALL ADD MORE WHEN I THINK OF IT. IF YA HAVE ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW. I ALSO MADE THE ASSUMPTION WE WERE TALKING ABOUT LAPTOPS
I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS SO IF YOU THING DIFFERENTLY DO TELL AND I SHALL CHECK

ALSO DONT MIND MY SPELLING AND GRAMMAR - I SHALL CORRECT IT LATER WHEN I HAVE TIME

Last edited by Crzyrio : 07-18-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Dopematic, kldv, RyanC like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 11:41 AM   #42
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
The primary reason why i have a Mac is the trackpad. No PC laptop has been able to replicate the experience provided by the macs trackpad. Also is Apples ability to provide a good display. The majority of PC manufactures play a 1200 doller price tag on their notebooks but offer a sub par display.
majority? can you source this or are you just pulling this out of nowhere?

This does not have anything to do with the quote, but for viruses, as macs become more popular, the likelihood of getting a virus becomes higher. As of now, there really is no point for the hackers out there to put the effort into exploiting mac OS's as it will not reach nearly as many computers as a virus directed at PC's. Also the fact that it is a lot different writing a malicious script for apple computers than it is for PC's.

Last edited by chappy89 : 07-18-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2011 at 12:37 PM   #43
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

@crysio Easy on the caps lock button. You might hurt someone.
I'am sorry what? "Make it easier to install windows". have you installed windows recently? A brain dead whale with 2 missing fins can install windows 7. Don't ask how.

On a side note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc

@ryanc. My parents call their tech support " my sons"

@commie8507 What do you mean poor display? I'am thinking like an etch-a-sketch but I don't know.

Now One thing I hate about PCs is the new windows OS. I have seen the videos and holy *^&^* I want to cry at how horrible it looks.
Old 07-18-2011 at 01:06 PM   #44
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
@crysio Easy on the caps lock button. You might hurt someone.
I'am sorry what? "Make it easier to install windows". have you installed windows recently? A brain dead whale with 2 missing fins can install windows 7. Don't ask how.

On a side note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc

@ryanc. My parents call their tech support " my sons"

@commie8507 What do you mean poor display? I'am thinking like an etch-a-sketch but I don't know.

Now One thing I hate about PCs is the new windows OS. I have seen the videos and holy *^&^* I want to cry at how horrible it looks.
Why do you have to be so aggressive for.. Those were just end notes. Those were also put in Caps so people like you read it and don't find stupid reasons to argue against my post.

I was referring to boot camp and its simplicity. The point was that you can install Windows.
Way to take only that out of my entire post.

Also, might as ask for links to the new Windows OS? I havent seen any, only seen the tablet ones.

I personally hope they build on Windows 7.

Last edited by Crzyrio : 07-18-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2011 at 07:12 AM   #45
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Why do you have to be so aggressive for.. Those were just end notes. Those were also put in Caps so people like you read it and don't find stupid reasons to argue against my post.

I was referring to boot camp and its simplicity. The point was that you can install Windows.
Way to take only that out of my entire post.

Also, might as ask for links to the new Windows OS? I havent seen any, only seen the tablet ones.

I personally hope they build on Windows 7.
Just do a search for "Windows 8" on your choice of search engine.