MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
What ever happened to MACCESS? scothoward General Discussion 5 09-25-2010 07:32 PM
Getting into MACCESS adnaanes Financial Aid 4 08-19-2010 03:22 PM
Earthquake shakes central Canada, U.S. lorend MacInsiders Announcements 17 06-24-2010 11:18 AM
McMaster Career Services launches all-new student blog: Water Cooler Gossip MPett Jobs & Employment Tips 0 11-10-2008 08:30 PM
Health Services at McMaster lorend MSU & On-Campus Services 0 08-09-2007 09:08 AM

MACCESS - Your new central hub for McMaster services!

Old 11-20-2008 at 06:00 PM   #30
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Goodluck to the winner of the second giftcard!

Old 11-20-2008 at 07:40 PM   #31
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Goodluck to the winner of the second giftcard!
Yeah, let those of us who can't get in know what you think of Maccess!

Old 11-22-2008 at 12:34 PM   #32
opensky

Liked: 2 Times
One of the concerns that I have is that with everything so centralized and easy to access, someone who logs into MACCESS just for WebCT would click on MUGSI just because it's there. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but for times when MUGSI is overcrowded and nearly impossible to get on (during grades release and course selection, for example), wouldn't this put an unneccessary strain on the system and make MUGSI reach its quota of students allowed on a time faster?

Also, I hope that MUGSI and WebCT are still kept separate and accessible through their own servers and URLs because I would hate to not be able to access a service just because one of them crashed or if MACCESS crashed.

Old 11-22-2008 at 09:37 PM   #33
thatdudeukno

This is awesome!!! Fantastic work.
EDIT: The only thing that bugs me is the webct integration. Would it not be better to integrate the actual website rather than the weird webct like links.

Last edited by thatdudeukno : 11-22-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Old 11-24-2008 at 11:27 AM   #34
alleyj

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opensky View Post
One of the concerns that I have is that with everything so centralized and easy to access, someone who logs into MACCESS just for WebCT would click on MUGSI just because it's there. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but for times when MUGSI is overcrowded and nearly impossible to get on (during grades release and course selection, for example), wouldn't this put an unneccessary strain on the system and make MUGSI reach its quota of students allowed on a time faster?
We wondered about this too. But, after we talked to a bunch of students we thought that at these prime times most students know what they are doing. And, by having a link to MUGSI with single sign-on in the tab, you don't take a MUGSI session just by clicking on the tab. We will monitor carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensky View Post
Also, I hope that MUGSI and WebCT are still kept separate and accessible through their own servers and URLs because I would hate to not be able to access a service just because one of them crashed or if MACCESS crashed.
Yes they are separate! The portal provides glue to bring other applications together but they are all independent. If WebCT fails, that tab would give a message that the system is not available. Everything else will work. If the portal itself fails, all components would be accessible from other links - but without the single sign-on. We have a contingency web page that MACCESS will be re-directed to if the portal fails and that page will have all the links in one spot.

Old 11-24-2008 at 11:32 AM   #35
alleyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
This is awesome!!! Fantastic work.
EDIT: The only thing that bugs me is the webct integration. Would it not be better to integrate the actual website rather than the weird webct like links.
We stuggled with this one and in the end we went this way for two reasons. If you were working on WebCT and then went to another tab and then back, you would be left at the WebCT start page instead of where you left off - which would be frustrating. Also, if you are in WebCT, the portal thinks you are not active (because you are not clicking portal tabs, etc). So, after 30 minutes your session would time out even if you are in the middle of something. The way it is setup now may be less elegant than the ideal, but we think it is better than the alternative.

Old 11-24-2008 at 11:35 AM   #36
alleyj

Both gift cards have been won
Many thanks to all of you who tried out the portal. The second gift card was won within 8 minutes of me posting the offer! There will be more opportunities this week (they will be advertised in the residences but open to all).

Old 11-24-2008 at 05:49 PM   #37
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
Large security flaw
Maccess is great in concept however, as I just found it, there is a large security flaw.

If you have a safe password (as in letters, numbers and special characters), chances are you can't log in. Also if your password is longer than 10 characters, you can't login. The only way you can login is if you change your password according to the following guidelines:
Quote:
  • use uppercase and lower case letters
  • use numbers
  • 10 characters or less
This is somewhat in contrast with the password guidelines we receive when trying to change the MAC ID password, at least 2 of the following:
Quote:
  • Uppercase letters
  • Lowercase letters
  • Numbers
  • Symbols
For a website which gives access to all kinds of personal information, one would expect security to be at least on par with the services to which it provides access (i.e. MUGSI, MUSS, WebCT).

I will not be using the site until the security issues are fixed. The service it provides is great in concept, but having to downgrade your personal security is not worth it.

Old 11-24-2008 at 09:03 PM   #38
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times
No wonder I can't get in...my password doesn't fit the guidelines!

Well then, I agree with Danny -- I'm not changing my password just so I can get into MACCESS. For now, I will stick to bookmarks for all the Mac websites .

Old 11-25-2008 at 09:55 AM   #39
alleyj

Password bug is NOT a security flaw
This is a clarification to the comments that DannyV posted about problems which he classifies as a "large security flaw" (and I think are only a bug). I'd like to thank DannyV for working with us behind the scenes to diagnose this bug. I think he may not have had all the information when he posted.

The criteria DannyV posted are NOT the limiting criteria for passwords. The maximum password length is greater than 35 characters (Why you would want more than that is beyond me). As per MUGSI standards, upper case letters, lower case letters and numbers are accepted. Unlike MUGSI, some (only a few) special characters are not recognized. I cannot reveal the special characters that are rejected without revealing characters in the passwords of people who have posted that they cannot log in.

So, there is a usability issue in that some students cannot log in until a fix is applied or unless they change their passwords. There is no security flaw. There is no need to weaken passwords. There is no greater risk to information stored in the system than there is in using MUGSI itself. Passwords can't be cracked any easier.

We have this on our top priority for fixes but you should feel comfortable continuing to use MACCESS.

Old 11-25-2008 at 08:42 PM   #40
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Hey Danny. You can still have a secure password with 35 characters of letters (upper/lowercase) and numbers. I wouldn't call it a 'security flaw', just a limit to which special characters can be used. I agree though that all special characters allowed in the services used within the portal should be allowed.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search