MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International Student Volunteers swissformula General Discussion 20 11-05-2009 09:08 PM
Announcement: Volunteers Needed. First Years Welcome. goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-20-2009 08:57 PM
FYEO Needs Volunteers! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-14-2009 10:57 AM

MacInsiders Needs Volunteers!

Old 06-04-2009 at 12:17 AM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

MacInsiders is a site run by McMaster students and for McMaster students, staff and community as a whole. We have had great success over the past two and a half years, with MacInsiders winning MSU Club of the Year in 2008, and the number of registered members currently exceeding 5600 individuals (!!!).

We have been improving the site more and more each year, and recently we have implemented more changes which we hope will make the site even better! Unfortunately the Exec Team is very small (four people), and we can't make all of the changes and improvements we would like on our own. Sooo...this is why we are asking all of our members to help us out! The more content you provide MacInsiders the bigger and better it will become!

Insiders Agents Team
This is a BRAND NEW way to help out MacInsiders! If you are a member of the team you will have a badge on your profile, have exclusive access to a special forum ONLY for Insiders Agents Team members, and a few other secret perks! Insiders Agents will be helping the Exec on special projects such as (but not limited to) promotions and marketing. If you are a member of the Insiders Agents Team, you can use the time you spend helping out towards completion for the Mary E. Keyes Leadership Program, or MacSTAR program as well as receive a letter of reference which you can utilize for post-grad or job applications. This is a great way for incoming first year students to get involved with MacInsiders and McMaster!

Please send a short paragraph about why you'd like to get involved and your username to [email protected] . We will get back to within seven business days about the status of your application. No prior experience necessary!

Posting on Forums

When you first checked out this site, it was most-likely to find the answers to a question, which was answered by one of your McMaster peers. People are always asking questions, and if you have the answer, or know how the poster can find it please post!

Writers/Contributers
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CLor enz%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTe mp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5C clip_filelist.xml"><! --[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSett ings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSetti ngs> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <wunctuationKerning /> <w:ValidateAgainstSch emas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>f alse</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent >false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlacehol derText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlacehold erText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables /> <w:SnapToGridInCell /> <w:WrapTextWithPunc t/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules /> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false " LatentStyleCount="156 "> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-CA; mso-fareast-language:EN-CA;} p.ListParagraph, li.ListParagraph, div.ListParagraph {mso-style-name:"List Paragraph"; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:.5in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-add-space:auto; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-CA; mso-fareast-language:EN-CA;} p.ListParagraphCxSpFi rst, li.ListParagraphCxSpF irst, div.ListParagraphCxSp First {mso-style-name:"List ParagraphCxSpFirst"; mso-style-type:export-only; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:.5in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-add-space:auto; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-CA; mso-fareast-language:EN-CA;} p.ListParagraphCxSpMi ddle, li.ListParagraphCxSpM iddle, div.ListParagraphCxSp Middle {mso-style-name:"List ParagraphCxSpMiddle"; mso-style-type:export-only; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:.5in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-add-space:auto; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-CA; mso-fareast-language:EN-CA;} p.ListParagraphCxSpLa st, li.ListParagraphCxSpL ast, div.ListParagraphCxSp Last {mso-style-name:"List ParagraphCxSpLast"; mso-style-type:export-only; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:.5in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-add-space:auto; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-CA; mso-fareast-language:EN-CA;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1250772189; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-485301974 -1714784624 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-start-at:1108; mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:-; mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> MacInsiders is always on the lookout for new article content! If you have something you'd like to submit, just post it in the Article Drafts for the Exec to check out. We will then post it when the article will benefit the most people!

Events
There are TONS of events that happen that students would be interested in at McMaster and Hamilton in addition to the surrounding areas. If you think we should add something to the main page and/or our new MacInsiders Events Calender please send your info to [email protected] OR you can PM Chad, temara.brown or lorend!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-16-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Chad says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-04-2009 at 11:32 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

We have already got some interest in the Insiders Agents team (and it's only been about 12 hours!) and that makes us really happy and excited!! We have had a few questions, and I thought I'd clarify for all of you.

Since participation in the Insiders Agents team is voluntary we are happy with as much time you can provide for us. This can be as little as an hour or two a week, or as much as 40+ (if you have that amount of time to give).

At present, all participation is online, but once we get closer to September and Welcome Week we may have some activities in Hamilton occurring. During the academic year participation will once again be primarily online, but there may be some in-person stuff as well. Unfortunately we as Exec are still in the planning stages so that is all the information I can offer at this time.

However if we notice that you are not participating at all (and without legitimate reason) we may be forced to remove you from the team.

If anyone has any questions please PM me and I'd be happy to answer!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Chad, jhan523 all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-04-2009 at 06:10 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Lots of applications coming in. FANTASTIC! Great to see! Can't wait to work with you all to make MacInsiders bigger and better than ever!
Old 06-05-2009 at 06:43 AM   #4
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Definitely interested! I'm going camping today though with my fell Maroon reps so I won't be back until Sunday. I hope I can still send in an email by then...It sounds like a wonderful volunteer opportunity.
Old 06-05-2009 at 07:24 AM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Hey Fadil! No problem, just send an email when you get back Enjoy camping!
Old 06-08-2009 at 10:17 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I'll definitely apply next year! When would I be able to apply exactly ?
Old 06-08-2009 at 10:31 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Apply when you can. We will be accepting applications on an ongoing basis and will inform you when we're looking to fill new positions. Right now our 'Insider Agent' team is BRAND new and we're super excited about it and taking on new staff
Old 06-09-2009 at 12:32 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
I'll definitely apply next year! When would I be able to apply exactly ?

You can apply RIGHT NOW if you want! We want incoming First Years on the team too!!

Old 06-09-2009 at 12:41 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You can apply RIGHT NOW if you want! We want incoming First Years on the team too!!
Awesome! I'll do it now! thanks guys!
Old 06-09-2009 at 06:15 AM   #10
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

So when will applicants begin to hear about the positions?

I'm excited
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:47 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

As stated above: "We will get back to within seven business days about the status of your application"

Old 06-09-2009 at 12:09 PM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Was just wondering...I probably won't have enough time to be an active member of MacInsiders, but I may be able to help.

Does MacInsiders have any problems with publicity? I may be able to help publicize through an ''alliance'' if you will, with MacBreak. I'm not an exec, but I could auggest it to the execs...they love putting on shows to help publicize other clubs and events.

(Last year for instance, we did shows all week for 5 Days for the Homeless in front of the student center, and helped collect funding, as well as some other projects)
Old 06-09-2009 at 12:16 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Was just wondering...I probably won't have enough time to be an active member of MacInsiders, but I may be able to help.

Does MacInsiders have any problems with publicity? I may be able to help publicize through an ''alliance'' if you will, with MacBreak. I'm not an exec, but I could auggest it to the execs...they love putting on shows to help publicize other clubs and events.

(Last year for instance, we did shows all week for 5 Days for the Homeless in front of the student center, and helped collect funding, as well as some other projects)
Hey Mowicz,

Although we don't have "problems" with publicity per se, we are always looking to find additional ways to get out there and become more well-known.

I have actually never heard of MacBreak before, but from what you've told me they seem like something really good for MI to partner up with.

And pffft. You not have time to be an active member? You're on here as much as I am.

Old 06-09-2009 at 01:04 PM   #14
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Working on the paragraph right now actually and also working on a cover letter for a job posting on OSCAR. Oh, how I love multitasking.
Old 06-09-2009 at 01:37 PM   #15
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Whoo! I've been approved as an Insider Agent! Thanks guys!

Chad, lorend, temara.brown all say thanks to davey for this post.