Grades Help Mac12 Academics 32 06-29-2009 02:31 PM

Maclean's Article: Your Grades Will Drop

Old 07-08-2010 at 03:09 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Maclean's Article: Your Grades Will Drop
You have been warned that when you get into university your grades will drop.

It's sad to say, but this is fairly common, happening across all faculties and to students in every institution.

Find out more from the article, here: http://oncampus.macleans.ca/educatio...des-will-drop/

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-11-2010 at 10:32 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

*bump*

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-11-2010 at 10:39 AM   #3
rated1234

Liked: 0 Times

true, high school grades so are inflated in comparison to university grades...many students can manage a 90+ by putting in little effort, yet this is not the case in university...i maanged to get a 100 in a few of my g.12 high school courses (even without getting perfect on every single evaluation), i doubt ill be able to keep my marks up in university...this article, again goes to show how flawed our high school system is :|
Old 07-11-2010 at 11:10 AM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Mine stayed the same. I think it depends on how lax/strict your high school was.

Most of the people in first year weren't used to the expectations of university and didn't learn a lot of the first year math/chemistry/biology concepts.

Old 07-11-2010 at 11:16 AM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

My grades went up, even though the stress was greater and I was more tired.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Equinox likes this.
Old 07-11-2010 at 11:23 AM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

My first year grades were about the same as my grade 9 grades. (aka horrible)

2nd year, with a few exceptions, was alright. A bit of an improvement (my sa was actually higher than first year's)

So, I'm pretty confident that by 4th year I'll be back up in the 90 range. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 07-11-2010 at 11:26 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
My first year grades were about the same as my grade 9 grades. (aka horrible)

2nd year, with a few exceptions, was alright. A bit of an improvement (my sa was actually higher than first year's)

So, I'm pretty confident that by 4th year I'll be back up in the 90 range. XD
The same thing happened to me. I found the patterns to be exactly like university. My grades dropped from elementary school to highschool. I also found the material to be boring and nonchallenging just like in grade 9. The material is starting to get a lot more interesting and a lot more challenging and I find I'm applying myself a lot more than in first year, just like high school.
Old 07-11-2010 at 12:01 PM   #8
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

I find huge first year classes to have lower marks. Once past those, it greatly depends on the prof: how much of the material they know, their English, senility, etc...

Not to say student effort doesn't count, just talking about the trends.
Old 07-11-2010 at 12:16 PM   #9
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

My first year grades were basically like my high school grades.

My second year my average dropped
Old 07-11-2010 at 12:27 PM   #10
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

First year grades for me dropped quite a bit. I never put much effort in high school (rarely did hmwrk unless it was graded) and still maintained relatively high marks, not the case in university as many would tell you.

Second year though my marks were waaaaaay better. First year was definetly a wake up call. =D
Old 07-11-2010 at 12:39 PM   #11
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I'm pretty worried about this. I've been getting (mostly) 90s in high school and I have pretty good work habits, so hopefully I don't drop below an 80 (Though as the article mentions, even a 70 isn't bad).
Old 07-11-2010 at 01:02 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
I'm pretty worried about this. I've been getting (mostly) 90s in high school and I have pretty good work habits, so hopefully I don't drop below an 80 (Though as the article mentions, even a 70 isn't bad).
It really depends on the highschool you attended and how they prepared you for university. If you have good work habits you should be good, just beware of peer pressure. Partying and hanging out is good once in a while, but not all the time.
Old 07-11-2010 at 04:22 PM   #13
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

I can't really speak for other Universities or even other faculties at McMaster, but from what I've seen in the Faculty of Science, a lot of students just didn't get the proper preparation from High School. This was especially evident in first year chemistry, where a lot of students that I tutored seemed completely oblivious to material that was in the SCH3U and SCH4U curriculum. It's definetely not the only cause for apparent mark drops, but it's a major one.

Old 07-11-2010 at 04:28 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
I can't really speak for other Universities or even other faculties at McMaster, but from what I've seen in the Faculty of Science, a lot of students just didn't get the proper preparation from High School. This was especially evident in first year chemistry, where a lot of students that I tutored seemed completely oblivious to material that was in the SCH3U and SCH4U curriculum. It's definetely not the only cause for apparent mark drops, but it's a major one.
Not to mention that a majority of students didn't even have lab experience or even experience writing reports.
Old 07-11-2010 at 04:49 PM   #15
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

My first year grades were basically like my high school grades. Unfortunately that made me slack off a bit in second year thinking I would easily emulate those grades. Big mistake.