MacInsiders Logo

MacPass 2012 - What it is, and what you get

Old 07-21-2012 at 11:35 AM   #16
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzy View Post
Ancillary Fee for CFMU-FM 17.29- what if I dont want to listen to McMaster radio (most dont anyways but we still pay)
you should totally listen to CFMU!
there are tons of local hamiltonians and Mac students that volunteer at CFMU. I am one of them. We have tons of different music/culture/talk programs that you won't get from mainstream radio. We feature a lot of local talent and members of the community. CFMU also participates in different music festivals in the city and we do a lot of fundraising to cover our costs.

SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION
Old 07-21-2012 at 04:23 PM   #17
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulie View Post
you should totally listen to CFMU!
there are tons of local hamiltonians and Mac students that volunteer at CFMU. I am one of them. We have tons of different music/culture/talk programs that you won't get from mainstream radio. We feature a lot of local talent and members of the community. CFMU also participates in different music festivals in the city and we do a lot of fundraising to cover our costs.

SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION

I do listen to it sometimes thats how I know about it. I just said this to make a point. Im sure you know over half the student population has not tuned into this station, some may not even know it exists.
Old 07-22-2012 at 05:34 PM   #18
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
You can opt out of other MSU fees, such as the Health plan, but this one you can't. This means that students who can't attend Welcome Week for whatever reason, or students who don't want to attend Welcome Week, or students who really need that extra money, lose $110 and can't do anything about it. Again, this is my only beef with this fee.
Yea, this is completely wrong. There is an opt out for various circumstances, and just like with the health/dental fee, you have to prove your circumstance is real...

Maybe it's a bit of an advantage to be aware of how your money is being spent, and to input your opinion on how your money is being spent... Maybe it's not only the "extroverted people" that came out and voted... Maybe it's the people that wanted a say in how their money was spent... Hmmm...

/end troll
Old 07-22-2012 at 09:43 PM   #19
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

This is why I wish they had a secret ballet at the half way and end point of the GA and the Eng one as well. In one vote, 1/3 of people abstained since if you voted against it, you would look like a dick even though 1/3 ABSTAINED. It was ridiculous, and that is when I lost faith in student government and gave up participating. If you vote against almost anything, the people that vote for it boo you and ridicule you, and that is not the way it should be done.

Since I pay for my own schooling, that is the reason I hate a lot of fees like this one. Its like when I found out about the yearbook fee and now this MacPass. I regretted the MacPass and didn't think it was worth it, especially when I had to work 10+ hours to pay for it. Tie that with the yearbook and it is 2 days pay for things I could have better spent on other things or days I could have taken off during the summer

bio.student2 says thanks to Snowman for this post.

bio.student2, Silver like this.
Old 07-23-2012 at 12:08 AM   #20
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

yea, this is unfortunate for 1st years. just another way for them to lose money.
Old 07-23-2012 at 06:07 PM   #21
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
That's true..i don't think I would have went that day if we didn't have the test !
I went to the "test" knowing full-well that it was bull and ended up leaving because the activities were lame.

Pretty unfair that these new students are subjected to a bull charge that, I'm sure, a lot of them won't be using. There ought to be an opt-out of sorts for those who have zero interest in the Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzy View Post
I do listen to it sometimes thats how I know about it. I just said this to make a point. Im sure you know over half the student population has not tuned into this station, some may not even know it exists.
Stop playing metal at midnight on Fridays. Not a good time. Also, in advance because I know the station will be a let down:

Nu-metal is not metal.

Old 08-19-2012 at 08:44 PM   #22
KittyLiang10

Liked: 0 Times

Just wondering if there's a way to check if the macpass fee has been added to your account. I was at mac last year and switched programs so i'm starting in a level 1 program again this year. I have no idea if i have to go to frosh week. I would really prefer not to. I went last year and it wasn't for me. Really upsetting to see this motion pass. It's not even the people who have to participate who are voting
Old 08-30-2012 at 06:40 PM   #23
phan108

Liked: 0 Times

I was wondering when do we pick our MacPasses? Do they have to email us when, or do we pick it up whenever we want to?
Thanks
Old 09-01-2012 at 11:54 AM   #24
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

You pick up your MacPass when you arrive on campus, and they can be picked up in the Sports Hall of DBAC (David Braley Athletic Centre)