MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster Wins The Vanier Cup - First In McMaster History Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-26-2011 02:34 AM
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM
Swine Flu -- Our university's preparedness aviaf General Discussion 37 06-11-2009 05:06 PM

MacPoint - McMaster University's Navigation App

Hey! Are you lost? Need some direction? Are you a first year student? Well then, let us get straight to the point. To MacPoint that is.

Introducing MacPoint – McMaster University’s 'Unofficial' navigational system. With this awesome app, you can easily start to discover what you always wanted to know within the reach of your fingertips.

You can easily identify and find the various buildings on campus by either searching its full name or with just its abbreviation. Plus, you can search up how to get from one building to another in quick and effective time! We have also included the locations of the hospitality services throughout the campus so that whenever you need to pull another one of those all-nighters and need to know which stores are still open, we got your back!

But wait, the best part is that for each building and service we have listed, we are providing you with their corresponding hours of operations. Now, you can figure out beforehand if you got enough time to run over to Timmy’s and get that ice cap before they close. You’re welcome.

We are hard at work cleaning up the app and adding more wanted features since we want MacPoint to be as personal and engaging for you as it can be. So please hit us up on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ with your feedback, criticism and suggestions on what you would like to see added, modified and/or changed and we will definitely look into it and let you know asap! Let’s get the ball rolling and make this the app which will save you a lot of time and energy during your time here at Mac!

We currently have it ready to use on the Android Play Store – but will also have it ready on the Blackberry World Portal and the Apple Store within the near future.

Download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...acpointt&hl=en

Stay connected with us, have your voice heard and let us know what you would like to see on MacPoint.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/OzoneBit
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OzoneBit
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzoneBit1
Google+: https://plus.google.com/115356990235...ampaign=chrome

Sincerely,

OzoneBit

Commie42 says thanks to ThusKann for this post.

Commie42, Kajeevan like this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-15-2013 at 07:57 AM   #2
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 416 Times
Thank goodness they didn't use weever apps this time. This feels like a proper Android app.

ThusKann says thanks to Afzal for this post.

ThusKann likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-15-2013
ZSimon
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-15-2013 at 04:25 PM   #3
kabness
Faculty: Engineering
Year: Third

Liked: 1 Time
This app is amazing! It's nice to be able to see the times each building is open all in one convenient location. I can also see it being really helpful for 1st years to find their classes. Definitely 5/5!

ThusKann says thanks to kabness for this post.

ThusKann likes this.
Old 09-15-2013 at 04:46 PM   #4
Blues
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: Prospective Student

I'm almost done at Mac, and I wish I had had this so many times over the last couple of years. I pretty much live on campus due to all the work and having a single clean app to look up where I can go eat and what is open is really handy. Thanks for this!

ThusKann says thanks to Blues for this post.

ThusKann likes this.

Old 09-15-2013 at 05:14 PM   #5
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 416 Times
Btw, this is one of the potential capstone projects for comp sci this year as well

Last edited by Afzal : 09-15-2013 at 06:27 PM.

ThusKann likes this.
Old 09-15-2013 at 06:01 PM   #6
monizm

Great Work!
I wish had this earlier, its perfect for late night studying! 9/10

ThusKann says thanks to monizm for this post.

ThusKann likes this.
Old 09-15-2013 at 07:33 PM   #7
Kajeevan
Year: First

Liked: 7 Times
This app is amazing!

ThusKann says thanks to Kajeevan for this post.

ThusKann likes this.
Old 09-24-2013 at 08:41 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 1,656 Times
I like the app, it's nice to have an easy way to look up when buildings are open rather than having to navigate all the crappy campus building websites using my smart phone.

Just an aesthetic suggestion though, rather than having the hours like this:

Code:
Monday: 0700 - 2100
I feel something like this would look nicer:

Code:
Monday: 7:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Even better, you could match it to locale settings on the person's phone so that it would automatically adjust between 12 and 24 hour time depending on what the phone is set to.

If you really want to make the app awesome, you could have the hours completely up to date, as in, they automatically change on holidays/time of year. etc. You could also do maybe different coloured markers that change depending on whether the building is presently open or not according to the time/date on the phone. That would make finding study spots late at night a lot easier.

Just some suggestions. Keep up the good work

ThusKann says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

Afzal, ThusKann like this.
Old 10-07-2013 at 07:15 PM   #9
ThusKann
Program: Software Engineering
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Thank you very much Ownaginatios - your feedback is very much appreciated. We have been considering many of the things you have mentioned and are happy to hear our users' ideas. Soon, this will be implemented.

By the way guys, check out Ownaginatios' really useful and successful project: The Quintessential TimeTable Generator. It is something that once you use it, you will ask why it wasn't made earlier!

The Quintessential TimeTable Generator

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search