MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Walking Dead Anyone? Chris23 Movies & Television 61 05-29-2013 05:56 PM
Anyone have a dead HP laptop? Ownaginatios Computers & Tech 33 08-12-2012 02:27 PM
Our Glorious Dead. burforbt Politics 2 11-02-2010 10:02 PM
Left 4 Dead 2 anyone? Kendoon Gaming 29 10-17-2010 02:24 AM

Maggie Thatcher Dead

Old 04-09-2013 at 11:36 AM   #16
Nelumbo

Liked: 2 Times

I don't think Thatcher was a dictator. (I bungled my meaning a bit)

I think Pinochet was, and belongs with the likes of Pol Pot. She was a long friend and supporter. She didn't abandon him when his regime ended (which was relatively recently).

Partying in the streets after her death isn't reflection of where humanity is now, its a reflection of how people feel about her... Again it is really common after horrible leaders pass away. Whether you think she was horrible or not - a lot of people do.

This article is a nice overview of her legacy: http://world.time.com/2013/04/08/mar...de-of-history/

Last edited by Nelumbo : 04-09-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2013 at 11:56 AM   #17
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post

>called Mandela a terrorist
>supported apartheid
>Mandela wins
>she goes and meets with him and shakes his hand

Is that how you stand up for your principles?
I think everyone makes mistakes/controversial decisions in their lives...now, I'm not exactly an expert on British history, but I should imagine that people would have the decency to allow a family some time to bury a little old lady who just died of a stroke. If...some random world leader I don't like is suddenly diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer, I'm not exactly about to bring out the champagne, am I? And if I did, what kind of person does that make me?
Old 04-09-2013 at 02:53 PM   #18
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

... I wonder what kind of parties will be held when Bush dies.... cus a lot of what people are criticizing Thatcher for, he too has done.

also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelumbo View Post
This article is a nice overview of her legacy: http://world.time.com/2013/04/08/mar...de-of-history/
I'm not trying to argue with you or anything here. But this is what I meant by polarizing information. There are some papers that have made her out to be a good person who brought back Britain from the verge of collapse and did a lot of good. and there are papers out there that endlessly bash here and publish all the negatives, protests, and parties that surround her life and death.

THIS makes it all that much harder to really tell what kind of person she really was, what her true policies and ideologies were, and whether she really did good for her nation or not.
Old 04-09-2013 at 03:17 PM   #19
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
... I wonder what kind of parties will be held when Bush dies.... cus a lot of what people are criticizing Thatcher for, he too has done.

also

I'm not trying to argue with you or anything here. But this is what I meant by polarizing information. There are some papers that have made her out to be a good person who brought back Britain from the verge of collapse and did a lot of good. and there are papers out there that endlessly bash here and publish all the negatives, protests, and parties that surround her life and death.

THIS makes it all that much harder to really tell what kind of person she really was, what her true policies and ideologies were, and whether she really did good for her nation or not.
No way. you read the articles, weigh what they say and make a choice. there are ppl she obvi benefited (rich ppl in SE england) and people who she harmed - africans, the working class, the rest of england, poor children. I really like swimming, but if you ask me what my favourite stroke is I'd say Maggie Thatcher's.
Old 04-09-2013 at 03:19 PM   #20
MelissaR

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Thats terrible that they did that! I don't care whether she was a good politician or not, she was still a person and they shouldn't celebrate her death. Would you want someone to do that to you? Incredibly cold.

Zebedee says thanks to MelissaR for this post.

Chevalier, Zebedee like this.
Old 04-09-2013 at 04:38 PM   #21
Nelumbo

Liked: 2 Times

Were you guys this upset when people partied when Saddam Hussein died?

I do think that when George W. Bush dies people will be partying in other countries - and that in America he will be made out to be a national hero.

I'm not partying over Thatcher - for the record. She didn't affect my life directly, unlike those partying in the UK. But,she was never held accountable for any of the things that she did that affected a world of people. Partying is really the only retribution she's ever going to get.

Would I be upset if this happened to me? Well, I have to answer for my actions and I can't just pass them off as mistakes. I haven't led any wars. I'm not buddies with mass murderers and I didn't give them safe harbor in my country so long that they would die peacefully without ever being convicted. There's just no way I could ever do the things she's done, even if I were willing to. I'm not too worried... Plus, I'll never even know if it were to happen to me, I'd be dead!

People are bringing up all the terrible things she did to try and paint a more fair picture of her life. She doesn't deserve to be remembered as a hero. I'm not denying the good things she did. But I think people really need to know the bad things she did. I feel that as a culture we think we need to view people at their death as either villians or heroes, when really everyone falls somewhere in between.

Atheist? likes this.