Math 1AA3 Midterm henry101 Academics 2 02-07-2012 08:25 AM
Math 1A03 Midterm Tomorrow ShesTheMan Academics 1 10-06-2010 07:55 PM
Math 1c03 midterm 2 OceanSpray Academics 2 03-04-2010 11:21 PM

Math 1AA3 Midterm

Old 02-07-2012 at 08:15 PM   #1
lisar

Liked: 8 Times

Math 1AA3 Midterm
For anyone who had this midterm, what did you guys think? I thought it was brutal; the questions seemed okay when you first looked at them but then I kept getting stuck because the integrals were so complex, i had like lns of lns and roots over roots, in the end, I just kept going and writing even if I knew it was not correct, just to get part marks. Wow, i never expected this course to be so hard, my friends who took it last year said it was way easier than what it is now...I hope they bellcurve it or something...that was ridiculous, way too long too. Ahh, i am in second year and this is like my hardest course, that test was harder than my organic chem one and that's really saying something. :S
Old 02-07-2012 at 08:38 PM   #2
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

I was stupid and forgot my calculator on my desk when I left res; luckily someone had an extra, but I was thrown off from the start. I NEVER EVER forget things. :S

Anyway, other than that, I had a rough time with some of the questions. It was one of those tests where I could tell the questions weren't supposed to be too bad, it's just that I couldn't do them, lol. Oh well.... I bought snacks afterwards, so I'm feeling better about it than I was.
Old 02-07-2012 at 08:51 PM   #3
henry101

Liked: 6 Times

Was long moreso than hard for me, couldn't finish the last question because there was not enough time. I thought there were a few tricky integrals that shouldn't have been there because integration shouldn't have been the focus. Unless I did it wrong of course...

BTW did anyone else have massive problems with that written assignment? That made the midterm feel like a cakewalk especially with that vault/dome question.

Last edited by henry101 : 02-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2012 at 09:25 PM   #4
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry101 View Post
Was long moreso than hard for me, couldn't finish the last question because there was not enough time. I thought there were a few tricky integrals that shouldn't have been there because integration shouldn't have been the focus. Unless I did it wrong of course...

BTW did anyone else have massive problems with that written assignment? That made the midterm feel like a cakewalk especially with that vault/dome question.
I completely agree. I was running out of time while doing the last question and didn't end up finishing it because it wasn't working out for some reason. Although it did make me feel better when Dr. Hurd announced (in T13/127, at least) with about 15 minutes left that some of the questions were a little too difficult. But overall I thought it was okay.

The assignment, on the other hand... Not so much. :\

Edit: Also, some of my answers were tripping me up so much. I think one of them involved something like e^e^t... It made me question my abilities quite a bit.
Old 02-07-2012 at 09:28 PM   #5
henry101

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
I completely agree. I was running out of time while doing the last question and didn't end up finishing it because it wasn't working out for some reason. Although it did make me feel better when Dr. Hurd announced (in T13/127, at least) with about 15 minutes left that some of the questions were a little too difficult. But overall I thought it was okay.

The assignment, on the other hand... Not so much. :\
that's a relief to hear.. considering he said his midterm was suppose to take 1 hr with 15 min to spare. lol
Old 02-08-2012 at 02:31 AM   #6
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

it would've been better with an integral table....

Old 02-08-2012 at 04:40 AM   #7
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitotst View Post
it would've been better with an integral table....
Didn't they warn you about not having a list of all the integrals? They did that for us last year.
Old 02-08-2012 at 06:54 AM   #8
lisar

Liked: 8 Times

Yeah, like the questions didn't seem like they were supposed to be hard but the integrals were so bad and so weird and i got e to the e something too, yay, that makes me feel a tiny bit better. Omg, the assignment was a nightmare, it was so hard. I don't know why this course is so hard, I didn't think it was one of the harder courses, they seem to have changed it this year.

That's a relief to hear Dr. Hurd say that but then like why would they make it like that if he himself knew it was too difficult? Our prof said we should be done in an hour, that didn't happen.
Old 02-08-2012 at 07:23 AM   #9
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisar View Post
That's a relief to hear Dr. Hurd say that but then like why would they make it like that if he himself knew it was too difficult? Our prof said we should be done in an hour, that didn't happen.
Yeah, I have no idea why they made it as difficult as it was. I guess he was going over it during the test and realized that most of us wouldn't have enough time, despite what the profs said about the test earlier on. But oh well, I'm just glad he realized that.
Old 02-08-2012 at 10:45 AM   #10
zwitter

Liked: 15 Times

Dr hurd announced 'accommodation will be made for some incomplete solutions on the test' this morning in class. I think it was way too long and had complicated unnecessary integration. Pre-bellcurve, I most definitely failed

kaitotst likes this.