MacInsiders Logo
Old 09-08-2016 at 11:00 PM   #1
degroote4life

Liked: 0 Times

MATH 2FM3 - Dr. Traian Pirvu
Hey has anyone taken this course before, if so did you find it difficult ? I think im pretty good at math (Got a 12 in math 1m03 lol). My prof is Dr. Traian Pirvu. Some advice or review on this class and prof would be really helpfull !
Old 09-17-2016 at 04:33 PM   #2
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

I had Math 2FM3 this summer with Jevtic. He's hilariously fun. The material is very useful if you're doing economics or finance.

As for the course, note that you are taking the required course for the actuarial "FM" exam. So if you don't do every single question in the book and learn everything, you're going to fall behind the actuarial students in the class. Also, you need to know the i & r & d and annuity stuff inside out because that's the foundation of all subsequent chapters.

I found I couldn't finish the tests in time. Still I got an A+ though. But I did literally do almost every question in the book. I think I skipped the chapter on risk cos it was end of semester and I tend to get bored of studying at that point.

degroote4life says thanks to old guy for this post.

degroote4life likes this.
Old 09-27-2016 at 08:09 PM   #3
degroote4life

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for everything ! looked everywhere to find a good review for the class couldn't find it. Ill defiantly be putting in the work for the class and hopefully write another review when im done for future students interested in this course that aren't acturial students
Old 10-07-2016 at 09:19 AM   #4
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Another bit of info - the class gets a *lot* more interesting and enjoyable after chapter 3 (amortization of loans etc). You get into bonds, forward swap rates, all sorts of cool financial markets stuff. So if you're struggling under the load right now, bear with it for just another couple weeks and afterwards you'll be happy you did.

And I've been told you probably want to take the actuarial FM exam as soon as possible after you're done the course. Even if you don't want to become an actuary, a pass on the FM will certainly look nice on your resume.

But you probably do want to become an actuary because they're the highest paid respectable profession in Canada.
Old 10-23-2016 at 08:46 AM   #5
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Don't write FM if you don't want to be an actuary. No one will recognize it and if they do, they won't care. It's a simple exam for basics of interest rate theory; you'll end up putting in more time than it's worth if you aren't actually pursuing the career.

Quote:
highest paid respectable profession in Canada
Lol - there are a ton of other jobs that fit this description better than an actuary.