MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Math 1K03 vs. Math 1F03, to take before Math 1M03 nazzymodes Academics 2 08-07-2012 04:41 PM

Math 3NA3

Math 3NA3
Numerical Linear Algebra / Numerical Explorations
Published by Imperious
06-29-2017
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
10%10%10%
Professor Rating
10%10%10%
Interest
10%10%10%
Easiness
10%10%10%
Average 10%
Math 3NA3

I took this course when it was still called Math 3Q03. Now it's called Math 3NA3 but it's literally the same content. I'm posting this review in wake of the recent email sent out to all math students recommending them to consider taking Math 3NA3. I would strongly advise against taking this course.

In my opinion, it's not even a "real math course" because you don't do any math except with the odd formulas here and there where you just simply sub in numbers. Many of the ideas brought up in this class are "as a result of this proof from statistics/real analysis/complex analysis, we can do so and so". But you actually don't need to have taken any statistics courses or analysis courses because you don't go in depth with those proofs nor do you actually prove anything rigorously in this course.

To survive in this class you need really strong MATLAB skills like to the point where you're using MATLAB for everything for every task in your life. The people who did well in this class were basically those who have had extensive MATLAB experience through outside projects. If you don't have extensive MATLAB experience this is not going to be a fun course.

Prerequisite is Math 2R03 and one of Math 1MP3 or Physics 2G03. You really don't need Math 2R03. There's one topic that you learn that may have been covered in 2R (depending on your instructor) but they don't really dwell on the topic nor do you even need to know the proof or why it works. You just use the result so 2R03 is definitely not a necessary prerequisite. Math 1MP3 is insufficient MATLAB experience for this course. I don't know about Physics 2G03.

In summary, worst course I have taken in my life. No real math going on here, just a lot of coding using results from areas of math that you do not even need to be familiar with and nothing really gets proved in this class. You just need to know that it works and that's that.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Math 3NA3!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search