MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-27-2009 at 06:32 PM   #1
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Math to Engineering
I was wondering if anyone has switched between math&stats and engineering. Would I have to basically retake first year, or is something worked out to avoid redoing first year?
Old 05-27-2009 at 06:46 PM   #2
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

You would have to meet the program requirements set by the faculty, including prerequisites and a certain GPA so you can transfer over to Engineering after first year. Seeing as Engineering has some specific engineering courses, you would probably have to start all over if you transfer.
Old 05-28-2009 at 06:44 AM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I've heard of eng --> math, but I'm sure that switch has been done too. Best to see counsellors from each side!

You'll probably have to take the equivalent of 1st year eng - its very different from other programs, mostly. (except math, I guess... you've probably taken that!)
Old 05-29-2009 at 03:21 PM   #4
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

One thing I can think of myself is Chemistry and any other pre-reqs that were required from Highschool. It's the reason why I stayed back an extra year (never took chem) and it's definitely something you'll need for first year eng. But really, going down to Mac and talking to someone in Gilmour hall or probably Jeanne Norris from the engineering faculty would be your first step in figuring things out.
Old 05-29-2009 at 10:10 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I've heard both...A friend of mine switched into 2nd year math after completion of 1st year engineering. This isn't very taxing because the first year math material isn't very profound. It's just a full year of calculus, and a half year of linear algebra...Engineers do more than that! But they essentially cover the same 'mathematical' material, with more applications.

However, a different friend of mine switched into first year engineering, after completion of level I math and stats. The reason he had to repeat first year is because Engineering is a very specialized field with very specific course requirements.

I suppose theoretically, if you took a lot of the sciences, physics and chemistry in particular, you may (possibly) be exempt from first year eng courses such as drafting. Jeanne Norris would be the person to see to discuss this, as RoyK mentioned, as well as the academic advisor for Science, Rita Campbell.

Make sure you go see them. If you can get any special consideration to avoid losing a year of your life, it's well worth the minor inconvenience of speaking to these people.